Groundspeak Forums: eXplorist GC VS eXplorist 110 - Groundspeak Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eXplorist GC VS eXplorist 110 Why the 110 is cheaper

#1 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Should I buy the eXplorist GC, 110 or 310?

Both seems good units but the 110 is cheaper with more function... I dont understand why?

Wich one works better? there is also the 310 wich is only a few dollars more... maybe it's a better unit with a better lock on my position?

Help please!!!!!! I just want to do basic geocaching.

Thanks.

http://www.gpscentra...comparison.html

This post has been edited by D0UNE: 11 September 2012 - 08:23 AM


#2 User is offline   Mr.Yuck 

  • He Hate Me
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 9904
  • Joined: 19-August 03

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostD0UNE, on 11 September 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

Should I buy the eXplorist GC, 110 or 310?

Both seems good units but the 110 is cheaper with more function... I dont understand why?

Wich one works better? there is also the 310 wich is only a few dollars more... maybe it's a better unit with a better lock on my position?

Help please!!!!!! I just want to do basic geocaching.

Thanks.

http://www.gpscentra...comparison.html


The main difference is right there. The GC holds 10,000 Geocaches, the 110 holds only 500. Some of the things you see there that might make you think the 110 has more "functions", such as the 25 routes can be explained by the fact the GC is marketed as being 100% dedicated to Geocaching.

The 310? It's the first in the series that allows you to add your own maps. That's about it, it's still joystick entry. I think you'd be better off moving up to a 510 (touch screen) at that point.

#3 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

do you know wich maps are better? the Worldwide Map or the World Edition??

Also I guess in the Explorist series, they all have the same qualityy of gps? I Think the 310 has a better one, its an electronic compas that the other dont have?

Are they using the same UI software?

This post has been edited by D0UNE: 11 September 2012 - 09:34 AM


#4 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

at only 119.99$ I just buy the 110 :-) I think this is the best buy, and it's the most recent model! ill find much more cache this year...

#5 User is offline   Gitchee-Gummee 

  • Minor Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8081
  • Joined: 12-June 09

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostD0UNE, on 11 September 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

at only 119.99$ I just buy the 110 :-) I think this is the best buy, and it's the most recent model! ill find much more cache this year...

Tread lightly with that thought --- newer does not necessarily mean better! It doesn't mean less better either. It does mean that there is not a good percentage of valid reviews available.

Personally, I like tried and true much more than new.

#6 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

I agree, but I think that this one will do the job until I buy a real one... like the Explorist 710! (If I'm really really hooked on Geocaching) and I will give this one to my daughter :-)

#7 User is offline   Mr.Yuck 

  • He Hate Me
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 9904
  • Joined: 19-August 03

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostD0UNE, on 11 September 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

do you know wich maps are better? the Worldwide Map or the World Edition??

Also I guess in the Explorist series, they all have the same qualityy of gps? I Think the 310 has a better one, its an electronic compas that the other dont have?

Are they using the same UI software?


I am unable to find the difference between the worldwide map and the World edition. The 110 and 310 come with the world edition though. I can see the the 110 and 310 having a slightly better map than the GC, with the GC being "dedicated to Geocaching", as it is. I assume they expect to sell some of the 110's and 310's to hikers and hunters that don't necessarily use them for Geocaching.

The quality of GPS looks the same to me on your comparison link, and the GC, 110, and 310 have the same "body" if you will. The Touch screen units, 510 and above are physically larger. No, the 310 does not have an electronic compass. Even the 510 doesn't. You have to go up to the 610. Personally, I think electronic compasses are overated. I've been using lower end units with the differential compass (you have to be moving for it to point to the cache) my entire career. I have seen a few smartphone users upgrading to lower end handhelds complaining that they "lost" the electronic compass feature though. :)

Gee, they don't show a picture of the menu on the 310, but it's the same body with the same joystick menu navigation/data entry. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the user interface is the same as the 110, save maybe for a few minor features on the more expensive 310. The GC has a different menu than the 110, again with the whole "dedicated to Geocaching" thing.

There are some extremely knowledgeable people at www.exploristforum.com but there's two problems there. It takes a day or two to get approved to post (anti-spam measure), and it's been reported to me as an attack site on both Firefox and Chrome for about 2 weeks now!! I assume they know this, and are trying to get off the blacklist. It's run by Geocachers, and Magellan monitors it.

