Advanced track log?

Hi,

I use my Garmin GPS to record tracks both when I'm driving, biking, walking, etc. Sometimes all of this goes on on the same day. I like importing and reviewing my tracks in Basecamp, to see how far, high, fast, etc etc. I have been thinking of a feature that I would LOVE for Garmin to add to the GPS:

In the menu, users may choose between simple track log (same function as today), and advanced track log (described below).

The advanced track log setup allows the user to select the different movement modalities that one uses, and assign track colours to each of them. Personally I would pick walking, driving, bicycling, skiing.

In map mode, there would be a small icon showing the selected modality (i.e. showing that I have currently selected driving). When I park my car in order to start my walk in a park, I click the aforementined icon, and select walking.

When I change modality, the GPS would automatically start a new track, and assign the correct colour. Possibly, a prefix could be added to the track name. I.e. car, walk, etc.

This means that when I come home and open basecamp, I will see all my driving in blue, hiking in green, biking in blue, etc. And I could easily select each part of my trip to see how far/fast/high/etc. Obviously I care about how far and fast I hiked, not how far I drove+hiked or how fast I was on average for driving+hiking.

The settings menu for the advanced track log could allow the user to customize the modality labels. If anyone wanted to separate into walking, hiking, jogging, running, they could do so.

Do you know if this has been suggested or discussed earlier, or even if this is at all feasible? As far as I can tell, it would not be necessary to re-write the GPX format for tracks (though it would be cool if basecamp could automatically summarize how far I have biked, walked, etc, just by reading the type of track).

Is it not possible to assign a different track log colour to each profile / custom profile?

Edit: Oops - There I go making the assumption that you have a GPS that supports profiles like the Oregon 450 does .....

Edited by AndyT1

Personally I have a Garmin Montana, but I think this feature could apply to all current models that have track logging.

Of course I'd be very happy if you could teach me how to store the current track before starting a new one, using shortcuts on Garmin Montana. I have only been able to clear the current track.

I understand that I can do this manually, by going into the track log, saving the current track, clearing the track log, changing profile and possibly applying a new colour. But that is even more cumbersome than doing the same thing in Basecamp. The feature that I described would require two clicks instead of 20-30, and no customization of profiles and shortcuts for each modality.

A good suggestion. I contribute trails to Openstreetmap and it would be helpful to, for instance, be able to note how rough the trail is with different modalities ...or if you are actually walking a trail at all, the whole track log often isn't trail walking, and it would be a shame to unintentionally submit fake data, to quickly be able to "status update" the gps with what you are currently doing (following good trail, following rough trail, bushwhacking) would be great!

Edited by tr_s

Thanks for your support. I believe the ability to customize movement modalities (or whatever it is practical to call it), rather than having to deal with the more complex profile changes, would make this very useful in a number of different settings, i.e. as tr_s describes.

I suppose that this is brought to Garmin's attention, since it is posted on the feature list? It would be nice to know if Garmin actually comments on it.

I guess many want a lot - I also want the ultimate GPS, but it ought to be hard for garmin to keep up, some quite annoying software bugs are still in their newer models, guess that is higher on their fix list.

Sometimes I think an open source waterproof GPS series would fit me as a glove. That would allow us to just start tailoring.