2 New Attribute Icon Suggestions

Strider

The recent story of the two cachers who got lost in the woods made me think of one new attribute, for cell phone coverage or not. Especially the NOT. Another one is for barb wire and fencing, maybe one for old wire on the ground or just barb wire and fencing in general. I've run across lots of old fencing that is hazardous in areas that are open for caching. Anyway, just some ideas for the attribute designers to consider.

Strider

The recent story of the two cachers who got lost in the woods made me think of one new attribute, for cell phone coverage or not. Especially the NOT. Another one is for barb wire and fencing, maybe one for old wire on the ground or just barb wire and fencing in general. I've run across lots of old fencing that is hazardous in areas that are open for caching. Anyway, just some ideas for the attribute designers to consider.

Strider

Cell phone coverage:

How would this work? Does there have to be cell coverage for all cell providers, or conversely no coverage for any cell provider? In my area, and most of North America, there are 2 different cell systems. In any one area, there may be coverage for one, but not the other. I might have excellent reception in one spot, but the next cacher may not have any at all. How does the attribute get applied in this case? What if it's spotty? There have been times where I've been to the same spot multiple times and can get completely different reception each time. IMO, it's just another case of common sense. If you're going into an area where there's even the slightest possibility of not having cell reception, don't rely on it. Have a backup. If you're relying on cell reception, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place. (I'll add that I haven't heard or read anything about the incident you mentioned, so read my comments with that in mind.)

Barbed wire:

There's already an attribute for this: "Dangerous area" danger-yes.gif. That's the beauty of having a catch-all attribute like this; there's no need to have separate attributes for barbed wire, broken glass, gun-toting rednecks, or trolls under bridges. Use the attribute, and explain further in the description if necessary. If someone can see the attribute, they can see the description, too.

I use a GPSr to hide and find most caches. Rare if I even have the phone on when I'm out.

I guess others could say whether they had coverage or not in their log, but I wouldn't be interested in that attribute.

Close to a third of the areas we play have little to no cell coverage. Many who normally would use phones when near towns are familiar with these areas and usually have a GPSr as a backup. Folks visiting or passing through should be able to tell quickly ("only one bar the last twelve miles!") that phone reception is spotty and plan for it.

I agree with A-Team on using the dangerous area attribute for barbed wire or any other hazard. All that's needed is a brief description of what to be wary of.

Lots of suggestions about new attributes. Problem is... they are pretty much filled (if not necessarily used -- or read), and I haven't heard a valid reason (yet) to replace an existing one.

Edit to add: Do you really think those drunks would've even noticed?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee