Contents of the Original Stash

I have been contemplating creating an Original Stash tribute cache. I want it to be practically the same as the first one with only a few minor differences.

I want to include all of the original stash items in it but i want to be as accurate as i can be. What were the items? the cache listing says it had the following:

Delorme Topo USA Does anyone know which version?

2 CD Roms What does this mean? Two CD's or two CD drives for computers (large-ish box things)? What was on them (if anything)?

a cassette recorder Easy

a "George of the Jungle" VHS tape Already have acquired this

a Ross Perot book Which one?

4 $1 bills Easy

a slingshot handle Easy

a pretty notorious can of beans Easy

Most of these items are pretty straight forward, but if anyone can answer my questions in redThat would be really helpful.

It would be nice to get this one started by May 3rd, but with time creeping up so quickly, it looks like that is not going to happen.

I have been contemplating creating an Original Stash tribute cache. I want it to be practically the same as the first one with only a few minor differences.

I want to include all of the original stash items in it but i want to be as accurate as i can be. What were the items? the cache listing says it had the following:

Delorme Topo USA Does anyone know which version?

2 CD Roms What does this mean? Two CD's or two CD drives for computers (large-ish box things)? What was on them (if anything)?

a cassette recorder Easy

a "George of the Jungle" VHS tape Already have acquired this

a Ross Perot book Which one?

4 $1 bills Easy

a slingshot handle Easy

a pretty notorious can of beans Easy

Most of these items are pretty straight forward, but if anyone can answer my questions in redThat would be really helpful.

It would be nice to get this one started by May 3rd, but with time creeping up so quickly, it looks like that is not going to happen.

Of course, the Guidelines now in place would make the OS unpublishable, I do believe.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

3. Contents are appropriate for outdoor life. Food items or scented items are inappropriate and disallowed. Animals have a keen sense of smell and have been known to destroy containers to get to these items. Items that may melt in the heat, such as crayons or lip balm, or expand in the cold, such as liquids, should also be excluded from caches.

B.

My plan is to do the following:

Can of beans - now a can of blackeye peas as we have since discovered (open at the bottom of the can, empty out, seal the can with rust inhibitor)

The stash will be hidden above ground, however i do plan on making a base for it to look like it is actually under ground. When i decide where i want it hidden, it may be in a pre-existing depression in the earth, or it may be a mound of rocks/dirt i build around it. It will look simillar to the original.

The stash will be placed in the bottom of the bucket and a round piece of clear plastic will be silliconed over it so that you cant touch/trade the items. There should be plenty of room above the plastic for new swaps/trackables.

Thanks for your link to the video Ambrosia, That pretty much answered most of my questions.

As others have said, the cache would have to be slightly modified to fit the current guidelines.

Just for fun, I roughly recreated the first cache for our 10 year event. :)

Here's a video by Dave Ulmer, showing the first cache and contents:

The stash will be placed in the bottom of the bucket and a round piece of clear plastic will be silliconed over it so that you cant touch/trade the items. There should be plenty of room above the plastic for new swaps/trackables.

I was thinking of suggesting that, but never made it back to the thread. Neat idea. Preserve the 'original' stash contents, but let it still function as an ongoing cache. I'd love to find it.

Black eye peas are beans.

And beans are peas. :)

Both are legumes with seeds borne in a pod structure.

It would take 5000 botanists 5000 years to determine the extremely fine dividing line between peas and beans.

By the time they had their answer, peas and beans would have evolved and they would have to start over! :lol:

BTW, peanuts are a type of pea/bean! :o

Black eye peas are beans.

And beans are peas. :)

Both are legumes with seeds borne in a pod structure.

It would take 5000 botanists 5000 years to determine the extremely fine dividing line between peas and beans.

By the time they had their answer, peas and beans would have evolved and they would have to start over! :lol:

BTW, peanuts are a type of pea/bean! :o

I'm not a botanist, but from what I've read beans and peas are both legumes. However, there does seem to be a difference. Not sure what, or how great.

However, for the sake of this thread, it was proper to call the swag "a can of beans". :P

Black eye peas are generally sold as beans.

