A SERIOUS WARNING!

Danger_Warning

LAST SATURDAY I ALMOST SHOT AN ARROW THROUGH THE HEAD OF A GEO-CACHER WHO HAD DELIBERATELY WALKED INTO A WELL SIGNPOSTED ARCHERY COURSE. I DREAD TO THINK WHAT THE CONSEQUENCES MIGHT HAVE BEEN HAD THE WORSE CASE HAPENNED?

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYBODY WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRESPASS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY TO START OFF WITH, LET ALONE WALK INTO AN ARCHERY COURSE? TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THIS PERSON WAS WALKING 'THE WRONG WAY' ROUND THE COURSE, WHICH MEANT HE WAS WALKING STRAIGHT INTO THE LINE OF FIRE OF ANY ARCHER PRACTISING OR SHOOTING ON THE COURSE.

WE HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS DANGEROUS SPORT FOR OBVIOUS REASONS, BUT THIS DOES NOT COVER NON MEMBERS, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. TO GAIN THIS INSURANCE WE HAVE TO UNDERGO PROPER TRAINING AND QUALIFICATION, WHERE WE LEARN THE SAFETY RULES ASSOCIATED WITH OUR SPORT.

NOT ONLY IS THIS A WARNING TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO IS TOTALLY STUPID ENOUGH TO BLATANTLY IGNORE ALL THE WARNING SIGNS OF ENTERING SUCH A COURSE, IT IS ALSO A WARNING TO THE TOTAL IDIOTS WHO PUT CACHES IN THIS SORT OF LOCATION.

HAD I INJURED (OR WORSE) THIS PERSON, THE POLICE WOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AND I WOULD IMAGINE THAT WHOEVER PLACED THIS CACHE IN SUCH AN OBVIOUSLY POTENTIALLY LETHAL LOCATION WOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH SOME SERIOUS OFFENCE?

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS OF DOING THIS AND HAVE AT LEAST A CONSIDERATION FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO MAY INJURE, OR EVEN KILL, ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH, AND RISK BEING CHARGED AND OR IMPRISONED FOR DOING SO?

I SERIOUSLY HOPE WHOEVER PLACED THIS GEO CACHE INTO OUR WOODS WILL REMOVE IT, AND ALL REFERENCES TO IT.

FOR OBVIOUS REASONS I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE ANY DETAILS OF THE ITEM OR THE LOCATION, BUT I WOULD EXPECT SOMEONE TO CONTACT ME TO CONFIRM HOW THIS CAN BE DONE AND SO PREVENT ANY POSSIBLE RE-OCCURENCE OF THIS HAPPENING.

I hear you.

For something to be done we have to have some approximate location from you. Geocaching is a worldwide pastime and you could be posting from UK, USA or UAE or anywhere.

If you can give the name of the nearest town/city and country we can put you in touch with the appropriate people who can do something.

MrsB

I hear you.

For something to be done we have to have some approximate location from you. Geocaching is a worldwide pastime and you could be posting from UK, USA or UAE or anywhere.

If you can give the name of the nearest town/city and country we can put you in touch with the appropriate people who can do something.

MrsB

The location is near Northampton in England, UK

I hear you.

MrsB

Please contact the voluntary cache reviewer linked below. They will need to know some further details about exactly where the cache/caches are located.

Antheia

Some years ago, I was hiking in a wildlife preserve along a foot path to place some geocaches. I was the first person to get permission from the land manager to hide a geocache there, after geocaching had been banned previously. I was a happy hiker!

But then I came across a bowhunter, riding an ATV down the hiking trail. He was lost, and strayed into the non-hunting area where no motorized vehicles are allowed. The trail was torn up for miles.

There are stupid people everywhere who stray into spots where they shouldn't be.

I did report the details to the land manager. What I neglected to do was to go into an archery or bowhunting forum and fling poo in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

Some years ago, I was hiking in a wildlife preserve along a foot path to place some geocaches. I was the first person to get permission from the land manager to hide a geocache there, after geocaching had been banned previously. I was a happy hiker!

But then I came across a bowhunter, riding an ATV down the hiking trail. He was lost, and strayed into the non-hunting area where no motorized vehicles are allowed. The trail was torn up for miles.

There are stupid people everywhere who stray into spots where they shouldn't be.

I did report the details to the land manager. What I neglected to do was to go into an archery or bowhunting forum and fling poo in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

Maybe so, but YOU weren't the person almost KILLING someone, were you?

No, because I wasn't the one armed with a little bow and arrow to kill Bambi's mother. I was the one with the GPS trying to get some exercise. Had the choice of weapons been reversed, perhaps Rambo would have managed to stay out of the hiking area.

Look, at the end of the day I am trying to warn people about a seriously dangerous and potentially fatal situation, and at least someone on this site has responded positively, unlike you who obviously thinks the matter is a whole joke. This location is a PERMANENT archery course, with archers able to use it 24 hours a day 365 days a year!

