Android v2.3 Release Notes

OpinioNate

Previous version release notes

A new version of Geocaching for Android has been released to the Android Market, including the following updates:

• App is now available in German

• Ignore lists are now implemented for Premium Members

• Variety of bug fixes

Auf Deutsch:

• Die App ist jetzt in Deutsch verfügbar

• Ignorieren-Listen sind jetzt für Premium-Mitglieder implementiert

• Verschiedene Fehler wurden behoben

Why does the app now require access to the Phone state? This is a new permission requirement, and I can't see a reason for it.

- todpike

This permission is necessary for the app to collect information on phone model. We are using this information to see what devices are running the app and to target our testing/development accordingly.

How can i add a new waypoint, final location of a Mystery or the next stage of a multi cache?!
From the cache description view, try either of the following:

Navigate to Geocache > Map > Menu > Add Waypoint

Navigate to Geocache > Compass > Menu > Destination > Add Waypoint...

How can i add a new waypoint, final location of a Mystery or the next stage of a multi cache?!
From the cache description view, try either of the following:

Navigate to Geocache > Map > Menu > Add Waypoint

Navigate to Geocache > Compass > Menu > Destination > Add Waypoint...

cool, I didn't know about that either. Thanks!

The new release seems to think my time zone is wrong and it isn't. It won't sign in at all.... force close. I can't geocache till this issue is fixed.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? We have heard no other reports of this issue following this release.

I don't think collecting development data is a good enough reason to suddenly start demanding phone identity access. This gives access to far too much personal data than many of us are prepared to grant. That is an incredibly unfair decision that will make a lot of people abandon this app, which judging from some of the recent reviews on the app market, they already have due to permission issues.

I think you can safely assume that if it runs android, then someone is using it. You don't need our phone numbers, serial numbers, call state info and call histories to figure out who's using what. It's just privacy invasion.

The new release seems to think my time zone is wrong and it isn't. It won't sign in at all.... force close. I can't geocache till this issue is fixed.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? We have heard no other reports of this issue following this release.

I'm seeing the same issue as well. Everything was working OK with Geocaching 2.2.x and even 2.3 when I first installed it. I decided to wipe my data and reload GC 2.3. Now, I get a wrong date/time error when I try to login even though my phone's settings are correct.

I'm seeing the same issue as well. Everything was working OK with Geocaching 2.2.x and even 2.3 when I first installed it. I decided to wipe my data and reload GC 2.3. Now, I get a wrong date/time error when I try to login even though my phone's settings are correct.

I too am having the same issue , I have uninstantiated and re installed and the issue remains it says - your device / time may be incorrect - but it is not my time IS correct GMT

when more than one get the same issue i think the update has a flaw in it to allow this to happen . please can you let me and others know how to resolve this issue so we can use our androids

I too am having the same issue , I have uninstantiated and re installed and the issue remains it says - your device / time may be incorrect - but it is not my time IS correct GMT

when more than one get the same issue i think the update has a flaw in it to allow this to happen . please can you let me and others know how to resolve this issue so we can use our androids

Add me to the list- same issue here. Cannot login, date/time is correct...

Same here. First time ever I installed it. I did a reset of my phone yesterday and bought the program today. So did my girlfriend with an iPhone 3GS. She's having lots of problems too, but for now, let's start with the issue that I can't login because of the time/date thing

+

It couldn't connect to Geocaching.com to find caches. Weird thing is that it did work when we were home but not when we came out. c:geo could find caches no problemo..

Same here. First time ever I installed it. I did a reset of my phone yesterday and bought the program today. So did my girlfriend with an iPhone 3GS. She's having lots of problems too, but for now, let's start with the issue that I can't login because of the time/date thing

+

It couldn't connect to Geocaching.com to find caches. Weird thing is that it did work when we were home but not when we came out. c:geo could find caches no problemo..

Here also, same timezone issue.

cannot login..

+

Here also, same timezone issue.

cannot login..

Digging around a bit more, I think this may be an issue with the API itself and not the app. Other Geocaching Live API programs I have (like GSAK) are also encountering delays and failures. I think the Geocaching app just isn't very smart about the communicating the error it's getting. Instead of saying timeout or connection failure, it's defaulting to this wrong date/time message.

Same issue for us. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times with no change. This appears to be a BIG problem for many...please get this fixed asap. We've now lost an entire day of caching..weekends are the only time we can get out and that time has now been lost!

Same issue for us. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times with no change. This appears to be a BIG problem for many...please get this fixed asap. We've now lost an entire day of caching..weekends are the only time we can get out and that time has now been lost!

Try installing it. Haven´t you tried it before it was released?

End please, make a commeent about it, soon. Ypu will have thousends of complains otherwise.

Quote from GC.com --- "Download active pocket queries for use while outside of network coverage"

sure it's possible to down load them and they are all there but there isn't anyway to search them by GC code.

Quote from GC.com --- "If your phone does not support GPS, it will use the cellular network to determine your location. If the phone is unable to determine a location, you will still be able to access cache information and view maps to use in coordination with another GPS device. You will also have access to previously downloaded Pocket Queries and caches saved for offline use."

Unless you have a GPS or have a internet conection in the phone or cell phone coverage this app is useless there is no way to search the data base.