So here is what I have found

Delorme Topo USA Version 1.0 you can see a picture of it here

2 CD Roms Dont know exactly which ones, but I know that it is two Delorme Software CDs. The Delorme Topo USA comes with 4 CDs. I think two are the Topo Maps, and Two are the programs to support them. I think these two CDs are from the Delorme Topo USA set. You breifly see one of the CDs in the video and it has the word "1.0 explorer" written in green on it.

a cassette recorder Dont know what brand but it is silver and relatively compact. You can briefly see it in the video around 44 seconds in.

a "George of the Jungle" VHS tape

a Ross Perot book - the book is called Ross Perot: In His Own Words, by Tony Chiu

4 $1 bills

a slingshot handle - Aluminium Handle with "air holes" drilled in it.

a pretty notorious can of beans Western Family Blackeye Peas. Yes they are actually beans. Dont tell Will.i.am this.

the stash container is a black plastic 5gal bucket.

A lot of this information is care of Team 360 who contacted me by email when they saw this thread. They know Dave Ulmer, the original stash owner, and are the caretakers of the O.C.B.

Some of the information also came from

.Check out the part around 1:46 of the video.

Thanks for everyone else who helped in finding this info out. When its complete I will post photos here.

Neat idea. Preserve the 'original' stash contents, but let it still function as an ongoing cache. I'd love to find it.

If you want to find it you will have to come to Queensland, Australia.

Cheers,

The Talent

Here's the Original Can of Beans

TBGJAA

I searched for that and it is "unpublished" ?!?

Just as a side note. Myself and AJ.JR had the pleasure of sitting down with Dave Ulmer and Jeff (Team 360 or aka Indiana Jeff) a fews back for a few beers in Chandler (AZ.) and talked about "geo"caching and the original stash. Surprisingly Dave was not real happy with the direction geocaching was heading. I think he was a little taken aback with the scope and popularity of the game and what it had evolved into at that time. I wonder what his feelings are today. He also really didn't spend much time caching and only did so every once in awhile. As far as I know Jeff still has the OCB and brings it to events for others to see and take photos of/with. My thanks to Ambrosia for posting the video link, as I'd never seen it before.

a trick to overcome the legal matter about digging down containers are many.

1 dont tell anyone (this seems to work very well alot of places where I have been)

2 the box you dig down is not the CACHE, but a box with no logbook, just items and information book where a real geocache

with a real logbook is hidden.

Here's the Original Can of Beans

TBGJAA

I searched for that and it is "unpublished" ?!?

Just as a side note. Myself and AJ.JR had the pleasure of sitting down with Dave Ulmer and Jeff (Team 360 or aka Indiana Jeff) a fews back for a few beers in Chandler (AZ.) and talked about "geo"caching and the original stash. Surprisingly Dave was not real happy with the direction geocaching was heading. I think he was a little taken aback with the scope and popularity of the game and what it had evolved into at that time. I wonder what his feelings are today. He also really didn't spend much time caching and only did so every once in awhile. As far as I know Jeff still has the OCB and brings it to events for others to see and take photos of/with. My thanks to Ambrosia for posting the video link, as I'd never seen it before.

I actually sent an email to Dave Ulmer requesting him to write a note or something which I might include in the cache. He emailed me back and said that he would have a think over what he wanted to say.

Team 360 also contacted me after seeing this thread and gave me heaps of help with getting the right items. The cache should be good to go in about a month (once my items arrive from the USA)

a trick to overcome the legal matter about digging down containers are many.

1 dont tell anyone (this seems to work very well alot of places where I have been)

You got a point there. I know I did not "report" the only one I can remember finding. But it was like 5 years ago, and the cache is long since archived. I'll just assume he went with the leave no trace credo. :)

I've obtained most of the items in an attempt to make a museum quality reproduction of the original stash and here are a few tidbits if you want it to be really accurate:

Don't forget that the dollar bills need to be dated proir to the stash's release

Those specific ziplock baggies , with it's printed design hasn't been made for years

The exact model slingshot has eluded me, and I've been looking for it for 5 years. I'm thinking it was a home made item.

Also, I have the model of the recorder if you need it.

I've obtained most of the items in an attempt to make a museum quality reproduction of the original stash and here are a few tidbits if you want it to be really accurate:

Don't forget that the dollar bills need to be dated proir to the stash's release

Those specific ziplock baggies , with it's printed design hasn't been made for years

The exact model slingshot has eluded me, and I've been looking for it for 5 years. I'm thinking it was a home made item.