And I take strong exception to your allegation about being 'armed' and having any intention to 'kill' anything. There is a serious code of ethics in the UK which forbids ANY hunting of animals with archery equipment! Archery is a sport, and national and international governing bodies, with a lot more history than GeoCaching will ever achieve.

I won't be posting any more replies to your inane comments, the posting was made only to try and get this cache removed and/or disabled, fortunately someone else on this website has already responded positively, so I have (hopefully achieved my purpose) and possibly saved any injury or loss of life.

My own son is a geo-cacher, I just pray that he is never stupid enough to do what the person in question did to instill me into contacting this site and making a serious enough point about it .

I also hope that whoever placed this cache in this dangerous location (and on private property) can be traced and the appropriate action taken to prevent it happening again!

I hear you.

MrsB

Please contact the voluntary cache reviewer linked below. They will need to know some further details about exactly where the cache/caches are located.

Antheia

Many thanks for your help and understanding, I have contacted the person concerned and hopefully they will have this thing removed/disabled. Again, thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Oops, sounds (potentially) nasty! I must admit that as I read it I assumed it was in the US, and was a bit shocked to see it's in the UK.

Anyway do you know that the cache is on the course? If so then contact the reviewer that Mrs B pointed you to and it can be disabled quickly, and they can take steps to ensure no more caches are placed on the course.

If the cache isn't on the course then maybe the cacher involved was lost or was trying a shortcut in which case they're an idiot and much as we might like to there's no way to stop stupid people doing stupid things!

I once wandered into the middle of an archery course while searching for a cache. Interestingly enough this course was in a public park and not well marked. I knew something was up when I saw all of the bales of hay and the shooting platforms. The only sign indicating its existence was on the path leading in. For those of us approaching through the woods there was no warning.

Thankfully it was inactive at the time.

Oops, sounds (potentially) nasty! I must admit that as I read it I assumed it was in the US, and was a bit shocked to see it's in the UK.

Anyway do you know that the cache is on the course? If so then contact the reviewer that Mrs B pointed you to and it can be disabled quickly, and they can take steps to ensure no more caches are placed on the course.

If the cache isn't on the course then maybe the cacher involved was lost or was trying a shortcut in which case they're an idiot and much as we might like to there's no way to stop stupid people doing stupid things!

Yes it's in the UK, and you might be surprised how many of these archery courses are around the country, allowing 24/7 access to people like me who are members to use them. I have contacted the person mentioned and hopefully will be getting something done about this cache.

Doesn't matter if the item is actually ON the course or not, anything that encourages ANYBODY to walk into a potentially dangerous/fatal situation like this, either knowingly or unknowingly should be prevented if it is at all possible to do so, which in this case, obviously is?

Unfortunately the authorities DO have ways to stop stupid people doing stupid things, the first one being to shut down the archery club, rather than incarcerate the stupid person for their own protection and the safety of others? Or possibly even ban or 'outlaw' Geo-caching? I hate 'Health and Safety' freaks as much as anyone, but sometimes people do need protecting from themselves, not other people?

Seems a shame if that were to happen though, I for one understand how much pleasure my son and his wife get from Geo-caching and I wouldn't want anything done to curtail either activity, they both encourage people in getting out into the countryside, and providing enjoyment, and exercise!

I once wandered into the middle of an archery course while searching for a cache. Interestingly enough this course was in a public park and not well marked. I knew something was up when I saw all of the bales of hay and the shooting platforms. The only sign indicating its existence was on the path leading in. For those of us approaching through the woods there was no warning.

Thankfully it was inactive at the time.

Unfortunately our course is open 24/365 and you never know if or when there is going to be anyone around there, and that's why there are strict codes of practice and safety rules in place. Members/archers are well aware of the risks and dangers and exercise the greatest of care and follow these procedures and rules to minimise the risks to themselves and others.

I hope you had the location of that cache reveiwed and (hopefully) disabled?

LAST SATURDAY I ALMOST SHOT AN ARROW THROUGH THE HEAD OF A GEO-CACHER WHO HAD DELIBERATELY WALKED INTO A WELL SIGNPOSTED ARCHERY COURSE. I DREAD TO THINK WHAT THE CONSEQUENCES MIGHT HAVE BEEN HAD THE WORSE CASE HAPENNED?

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYBODY WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRESPASS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY TO START OFF WITH, LET ALONE WALK INTO AN ARCHERY COURSE? TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THIS PERSON WAS WALKING 'THE WRONG WAY' ROUND THE COURSE, WHICH MEANT HE WAS WALKING STRAIGHT INTO THE LINE OF FIRE OF ANY ARCHER PRACTISING OR SHOOTING ON THE COURSE.

