Satellite/Aerial Imagry Handheld Roundup/Experience
Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:00 PM
So I'm thinking maybe my trusty 60csx could do with a imagery compatible upgrade. Spent the last half hour poking around but thought some real experience might be more direct.
- We cache some, pretty much any gps will suite our needs for this.
- Not a fan of subscriptions, One off purchase ok, not worried about instant changes in imagery
- Like Garmin's openess for creating your own maps... Is there a similar effort for imagery layers:
- Anyone have experience with Mobile Atlas Creator? Looks like the Google earth imagery option was just pulled? Any other way of getting Google/ whomever's imagery onto your Handheld?
- Any general sites with reviews of imagery overlay handhelds?
Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:11 PM
That's a shame - it's the easiest way to get a consistent bunch of imagery, whether you go with DeLorme or Garmin.
You absolutely can find, download, stitch together all the maps you want for "free" using something lile MOBAC. But time is money and the subscription fees you don't like would certainly save you more than $30/year in effort.
Image used by permission.
This post has been edited by Portland Cyclist: 16 April 2012 - 01:14 PM
Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:03 PM
After building the trail on the imagery, it can only be uploaded onto a DeLorme handheld GPSr such as:
Note that the view on the handheld will only be in 2D.