Please tell me I'm missing something, because if I hadn't paid for it I would get rid of it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit off, but you have made about NZ$44820, surely you could afford to write a manual

Edited by Shenanigans NZ
:mad: :mad: I am also having issues where the time zone is "incorrect" but all my settings are correct. I was able to log in and do everything I wanted to before. And now, after this update I haven't been able to log in. Attempted to uninstall and re install multiple times. :mad: :mad:

:mad: :mad: I am also having issues where the time zone is "incorrect" but all my settings are correct. I was able to log in and do everything I wanted to before. And now, after this update I haven't been able to log in. Attempted to uninstall and re install multiple times. :mad: :mad:

I've sucessfully reconnected to this application after uninstalling, rebooting my phone and reinstalling. Took a long time though :-(

If you see the "time zone" message, it actually means that there are problems with authentication. This was a significant issue this past weekend when we had server errors and the API could not properly connect.

If you continue to experience this issue, please send an email to contact@geocaching.com. We can send you an app to install that will provide more information on the authentication error you are encountering and help us to troubleshoot your issue.

Quote from GC.com --- "Download active pocket queries for use while outside of network coverage"

sure it's possible to down load them and they are all there but there isn't anyway to search them by GC code.

Quote from GC.com --- "If your phone does not support GPS, it will use the cellular network to determine your location. If the phone is unable to determine a location, you will still be able to access cache information and view maps to use in coordination with another GPS device. You will also have access to previously downloaded Pocket Queries and caches saved for offline use."

Unless you have a GPS or have a internet conection in the phone or cell phone coverage this app is useless there is no way to search the data base.

Please tell me I'm missing something, because if I hadn't paid for it I would get rid of it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit off, but you have made about NZ$44820, surely you could afford to write a manual

We have a manual at geocaching.com/android/tutorial

Yes, when you have wifi or 3G access, you can search on the Geocaching app for caches near you, including the GC code.

When you have 3G or wifi access and can connect to geocaching.com, you can save the Pocket Queries or search result lists for offline use. Then when you are not connected to 3G or wifi, you can still view the full cache details and navigate on the map using the built in GPS. Please note this may not be as accurate because the phone usually uses cell towers, wifi locators and the built in GPS receiver to find your location.

Once you are offline, you would not be able to connect to geocaching.com so you would not be able to search for caches that are not already saved on the app.

Currently, there isn't a way to filter and search within lists of saved caches. This has been suggested previously and we are looking into it.

Yes, when you have wifi or 3G access, you can search on the Geocaching app for caches near you, including the GC code.

When you have 3G or wifi access and can connect to geocaching.com, you can save the Pocket Queries or search result lists for offline use. Then when you are not connected to 3G or wifi, you can still view the full cache details and navigate on the map using the built in GPS. Please note this may not be as accurate because the phone usually uses cell towers, wifi locators and the built in GPS receiver to find your location.

Once you are offline, you would not be able to connect to geocaching.com so you would not be able to search for caches that are not already saved on the app.

Currently, there isn't a way to filter and search within lists of saved caches. This has been suggested previously and we are looking into it.

You can sort within offline lists by distance, GC code , title, terrain, difficulty, type and favorite points. There currently isn't a way to search for a specific cache within these lists though.

You can sort within offline lists by distance, GC code , title, terrain, difficulty, type and favorite points. There currently isn't a way to search for a specific cache within these lists though.

I really wished GC.com had made this clearer, If I known that I couldn’t search by GC code in the saved list I would never have brought it, I would have stuck with Geodroid where I can search by GC code off line. I brought this app because there are some other nice features which I liked, but I wont be testing those now because I wont be using this app until this problem is fixed.

The distance sorting is very confusing:

I (actually my device B) ) am at point A and search for caches around another point B because I plan to go to B.

The returned list is sorted by distance to point A. Why?

I think this sorting is very confusing. A possible "workaround" is to make use of the "map it" function.

On the website you can see all details of archived caches.

With the app it is possible to download archived caches (PQ of bookmark) and view every detail exept for the coordinates.

As geocaching is all about locations i would like to be able to

-see the coordinates off all listings (including archived ones)

-be able to navigate to all caches (including archived ones)

Is there a workaround?

I could not even enter coordinates manually because the map mode is deactivated.

Note: This issue has nothing to do with the PQ - it contains the coordinates.

As I understand it, the coordinates for archived caches are deliberately hard to see (especially for mobile users) because Groundspeak wants to be able to assure land managers that once a cache is archived, geocachers will stop searching for it.

To stop this problem happening again, can we have a free trial period, then I would have just unloaded it and carried on looking else where.

This is not a bug because it is not broken. It is a feature request because you suggested to implement a feature the app does not currently have. If you are unhappy with the Geocaching app for Android, please email contact@geocaching.com.

As I understand it, the coordinates for archived caches are deliberately hard to see (especially for mobile users) because Groundspeak wants to be able to assure land managers that once a cache is archived, geocachers will stop searching for it.

That's how I understand it. Thanks, niraD.

Previous version release notes

A new version of Geocaching for Android has been released to the Android Market, including the following updates:

• App is now available in German

• Ignore lists are now implemented for Premium Members

• Variety of bug fixes

Auf Deutsch:

• Die App ist jetzt in Deutsch verfügbar

• Ignorieren-Listen sind jetzt für Premium-Mitglieder implementiert

• Verschiedene Fehler wurden behoben

Where is the 2.3.1 Release notes