WE HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS DANGEROUS SPORT FOR OBVIOUS REASONS, BUT THIS DOES NOT COVER NON MEMBERS, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. TO GAIN THIS INSURANCE WE HAVE TO UNDERGO PROPER TRAINING AND QUALIFICATION, WHERE WE LEARN THE SAFETY RULES ASSOCIATED WITH OUR SPORT.

NOT ONLY IS THIS A WARNING TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO IS TOTALLY STUPID ENOUGH TO BLATANTLY IGNORE ALL THE WARNING SIGNS OF ENTERING SUCH A COURSE, IT IS ALSO A WARNING TO THE TOTAL IDIOTS WHO PUT CACHES IN THIS SORT OF LOCATION.

HAD I INJURED (OR WORSE) THIS PERSON, THE POLICE WOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AND I WOULD IMAGINE THAT WHOEVER PLACED THIS CACHE IN SUCH AN OBVIOUSLY POTENTIALLY LETHAL LOCATION WOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH SOME SERIOUS OFFENCE?

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS OF DOING THIS AND HAVE AT LEAST A CONSIDERATION FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO MAY INJURE, OR EVEN KILL, ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH, AND RISK BEING CHARGED AND OR IMPRISONED FOR DOING SO?

I SERIOUSLY HOPE WHOEVER PLACED THIS GEO CACHE INTO OUR WOODS WILL REMOVE IT, AND ALL REFERENCES TO IT.

FOR OBVIOUS REASONS I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE ANY DETAILS OF THE ITEM OR THE LOCATION, BUT I WOULD EXPECT SOMEONE TO CONTACT ME TO CONFIRM HOW THIS CAN BE DONE AND SO PREVENT ANY POSSIBLE RE-OCCURENCE OF THIS HAPPENING.

Well, I would have expected a more pleasant introduction to a safety message from an English bloke.

As an archer I can honestly say it would be very hard for me to kill or injure someone accidentally. They would have to walk run between my already released arrow and the target with complete disregard for their surroundings.

Umm, not bloody likely. You don't see a lot of news on nasty bow and arrow accidents. When they do happen it's almost always due to some form of incompetence or malicious intent.

As a safety professional, 10 points for wanting to bring this safety issue to the geocaching community. Minus several dozen for calling your intended audience idiots.

Edited by Snoogans
  • Upvote 1

Dear Danger_Warning,

I want to thank you for bringing this to the geocaching community's attention. I agree with you 100%. You reported and the geocaching community is appropriately responding. However, you should realize that any negative responses you received on this forum so due to you YELLING at the community right from the very start. Being human, if someone introduces himself to me by yelling at me, I may respond negatively no matter what the content of the message is. If you had stated the same words without yelling, you would have gotten the same help. We're just like that. That said, you did a great service by bringing this problem to light. Thanks again and maybe someday we'll meet while geocaching. :)

Well, I would have expected a more pleasant introduction to a safety message from an English bloke.

As an archer I can honestly say it would be very hard for me to kill or injure someone accidentally. They would have to walk run between my already released arrow and the target with complete disregard for their surroundings.

Umm, not bloody likely. You don't see a lot of news on nasty bow and arrow accidents. When they do happen it's almost always due to some form of incompetence or malicious intent.

As a safety professional, 10 points for wanting to bring this safety issue to the geocaching community. Minus several dozen for calling your intended audience idiots.

Sometimes SAFETY messages need to be emphasized, mine seems to have (hopefully) got the attention I wanted/needed. I am NOT a safety professional, nor am I geocacher, but if I can prevent just one serious injury or loss of life then I will do so, especially if it is totally needless, as in this case?

I am not sure if you actually practice your archery around the confines of a wood and/or use a sight on your bow, but if you do, and you have the other eye shut, all you will see is the centre of the target you are aiming at?

That leaves an awful lot of 'blind space' both between you and the actual target, and around the periphery of the target too?

To be honest I would have thought you'd be calling into question the person who actually put this cache in this potentially dangerous/fatal location, rather than criticising me just because I've try to bring it to the attention of people on this site?

Seems it's okay to set up a potential dangerous situation, but not to try and diffuse one? Maybe some of my audience are idiots then, if that's the case, but it was not my intention to label everyone that way.

I appreciate that you don't want to go into great details but perhaps a bit more general info would help us understand how this has happened.

You say this person was a geocacher - So I assume you challenged them about what they were doing and how they got onto the range? I, too, am concerned that it appears they managed to do so without seeing warning signs or barriers - or if they did, then they deliberately ignored them. Can I ask, are there public footpaths nearby in this wooded area?

MrsB

I appreciate that you don't want to go into great details but perhaps a bit more general info would help us understand how this has happened.

You say this person was a geocacher - So I assume you challenged them about what they were doing and how they got onto the range? I, too, am concerned that it appears they managed to do so without seeing warning signs or barriers - or if they did, then they deliberately ignored them. Can I ask, are there public footpaths nearby in this wooded area?