Also, I have the model of the recorder if you need it.

I have the bills pre-2000

the ziplock baggies are still in production in australia where i live. I havent had a really close look, but they appear to be the same

I am just going with an "aluminium slingshot with airholes drilled in it" as has been reported to me by team360 who know dave ulmer. I am also drilling the shaft a little more to make it defective. This should satisfy the no weapons rule. if anyone were to pull the band the shaft would bend and break.

I believe the tape recorder is a Realistic Minisette 9, and if its not exactly it, its so darn close no one will be able to tell. correct me if i am wrong though.

actually, the only thing that I am still yet to obtain is a black lid for my bucket. the local home depot type store sells the bucket in white with lids or black without lids. I think this is a travesty. It won't be too hard to get the lid, but thus far, it has eluded me.

check with a painting contractor about the lid.

In Australia (where I live) there is some sort of law that says paint cant be sold in 5gal bucket size because it is "dangerous" to lift that size. I think someone was bored and had drunk one too many glasses of pickle juice when they made up that law. lots of other things come in 5gal buckets, but none of them are black.

Maybe a horticulturist can clear thing up but wasn't the O.C.B actually an O.C.P., an original can of peas?

There's a video of the cache contents where the can is referred to as "some food", and there's a paper list of contents shown, including "1 can Blackeye Peas".

Yes it is a kind of bean, but the cans are labeled with the common term "Blackeye Peas". The brand (from what I've heard) was "Western Family". I've only ever seen a very low res photo of the pre-rusted can, and no actual cans that match. A not rusty can (intact, like new) would be preferable to me, but don't tell anyone I said that. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

For those of you who would like to see images of the original stash, its creator and the items contained inside (the swag), here is some pictures:

Dave Ulmer - the original hider

original hide

5 galon bucket

Log book

The Ross Perot book

George of the jungle VHS

Realistic Minisette 9

Topo USA

4x $1usd

a slingshot simmilar to this but with "airholes drilled in it"

Edited by The Talent
Yes it is a kind of bean, but the cans are labeled with the common term "Blackeye Peas". The brand (from what I've heard) was "Western Family". I've only ever seen a very low res photo of the pre-rusted can, and no actual cans that match. A not rusty can (intact, like new) would be preferable to me, but don't tell anyone I said that. :ph34r:
So, something like this? Label artwork has probably changed...

30ce4669-d7d5-4428-a58b-9984c330e439.jpg?rnd=0.4865992

After reading a recently closed thread, I did a little research, and apparently the OCB is copyrighted as "sculpture/3-D artwork" so using a not-rusty can would be both more accurate and less likely to be considered a copyright infringement.

C7A06-OCB.

Type of Work: Visual Material

Registration Number / Date: VA0001703471 / 2010-02-17

Application Title: The Original Can of Beans aka Original Can of Beans aka O.C.B. aka OCB.

Title: C7A06-OCB.

Description: Electronic file (eService)

Copyright Claimant: Someone's Name. Address: 37846234 East Nowhere Court, Green Ridge, AZ, 8588888.

Date of Creation: 2000

Date of Publication: 2003-09-07

Nation of First Publication: United States

Authorship on Application: Someone's Name; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: sculpture/3-D artwork.

Rights and Permissions: Someone's Name, Someone's Name@yahoo.com

Names: Someone's Name

That is, assuming Dave Ulmer doesn't hold the rights to the contents in general... :ph34r: Edited by Too Tall John

After reading a recently closed thread, I did a little research, and apparently the OCB is copyrighted as "sculpture/3-D artwork" so using a not-rusty can would be both more accurate and less likely to be considered a copyright infringement.

C7A06-OCB.

Type of Work: Visual Material

Registration Number / Date: VA0001703471 / 2010-02-17

Application Title: The Original Can of Beans aka Original Can of Beans aka O.C.B. aka OCB.

Title: C7A06-OCB.

Description: Electronic file (eService)

Copyright Claimant: Someone's Name. Address: 37846234 East Nowhere Court, Green Ridge, AZ, 8588888.

Date of Creation: 2000

Date of Publication: 2003-09-07

Nation of First Publication: United States

Authorship on Application: Someone's Name; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: sculpture/3-D artwork.

