Garmin Montana 650 car navigation problem GPS gets stuck at "continue to"
Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:17 AM
My Garmin Montana does not work well for car navigation. Very often, the navigation gets stuck at "continue to (...)", rather than showing me the actual distances etc. When the navigation is stuck at "continue to", I don't get any verbal directions.
The GPS definitely knows where I am, because it displays my position more or less correctly, and the track log looks completely normal.
The problem is sometimes solved by restarting the device, but this doesn't work every time. Sometimes I do 10 restarts without success. Somehow I have the feeling that restarts without the car mount have a higher success rate than restarts performed in the car mount. Perhaps the GPS doesn't shut completely down while in the car mount? But I might be mistaken about this.
I have a few observations that might help detect what the problem is:
* I have noticed that the display of my track log on the GPS screen does not always match the indicator of my current location (car or triangle icon):
- Sometimes when I'm using the GPS with a flat/2D map and direct routing, the triangle that should represent my location, gets stuck and doesn't move. The track log on the screen keeps updating correctly, so that the end of the track represents my correct location, while the position indicator remains somewhere I have been some minutes earlier.
- When I'm experiencing the "continue to" problem in automotive mode, I see that the track log on the screen often moves a few meters ahead of the position indicator (car). After a second or so, the two line up again, but after another second, the track log is once again ahead of the position indicator.
- When I'm NOT experiencing this problem in automotive mode, the two (track log + position indicator) move together in a much smoother fashion.
* Sometimes when I touch the screen to display the "flat" map, I see that the pink line (indicating the active route) does not start at my current location. It passes through my current location, but goes back along the road where I have just driven.
* Sometimes, especially (but not only) if I drive take a different turn than the GPS has planned, the GPS says "recalculating" 10-30 times. SOMETIMES, but not always, I get proper routing (with distances and verbal directions) after this.
I am using the following items:
* Garmin Montana 650, firmware 3.9
* City Navigator maps of Europe (no other maps enabled)
* Garmin's "Vehicle Suction Cup Mount with Vehicle Power Cable"
My automotive profile has these settings:
Orientation: Automotive mode
Guidance text: Never
Map speed: Fast
- auto zoom: on
- detail: normal
- shaded relief: do not show
Setup - routing:
Activity: automotive driving
Calculation method: minimize time
Lock on road: yes
Avoidance setup: avoid u-turns, unpaved roads
Off route recalculation: automatic
Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:34 AM
The text at the top just keeps hanging for a while, and at short roads sometimes lags a street or 2-3. Luckily my map is updating all the time, so I only need to follow the arrow and purple route-line.
I don't use my device in a mount, so I don't know about voice (I am more than satisfied with a simple beep actually).
Hopefully one day the problem will be fixed. Best suggestion is to e-mail the Montana team so they are aware of the problem and if they start solving problems, based on the amount of reports, this one will eventually appear on top of the stack.
Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:36 PM
Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:55 PM
So far, my only solutions have been to reboot the device or to drive an alternative route in order to produce a recalculation. Even these tricks don't work every time.
Perhaps there is a problem with my device?
Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:29 AM
I bought a Montana 600 about half a year ago and I started to experience exactly the same problem as you describe during the last month or two. In the beginning it worked perfectly. I did not notice after which firmware update that started. Now I have v4.60 and it is having the problem almost all the time. I just tried factory reset on the device and need to go out and try if it helps.