MrsB

Yes I challenged him, which is how I knew what he was doing, and that he HAD seen the warning signs and HAD chosen to ignore them. To my knowledge there are NO public footpaths anywhere near the woods in question, I have never seen one anyway, and I have been shooting there a while now. I am not a local, though, so they may be some long forgotten passage of way or something, but I have never seen any signs to indicate that. There is only one way into the woods in question, with a large clear sign by that entrance, and others between the entrance and the actual start of the course itself, as a further warning.

The woods are not large, but they are totally designated to the archery course, and are totally private property as far as I am aware. There are no 'public' areas in the woods whatsoever. If you seriously wanted to get into these woods, other than through the proper entrance, then I expect you could do so, but you would have to cut your way through some serious vegetation to do so around most of it.

Perhaps I could have understood if this person had done that, but for him to just totally and deliberately disregard the warning signs and then walk straight across the front of a target that I was aiming at just totally amazes me.

My main concerns are to warn other people about the dangers involved here, and to also try and prevent anyone ever placing a cache where it could end in a tragedy, and if I can do that then I have done as much as I am able, outside of any actions the archery club will be undertaking or reviewing this weekend, as they too feel it is a serious matter which has to be addressed.

geocaches are placed all over, and people try to access them from any direction you can imagine

and also the directions you can newer imagine.

but again if ONE person on purpose ignore safety signs

sure this is very bad !! I am compleetly with you !!

but ban or remove all caches from the entire area is not fair..

again lets hear the other side of the storry ?

is the cache really on forbidden grounds ?

maybe he just think a short-cut was smart ?

maybe the cache is on the other side of "your" area ?

why keep it a secret what cache it is ??

if there is a serious danger there

surely we need all people to know about where it really is.

"YOU PEOPLE"? :unsure:

I didn't place a cache in or near an archery course. To the best of my knowledge, none of y friends didn't place a cache in or near an archery course. For that matter, I am not aware of one single geocacher that has placed a cache in or near an archery course, aside from the one that you speak about. There are "idiots" in all walks of life. There are "idiots" that practice archery, but I'm sure you would not appreciate being grouped with them, simply because one of them did something stupid, would you? Well, neither do we.

Your reasons are far from obvious. What is gained by not telling us where the cache is located? We can most likely get the cache shut down if we have sufficient information about it. If you refuse to tell us where it is, it will remain there until something serious really does happen.

Unfortunately we all know that some when using a GPS, walking or driving, never look up from the unit, follow it blindly. We've heard the stories of those that drive to a cliff or equally dangerous spot because they trust the GPS more than their common sense.

I bet this guy never looked up from his unit while walking. I wonder how far he was from the cache when he was stopped. I imagine there was another way in and the cache was no where near the range.

Well, if the archery range does not have a compact geocache policy, perhaps it should be okay. Just have the cache owner raise the difficulty to a 5 and encourage all to wear orange safety vests and to read the disclaimer. Rename it Darwin's cache.

At the risk of offending you (and maybe others) I had never heard of Geo-caching until my son started doing it a few weeks ago, and to be totally honest I have no idea if the group have a 'geo-caching' policy or not, but I know they have taken this incident very seriously and are having a meeting where they are going to review it this coming weekend.

I cannot believe that you think it 'should be okay' if there isn't a policy in place though? As I have already pointed out to a previous reply on this thread, if an archer is looking through a sight on a bow and has his other eye closed (which is normal practice) the it doesn't matter what colour anyone wears, as they are in a total blind spot! Even if someone was right in front of the archer, but not in the 'line of sight' they could be stark naked and still wouldn't be visible! The only thing the archer in question will see is the part of the target he is aiming at, that is the whole purpose of using a sight.

Fortunately I don't use a sight on my bow - but still had one eye closed, and was, therefore, just able to pick out something moving and I 'let down' my arrow, before anything more serious occurred.

I am just seriously worried that whoever put this cache in this location MUST have known what they were doing and the possibility of the danger and risks involved, and yet still left it there?

There are times when more than one person will be legitimately shooting at the same target, thereby increasing the risk even further?

You may think it 'okay' for the cache owner to simply 'raise the difficulty to a 5' but you seem to be forgetting the fact that there will be archers on the course who are totally unaware of what geo-caching even means, let alone be aware of what a 'level 5' is all about? That seems, to me at least, a totally irresponsible view to take regarding the archers who are legitimately carrying out their chosen sport on a correctly designated and purpose made course?

none of us say it is OK to walk into a shooting range

none of us say it is ok to walk anywhere and not look where they walk

none of us say it is ok to ignore warning signs

none of us want to be killed

none of us want to drive you or anyone else nuts

alot of what you say is really cool and smart and all that..

but it is just your WAY that is wrong, talk nice and polite,

and we address you back the same way :-)

alot of people here can help you, and can disable any cache you like any where in the world in a sec..

just tell us WHERE and we solve it.. RIGHT NOW...