Rights and Permissions: Someone's Name, Someone's Name@yahoo.com

Names: Someone's Name

That is, assuming Dave Ulmer doesn't hold the rights to the contents in general... :ph34r:

This is so bizarre. It's a wonder the rights aren't held by Disney.

So leaving representation of the copyrighted artwork -- will it be met with hostilities? :ph34r:

Maybe an Original Can o' Worms (with home-made lable from laser printer) would be more fitting :lol:

Cool! I've tried to find a photo for a couple of years. Even relatives on the west coast could not locate Western Family cans (or they were just brushing me off, one or the other <_<).

The logo, text, and colors were different in the stash, I think. But that's a start. A corroded, shellacked, nasty old can is wonderful, all copyrighted and everything. Super. I'm not knocking the old rusty thing that probably is the original. But am I the only one who would like a can in great condition, label and all, just as it was new in the Stash?

Cool! I've tried to find a photo for a couple of years. Even relatives on the west coast could not locate Western Family cans (or they were just brushing me off, one or the other <_<).

The logo, text, and colors were different in the stash, I think. But that's a start. A corroded, shellacked, nasty old can is wonderful, all copyrighted and everything. Super. I'm not knocking the old rusty thing that probably is the original. But am I the only one who would like a can in great condition, label and all, just as it was new in the Stash?

Well, in the Northeast, you could replace the words Western Family on that label with ShurFine and it would look exactly the same. Ten seconds on Google confirms that East Coast ShurFine products are produced by Western Family Foods of Oregon. Wikipedia, if anyone cares

Believe it or not, I've been buying ShurFine Black eyed peas for probably 20 years. Not a lot, a few cans a year. I don't ever remember that label changing. Can you definitely see in Ulmer's video that the label is different?

I'd just throw in a can formerly containing Blackeye Peas, because in spirit of the peas, not the brand or the ludicrous monument of a grotty old can.

As for copyrights, feh, the whole Can of Beans episode in the other thread has certainly dimmed my entusiasm for anything to do with it. <_< I'd rather have a crudely crayoned set of cards which had a drawing of a can with 'blackeye peas' printed under it. Let's see someone copyright that! :lol:

I'd just throw in a can formerly containing Blackeye Peas, because in spirit of the peas, not the brand or the ludicrous monument of a grotty old can.

As for copyrights, feh, the whole Can of Beans episode in the other thread has certainly dimmed my entusiasm for anything to do with it. <_< I'd rather have a crudely crayoned set of cards which had a drawing of a can with 'blackeye peas' printed under it. Let's see someone copyright that! :lol:

Groundspeak say that you shouldn't put foodstuffs into a cache. As a simple way to get around this, just open the can at the bottom, empty, shellac or spray paint the inside to rustproof, and hey presto! You have a perfectly good display version of the original stash. This is what I am doing.

I don't ever remember that label changing. Can you definitely see in Ulmer's video that the label is different?

Nope. I've only seen one stash photo, allegedly of the can itself, shown below. It's a very low resolution picture, so it's super hard to see if it's like the label in this thread. Yes, that previously posted one does look just like ShurFine, and no I don't see an "old logo" online). Although the point of an authentic "original stash tribute cache" should be to get the labels right, I would say that any decent can is preferable to rust. :anicute:

1pi7o1.jpg

[EDIT: Here's the only similar logo I've ever found, and I have no idea if it was ever on a real can... except that this is the design I see when I look at that old stash photo.]

znu3x4.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Groundspeak say that you shouldn't put foodstuffs into a cache. As a simple way to get around this, just open the can at the bottom, empty, shellac or spray paint the inside to rustproof, and hey presto! You have a perfectly good display version of the original stash. This is what I am doing.

I'd still be hesitant as you will still attract critters, however it won't be for long as the contents will probably be emptied out rather quickly.

I have everything except for a slingshot handle. I am waiting on a friend to get that. The type I am after are hard to come by where i live.

No forked sticks on the trees were you live?

The slingshot used in the original cache was aluminium handle with "air holes" drilled out of it. everything else is a near perfect replica, why should I skimp on the last item?

Looking for something like this:

288a2bs.jpg

Edited by The Talent