New cache attribute for rollerblades / skates

sukmar

Hello!

Beside geocaching I love to rollerblade (inline skating). Near my home location I have found one multi cache where the owner explicitly stated that it is doable on rollerblades. I found this cache on my blades with my children (on their bicycles) and loved it! So I am looking for other caches that are doable with rollerblades but I think there is currently no attribute for that.

So that's my suggestion: What about a new attribute for multi caches "available on rollerblades" (or similar). So the owner can decide if his cache can be done with rollerblades or not. That means that the surface of the roads or tracks is of asphalt, tar, cement, concrete or anything else drivable on rollerblades (of course well knowing that perhaps the final could be at a place not directly accessible on blades or where I have to take of my blades).

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

sukmar

If they do one for rollerblades, it's just possible that another may have to be removed.

Lessee here........ hmmmmm.... OK, let's get rid of the wheelchair one. :unsure:

Tongue-in-cheek it was, but I think the calling for such may well be outweighed by other, more necessary attributes.

There are limits as to how many there can be.

Hi Gitchee-Gummee,

I understand what you mean with the wheelchair attribute, but the multi cache I mentioned was around 25 km (~15 mi)! That distance is no problem on rollerblades, but for wheelchairs?!

I addition a wheelchair normally can access a way with smaller stones or pebbles because it has pneumatic tires, that is not possible with rollerblades!

~sukmar

Edited by sukmar

They should make an attribute for skateboards too.

Sorry that I forgot to mention the skateboards. I think they are included (rollerblades, inline skates, skateboards, pallet trucks and other devices with similar wheels :rolleyes:)

Perhaps the better attribute would be for 'paved path/trail'. I know of one in the region that is a NEW rail to trail project.

It is accumulating caches quickly and is about 35 km long and paved the whole way. Open to all forms of non motorized transportation. The North Star Trail between Cranbrook and Kimberley BC.

Bit tough for ILS in winter, but same for other modes except skis and snowshoes I hear, at times.

Not all rail trails are paved of course or maintained if they are. But nice while they are. Last time I was on it, I was walking, sadly, but ran into a couple trying to enjoy it on ILS. We got talking about access points and drifted to their hopeless technique.

A few minutes of explanation and practice and they had a better grasp of the basics... and went off much happier to be in some sort of control. I was kicking myself for not having my ILS along... or my bike... I'll pass on skateboards, I just can't get the hang of balancing on one... but I'm decidedly top heavy. Now a kick scooter (adult) would work, I tried one of those. But bike or skates for me.

Doug 7rxc

"Paved Access" makes sense and covers a lot of circumstances. A cache in an open field is accessible via hang glider, or parachute; but we don't need an attribute for everything.

Hi edscott,

I absolutely agree with you. "Paved access" would fit best!

~sukmar

we don't need an attribute for everything.

+1

+2

There are enough attributes already. If we kept adding more and more attributes, when would it end? Do we need an attribute for unicycle access? Pogo-stick?

Anyway, there are already two ways to indicate that a cache is accessible by rollerblades/skates: terrain 1 or the "Wheelchair accessible" attribute.

we don't need an attribute for everything.

+1

+2

There are enough attributes already. If we kept adding more and more attributes, when would it end? Do we need an attribute for unicycle access? Pogo-stick?

Anyway, there are already two ways to indicate that a cache is accessible by rollerblades/skates: terrain 1 or the "Wheelchair accessible" attribute.

Are you guys saying you are against my suggestion for a skipping attribute? Because you cannot skip to every cache I've tried.

They should make an attribute for caches you can skip too

The original says 'too' not 'to'. Too as in 'also' or 'as well'.

I think the ignore list would do after the fact... or just drive away, maybe even 'skip' if you insist. :rolleyes:

Do they have an LPC / Guardrail attribute?

BTW did you mean skip with a rope method or just the fancy footwork method like Dorothy and co.?

I've tripped while using ILS, but think 'skipping' would be tough to do. Perhaps while using 'blocks' or 'guards'.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

"Paved Access" makes sense and covers a lot of circumstances. A cache in an open field is accessible via hang glider, or parachute; but we don't need an attribute for everything.

Hi edscott,

I absolutely agree with you. "Paved access" would fit best!

~sukmar

The only problem I see with that is a paved path may be accessible by roller blades and the like, but not by cars. You might see that "paved access" attribute and think you could drive up to it when you can't. And if someone decides to exclude the "paved" attribute because there is no room for a car to pass, you might be lead to think that it can't be accessed by roller blades when really it can be.

Not a rollerblading enthusiast, but I imagine that a cache that is bicycle friendly would (in most cases) also be Rollerblade friendly (assuming you have the stamina).

A lot of the bike friendly trails around here would not be suitable for rollerblading on. Here's an example:

5762332708_65528a7444_z.jpg

I don't rollerblade, but I would think loose gravel, mud, and puddles/potholes wouldn't be conducive to rollerblading.

And that's on a well-maintained portion of it...

Not a rollerblading enthusiast, but I imagine that a cache that is bicycle friendly would (in most cases) also be Rollerblade friendly (assuming you have the stamina).

A lot of the bike friendly trails around here would not be suitable for rollerblading on. Here's an example:

5762332708_65528a7444_z.jpg

I don't rollerblade, but I would think loose gravel, mud, and puddles/potholes wouldn't be conducive to rollerblading.

And that's on a well-maintained portion of it...

If I was a rollerblade/in-line skate enthusiast I'd probably keep them in my vehicle most of the time. If I can across a place that looked suitable for rollerblading/skating I'd put them on, otherwise I'd leave them in the car. I would suspect that rollerblade/in-line skate enthusiasts know where the the paths are in their local area and if they see a cache along that path they'll bring their skates.

What about an attribute for potato sacks? I don't think hopping to a cache in a potato sack is covered by any other attribute.