I didn't place a cache in or near an archery course. To the best of my knowledge, none of y friends didn't place a cache in or near an archery course. For that matter, I am not aware of one single geocacher that has placed a cache in or near an archery course, aside from the one that you speak about. There are "idiots" in all walks of life. There are "idiots" that practice archery, but I'm sure you would not appreciate being grouped with them, simply because one of them did something stupid, would you? Well, neither do we.

Your reasons are far from obvious. What is gained by not telling us where the cache is located? We can most likely get the cache shut down if we have sufficient information about it. If you refuse to tell us where it is, it will remain there until something serious really does happen.

Well perhaps it may not be obvious to you, but I actually don't want to alert anyone to exactly where this item is, I was going to say 'for obvious reasons' again, but I'll just point out that an arrow, especially shot from a modern day bow is potentially lethal, and I don't want the police knocking on my door because I've publicised a certain location where someone has then been injured or killed? Someone HAS given me a name to try and get something done, which is exactly what I wanted to happen, and I have passed on more precise details, thank you.

I did not wish to insult or upset anyone here, just warn people and try to get this thing disabled, that's all. Once this has been done I will be deleting my membership here and leave you be, but whilst there is still any risk of injury, either to a geocacher OR an archer, then I will remain here and try to reply if I can.

As for stupid archers, I guess there may be some, but those of us who take the sport seriously are trained correctly, I personally am a member of both the NFAS and the EFAA and am insured through both groups to shoot on approved courses and at approved events ONLY.

I wonder how many people who go 'Geo-caching' have any sort of formal training whatsoever, let alone carry any sort of insurance by way of public liability if nothing else? I totally understand, though that there is no legal requirement for you to do so though, unlike with my sport.

I expect there are many of you who are, though, judging by the few things I have noticed on this (admittedly very interesting) website so far, which has to be a good thing.

The OP has stated that he's already contacted the reviewer Antheia as I suggested (See post#9).

It's not necessary that we have the cache GC number provided to us here on the forum. I'm sure that the OP will be able to give enough information to the reviewer that they will be able to locate the address of the archery club woodlands and will then be able to discover which cache or caches are nearby and will deal with the matter as necessary.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Unfortunately we all know that some when using a GPS, walking or driving, never look up from the unit, follow it blindly. We've heard the stories of those that drive to a cliff or equally dangerous spot because they trust the GPS more than their common sense.

I bet this guy never looked up from his unit while walking. I wonder how far he was from the cache when he was stopped. I imagine there was another way in and the cache was no where near the range.

I didn't actually notice whether the guy was looking at his GPS or at his feet or anything else, it was just fortunate for him that I actually saw him at all, bearing in mind I was aiming at a target with one eye closed? It only became apparent what he was doing there and that he'd deliberately ignored the warning signs he'd seen once I had let down my arrow. From what I gather the cache was very close by or he wouldn't have come into the woods, they aren't that large, actually. The woods are surrounded by fields on mopst of the perimeter, only a small section of one side, (about a hundred yards I'd guess) are on the side of a minor road.

Maybe the guy could have walked around the perimeter of the woods (and trodden down all the farmers corn) and then tried to gain access at the other end of the woods if that's where the cache was? Still seems a most dangerous thing to do, having seen the signs at the entrance to the wood?

The OP has stated that he's already contacted the reviewer Antheia as I suggested (See post#9).

It's not necessary that we have the cache GC number provided to us here on the forum. I'm sure that the OP will be able to give enough information to the reviewer that they will be able to locate the address of the archery club woodlands and will then be able to discover which cache or caches are nearby and will deal with the matter as necessary.

MrsB

I have passed on the name of the woods, the location of the woods, and the nearest postcode to the woods, hopefully that will be sufficient. Had I known that some kind of reference number for the cache itself would have been helpful I would have tried to obtain it from the geocacher himself.

none of us say it is OK to walk into a shooting range

none of us say it is ok to walk anywhere and not look where they walk

none of us say it is ok to ignore warning signs

none of us want to be killed

none of us want to drive you or anyone else nuts

alot of what you say is really cool and smart and all that..

but it is just your WAY that is wrong, talk nice and polite,

and we address you back the same way :-)

alot of people here can help you, and can disable any cache you like any where in the world in a sec..

just tell us WHERE and we solve it.. RIGHT NOW...

Apologies for any offence caused, but after 'almost' injuring this person, or worse, I wanted to get someone's attention on this site and get something done asap, which seems to have happened - or at least I hope will happen, only time and the person concerned will be able to do that.

Must admit, most of you on here seem sensible and concerned, and again I apologise for the 'stark' manner of my original post, but there also appear to be one or two people who don't seem to think there is any problem here, which is a little disconcerting?

