have you been to gosport

I haven't (although I've cached in Titchfield, Portsmouth etc), and Gosport is on my list of places to go one day.

Please be aware that in the scheme of things very few people read the forums, so there are probably only one or 2 who come by here who will have cached in the area. If you just want numbers it might be better to trawl the archived caches and count up the number of unique visitors.

I haven't (although I've cached in Titchfield, Portsmouth etc), and Gosport is on my list of places to go one day.

Please be aware that in the scheme of things very few people read the forums, so there are probably only one or 2 who come by here who will have cached in the area. If you just want numbers it might be better to trawl the archived caches and count up the number of unique visitors.

Many thanks that is a good way to go i will start that now

I've been caching in Gosport, I visited there a few times, spending my money there and helping the local economy. But I've done most of the caches there, so tell them it's fine by me if they ban geocaching, I'm just as happy to go to Portsmouth, Fareham or Titchfield. Could they also ban tennis, golf and cricket? Because I don't play ony of those games.

Please help if you have geocached in gosport please add your names here (if you can a reason to keep geocahing in gosport) as i will present this to GBC to try and revert there desision to ban geocaching in gosport.

many thanks for your support

I forget whether it was Gosport or more Portsmouth that I found a few caches. Nice enough place, not somewhere I'd personally go specifically to go geocaching but certainly the kind of place I might visit again, if the council isn't awkward.

Reasons you might use to persuade the council to rethink, in no particular order:

1. Caches can be accessible to disabled people. I noticed Dorsetgal posted saying she visited because there were caches she could get to. As you can see from her profile page Dorsetgal uses a wheelchair so is restricted in just which caches she can physically get to.

2. Getting people outdoors. With the assorted government drive to get people taking exercise and being healthier, getting people out and about has to beat people sitting in front of the TV. And geocaching gives people a specific place to go which can focus efforts on exercising, whereas without a target it's easy to "go for a walk" that ends up just being a leisurely amble nowhere in particular that doesn't burn many calories.

3. Carbon neutrality. Once people get to the general area a lot of folks will go caching on foot or by bike. So aside from cars coming into the area (for those who don't travel by train or silly distances by bike) there's not a lot of traffic specifically associated with caching.

4. Local economic benefits. Most cachers will, at the very least, want to top up their batteries with a drink or two, maybe lunch, maybe buy some other bits and pieces from local businesses they just happen to pass when out caching. I've found all sorts of places - shops, restaurants, B&Bs etc that I'd never have found were it not for geocaching.

It's honestly hard to see very many downsides. You might get the usual vaguely worded "security reasons" line that usually means "we don't like it but can't come up with a specific reason to prohibit it". Then there might be concerns about children (the other generic "catch all" line) but it's general good practise to avoid putting caches too near schools where people hunting them might be misunderstood.

Maybe what you need is a CITO event so the council can see that geocachers can be public spirited, as opposed to just littering perfectly good areas with boxes.

Mr F worked in Gosport for a few months and I brought the kids down to stay now and then. We looked at buying him a small place to stay in during the week, which we could keep on as a holiday home. We really liked it round there. He moved jobs, or we probably would have done this...But not if the council had banned geocaching! There's a lot of good things about Gosport, and geocaching is one of them.

Maybe what you need is a CITO event so the council can see that geocachers can be public spirited, as opposed to just littering perfectly good areas with boxes.

As someone who has often cached in Gosport and enjoyed most (but not all <_< )of the locations, I think the above suggestion from Team Tisri is a great way of helping to convince GBC and would ensure a lot of positive comments could be achieved. Very happy to attend a CITO in Gosport if you arrange one.

Finally, exploit the political process and lobby your local councillor - it is always amazing how effective that can be (especially when elections are looming!).

Good luck.

Thank you for your support i have contacted 3 MPs and no one has emailed or phoned back so will keep trying

MP's will only be involved if you live in their area...

Or 'whatever it is' is part of their 'responsibility' eg They are Transport Minister, and you have a road/transport problem...

... or if they can be bothered. When I wrote to my MP he was clearly too busy to even have a lackey do me the courtesy of a response.

Update: I have new maps from the council which hopefully will now show their land holdings more accurately. I'm just converting them to put on Google maps and in the next few days will re-visit those caches archived to see if they can be unarchived.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center