Well perhaps it may not be obvious to you, but I actually don't want to alert anyone to exactly where this item is, I was going to say 'for obvious reasons' again, but I'll just point out that an arrow, especially shot from a modern day bow is potentially lethal, and I don't want the police knocking on my door because I've publicised a certain location where someone has then been injured or killed? Someone HAS given me a name to try and get something done, which is exactly what I wanted to happen, and I have passed on more precise details, thank you.

I did not wish to insult or upset anyone here, just warn people and try to get this thing disabled, that's all. Once this has been done I will be deleting my membership here and leave you be, but whilst there is still any risk of injury, either to a geocacher OR an archer, then I will remain here and try to reply if I can.

As for stupid archers, I guess there may be some, but those of us who take the sport seriously are trained correctly, I personally am a member of both the NFAS and the EFAA and am insured through both groups to shoot on approved courses and at approved events ONLY.

I wonder how many people who go 'Geo-caching' have any sort of formal training whatsoever, let alone carry any sort of insurance by way of public liability if nothing else? I totally understand, though that there is no legal requirement for you to do so though, unlike with my sport.

I expect there are many of you who are, though, judging by the few things I have noticed on this (admittedly very interesting) website so far, which has to be a good thing.

What you don't realise is that we, as members, can post what is known as a "Needs Archived" note, which alerts the reviewer to problems with that specific geocache. Telling us which cache it is (or the location of the cache) doesn't protect anybody. Any geocacher in the area can look at that cache page today and decide to go looking for the cache. By telling us which cache you are having issues with, we can post warnings and probably get the cache shut down.

Yes I challenged him, which is how I knew what he was doing, and that he HAD seen the warning signs and HAD chosen to ignore them.
then your problem isn't with geocaching. The problem was with this individual. This particular person was, to be blunt, a dumbass. He could just as easily have been orienteering, or birdwatching, or a rockhound. The result is the same.

geocaches are placed all over, and people try to access them from any direction you can imagine

and also the directions you can newer imagine.

but again if ONE person on purpose ignore safety signs

sure this is very bad !! I am compleetly with you !!

but ban or remove all caches from the entire area is not fair..

again lets hear the other side of the storry ?

is the cache really on forbidden grounds ?

maybe he just think a short-cut was smart ?

maybe the cache is on the other side of "your" area ?

why keep it a secret what cache it is ??

if there is a serious danger there

surely we need all people to know about where it really is.

The cache is, I believe, located inside the woods which are solely and exclusively designated to the archery course, as far as I am aware, and they are definately private property with no 'our' area and 'their' area involved. I did not see where the geocacher went after he left me, and there was no way I was going to follow him (possibly into the paths of other archers) to find out.

One of the problems here is that it is not only the geo-cacher who is at risk here? If an archer does catch sight of something in the split second it takes to release an arrow (once aimed), then it may well miss the intended target, be deflected, or even worse?

Surely it is better to remove the source of any possible 'conflict', and as this is a purposely designated and designed course, set aside specifically for archery purposes it must make sense to remove any and ALL such caches from within this area?

If I am right in my understanding that permission must be gained before locating a cache on 'private property' I really cannot understand how or why the owners of these woods would knowingly allow anybody access to them, other than bona fide archery club members, let alone for someone to plant something in them which would attract other non members in? Even as members we are not allowed to take anybody into the woods with us without the express permission of the club officials?

I don't think we do need all other people to know where this cache is, we actually need it removing and disabling in the first place, before something serious happens!

Yes I challenged him, which is how I knew what he was doing, and that he HAD seen the warning signs and HAD chosen to ignore them.
then your problem isn't with geocaching. The problem was with this individual. This particular person was, to be blunt, a dumbass. He could just as easily have been orienteering, or birdwatching, or a rockhound. The result is the same.

I totally agree with you, but while this cache remains in place then there is the possibility of another, to be blunt, dumbass, putting himself and/or an archer in a potentially dangerous situation? If the geocache is removed then I personally won't have any problems with geo-cashers, agreed, but if it is allowed to remain in place then our whole club (not just me) WILL have a problem with any and all geo-cachers who walk into OUR course and totally ignore the warning signs?

Why should we have our sport jeapordized by a 'dumbass' when the most logical thing to do would be to disable the cache which is in a dangerous location on private property in a clearly designated archery course, where we actually pay a membership fee to use, and are resposible for the upkeep of? We are resposible people, hence my attempt to do the responsible thing?

I totally agree with you, but while this cache remains in place then there is the possibility of another, to be blunt, dumbass, putting himself and/or an archer in a potentially dangerous situation? If the geocache is removed then I personally won't have any problems with geo-cashers, agreed, but if it is allowed to remain in place then our whole club (not just me) WILL have a problem with any and all geo-cachers who walk into OUR course and totally ignore the warning signs?

Why should we have our sport jeapordized by a 'dumbass' when the most logical thing to do would be to disable the cache which is in a dangerous location on private property in a clearly designated archery course, where we actually pay a membership fee to use, and are resposible for the upkeep of? We are resposible people, hence my attempt to do the responsible thing?

It's clear that you're very upset, and you have every right to be. But your emotions are clouding your judgement. Let's separate the important points here.

1. Anyone can ignore the signs and put themselves in a bad position.

2. To paint all geocachers with the same brush as you're doing here is irresponsible. Yes, there are irresponsible cachers who will ignore signs. There are also irresponsible bridwatchers and orienteering enthusiasts who will do the same. But there are also many more geocachers who will do the right thing.

3. If the land is truly private property, then the cache never should have been published in the first place. Unless someone has given permission for it to be there. Is your house in order? IOW, is it possible that someone representing the club did give permission, and you simply aren't aware?

4. Is it possible that the cache itself is outside the boundaries of the private property, and this individual took a shortcut that he shouldn't have?

5. Since you've not posted the GC code, it's impossible for anyone here to know what, if any, information was provided on the listing (and your own statements about any information posted there are going to be biased, whether you realize it or not). Is it possible that the cache is in a legal location, and there's a warning on the cache page telling people about the archery course and that they should avoid it?

If the local reviewer isn't taking action rapidly enough email Groundspeak directly. But tone it down, because you aren't coming across well. Keep it calm & rational.

What you don't realise is that we, as members, can post what is known as a "Needs Archived" note, which alerts the reviewer to problems with that specific geocache. Telling us which cache it is (or the location of the cache) doesn't protect anybody. Any geocacher in the area can look at that cache page today and decide to go looking for the cache. By telling us which cache you are having issues with, we can post warnings and probably get the cache shut down.

You are totally right, I 'don't' realise what can and can't be done because I am not a geocacher and have no experience in this stuff whatsoever, which is why I inititally didn't put the details down for fear of being in the wrong and attracting more people to it? Had I been advised to do this in the first place then I might have asked for further guidance, but as it is someone has (hopefully) pointed me in the right direction, and if this leads to the cache being disabled then that's all we need?

If this doesn't happen, however, and in a timely manner, then I will be asking for further help, believe me. I'd just rather not reveal the exact location to everybody as yet, unless I receive express direction from my archery club to do so?

It is not just your geocache that might attract unwanted attention, there has also been 'incidents' (theft, vandalism, etc) involving archery clubs throughout this country which is why many of their locations are not generally publicised?

I have passed on the name of the woods, the location of the woods, and the nearest postcode to the woods, hopefully that will be sufficient. Had I known that some kind of reference number for the cache itself would have been helpful I would have tried to obtain it from the geocacher himself.

Since you know the location well (or claim to), you should be able to locate the cache on the maps provided on the website. That GC code is very valuable information to the reviewer, and other cachers in the area - without it, the reviewer may be forced to disable a dozen caches in that area, instead of the one that caused this problem.

As a member, you should be able to look at the Geoaching.com maps and find out which cache it is. Then you could tell the reviewer exactly which cache it is and get even quicker action taken. You can also put a "Needs Archived" note on the cache page as well.

Okay thanks, this is the sort of advice I appreciate, if I can just find out how to do that....

Will let you know how I get on!

I don't think we do need all other people to know where this cache is, we actually need it removing and disabling in the first place, before something serious happens!

What you don't seem to understand is that EVERYBODY knows where that cache is. Or, at any rate, anybody that chooses to can go look for it. We can all see all cache pages. The only issue is that we, in this forum thread, don't know which cache it is. Even the reviewer is going to have to make his best guess.

Another thing that you don't realize is that the cache may very well NOT be in the archery park, possibly nowhere near it. Newbie cachers have been known to input the coordinates without setting up their GPS to use the proper datum format, which can inadvertantly send them very much astray. New cachers also often manually input the coordinates (whereas those that have been doing this for a while do it electronically) which gives plenty of opportunity to mis-type them, again, sending them looking in areas that don't have any caches.

Additionally, we have a type of cache known as a "mystery" or "puzzle" cache where the geocacher needs to solve a riddle to get the actual coordinates. This could have been a cacher that thought that they had solved a puzzle, but had come up with the wrong answer (not that he should have ignored private property or other warning signs, of course!)

Since you know the location well (or claim to), you should be able to locate the cache on the maps provided on the website. That GC code is very valuable information to the reviewer, and other cachers in the area - without it, the reviewer may be forced to disable a dozen caches in that area, instead of the one that caused this problem.

Okay thanks, again this is the sort of advice I appreciate, if I can just find out how to do that....

Will let you know how I get on!

Reviewers do not disable caches for danger. Also if there is no geocaching policy in place, then it is published. I'm wondering why the owner of the archery course did not try to make contact? I suspect that this may be just outside of the course, and the cacher went the wrong way. If it is actually on the course, it would be interesting to hear from the CO, and possibly any other cachers who ignored the signage. Some cachers seem to assume that every cache has permission, and ignore signs that may be old and not valid anymore.

If it happens again, just shoot them in the ankle and that will shut the cache down quick. As it is now, there has been potential for serious injury for at least the last few days. Perhaps you should have had the owner of the property call Groundspeak directly when it occurred.

That is precicely what we are trying to help you to do!

You are totally right, I 'don't' realise what can and can't be done because I am not a geocacher and have no experience in this stuff whatsoever, which is why I inititally didn't put the details down for fear of being in the wrong and attracting more people to it? Had I been advised to do this in the first place then I might have asked for further guidance, but as it is someone has (hopefully) pointed me in the right direction, and if this leads to the cache being disabled then that's all we need?

If this doesn't happen, however, and in a timely manner, then I will be asking for further help, believe me. I'd just rather not reveal the exact location to everybody as yet, unless I receive express direction from my archery club to do so?

It is not just your geocache that might attract unwanted attention, there has also been 'incidents' (theft, vandalism, etc) involving archery clubs throughout this country which is why many of their locations are not generally publicised?

I understand your concerns about not providing the location. However, in this case, the cat is out of the bag. It's already publicized world-wide on-line as a Geocache. It's better to identify it as a problem until it can be removed. Otherwise, you may have other geocachers looking for it without realizing the danger.

Edited by Colonial Cats

I get the feeling that the cache in question is NOT on the archery property and the OP is just venting because his practice was interrupted.

Someone trespassed on the property and it bothered him. As to only seeing the target when using the sight on his bow, I don't think that is quite accurate. He may be concentrating so hard on his target that he doesn't see anything else, but if he is honest with himself there is still a small field of view in the aperture of his sight. It may not be very large, but it is still there and can allow an archer to see something moving into the path the arrow will take.

Is the cache actually on the Archery Range?

John

Reviewers do not disable caches for danger. Also if there is no geocaching policy in place, then it is published. I'm wondering why the owner of the archery course did not try to make contact? I suspect that this may be just outside of the course, and the cacher went the wrong way. If it is actually on the course, it would be interesting to hear from the CO, and possibly any other cachers who ignored the signage. Some cachers seem to assume that every cache has permission, and ignore signs that may be old and not valid anymore.

If it happens again, just shoot them in the ankle and that will shut the cache down quick. As it is now, there has been potential for serious injury for at least the last few days. Perhaps you should have had the owner of the property call Groundspeak directly when it occurred.

The owner of the archery course (our club) was not aware there was a cache in the location, we happen to be field archers, not geocachers, with respect?

As for calling Groundspeak, I didn't even know it existed till today?

As for shooting anyone in the ankle, I presume it was a joke (durrrr???) if that happened we wouldn't have an archery club to be worried about............

Why would accidentally shooting someone who ignored private property signs get you in serious trouble or the range shut down? Does the law not allow for accidents?

Are there permits required that your club doesn't have?

Edited by JJnTJ

The owner of the archery course (our club) was not aware there was a cache in the location, we happen to be field archers, not geocachers, with respect?

As for calling Groundspeak, I didn't even know it existed till today?

As for shooting anyone in the ankle, I presume it was a joke (durrrr???) if that happened we wouldn't have an archery club to be worried about............

Well, why not shoot them in the ankle? They ignored obvious signage. You also did not notify anyone all weekend about a potentially dangerous situation which existed. The quickest way would have been to make a phone call, instead of posting it here. There is also no valid reason to hide what particular area, archery range, or cache it is either. If it is truly a danger, everyone should know which cache it is, and should be warned. Correct?

As a result of some helpful advice on here I've now found a map of the area in question, and it shows a number of caches around the outside of the woods in question, but not close enough for anyone to take a (highly dangerous) shortcut through our course to find them, in fact they all appear to be on roads - although I suppose someone may still take a shortcut across a field if they are walking everywhere.

Come to think of this, there were a couple cutting across a field neerby a couble of weeks agio with an ordnance survey map, so perhaps that's what they were up to?

On thing that has got alarm bells ringing though, and I need further advice on this please, is that when I put the postcode in I have there are all of the above mentioned caches listed - with a sort of box next to them, however there is one which has a question mark by the side of it and this is not shown on the map, apparently it is only available to 'premium' members here.

What makes the alarm bells ring, is the fact that this item was apparently first 'placed' on 02/04/11, but appears to have been found 'today' - this cache appears to be the closest to the postcode I have.

Is there someone here who can check out the exact location on my behalf if I email them the details of it, again I don't want to publish the exact details on here at this stage?