#8 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

dam, I cancel the 110 and change for the GC, I want to make sure I have all the otions that facilitate good geocaching experience... I hope the maps are not too bad... tks for your comments :-)

This post has been edited by D0UNE: 12 September 2012 - 09:30 AM


#9 User is offline   EScout 

  • Elevation: 75 feet
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 2259
  • Joined: 18-August 02

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

I have the GC, and the 110, and did the firmware conversion of the GC to a 310. Of the three get the 310. If you want lower price, get the 110 over the GC. You are limited to 500 caches on the 110, but the other features, like track logging are worth it to me.

#10 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

What!! you converted your gc into a 310? is it working well???

#11 User is offline   Mr.Yuck 

  • He Hate Me
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 9904
  • Joined: 19-August 03

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostD0UNE, on 13 September 2012 - 05:33 AM, said:

What!! you converted your gc into a 310? is it working well???


I've heard you can do that. Just like I was going to convert the Nook my kid won at a Chinese Auction into an Android Tablet. But I figured with no sound, why bother, and it's still a Nook. But I'll let EScout answer on how to "root" an Explorist. I'd like to hear how it works myself. Up to this point, it's only been a persistent rumor I've heard. :)

#12 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

Oh... and another question a bout those explorist device: can you use them in winter a -25 degree?

#13 User is offline   Mr.Yuck 

  • He Hate Me
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 9904
  • Joined: 19-August 03

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

View PostD0UNE, on 13 September 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

Oh... and another question a bout those explorist device: can you use them in winter a -25 degree?


Well, I do live in Buffalo, NY, but I received the Explorist for Christmas last year, and I'm lucky if I ever used it below 20 Degrees Farenheit in the remaining 3 months of what was one of the mildest winters on record.

However, in my 9 years Geocaching experience, and caching in temperatures as low as I'll guess -5 to -8 Degrees Farenheit, I will say my Garmin GPS 60 series I had from 2005 to late 2011 always worked in such temperatures, just with slow screen response. Not GPS function response mind you, just slow entry and response times on the screen. Like scrolling through the list of nearby caches, selecting one, and hitting "go to", for example.

Interesting, the Explorist line is rated for a min. temp of +14 Degrees F. I had to look it up, but the Garmin GPS 60 series is rated for a min. of +5 Degrees F. I think the Explorist will work fine at -25 Deg. C. Just Sloooooowwwwwlllly. :)

#14 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

14F to 140F (-10C - 60C ) ???

#15 User is offline   EScout 

  • Elevation: 75 feet
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 2259
  • Joined: 18-August 02

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Want maps on your Magellan GC?

above is the tread that describes the firmware change. The GPSr works great, but you will not have a working map, just a very basic base map. I have not taken the time to find and install maps on it. This may take some work, and cost. I do not recommend the conversion for most. I did it because I have several other functioning GPSrs, and I could experiment. For new GPSr users, I recommend buying the 110 or GC or 310 and use Vantage Point. In a couple of minutes you will have your PQ of caches loaded and out the door cache finding.

#16 User is offline   Mr.Yuck 

  • He Hate Me
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 9904
  • Joined: 19-August 03

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostEScout, on 13 September 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Want maps on your Magellan GC?

above is the tread that describes the firmware change. The GPSr works great, but you will not have a working map, just a very basic base map. I have not taken the time to find and install maps on it. This may take some work, and cost. I do not recommend the conversion for most. I did it because I have several other functioning GPSrs, and I could experiment. For new GPSr users, I recommend buying the 110 or GC or 310 and use Vantage Point. In a couple of minutes you will have your PQ of caches loaded and out the door cache finding.


As someone who received a GC as a gift, and own 2 other handheld units, I might just have to give that a go!!

View PostD0UNE, on 13 September 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

14F to 140F (-10C - 60C ) ???


Yes, I saw that. And the Garmin GPS 60 series, which I own, says 5F, or 9 degrees colder. As long as you're not in Nunavut, I've had no problems running around outside in slightly below zero (Farenheit) temperatures caching for a few hours.

#17 User is offline   fishgeek 

  • Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 220
  • Joined: 23-November 01

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

I've used a GC for a couple of years now. I don't know how I could geocache with a limit of 500 caches in my GPS. On a day-long car trip, I'll load up a couple of 1000-cache route PQ's and three or four regular (radial) 1000-cache PQ's of places where I might want to leave the route and the destination city. Once I run the PQ's, it only takes a few minutes to put them into the GC. I have the whole trip covered and do not need internet access, or even computer access. The hard part is setting up all of the PQ's on GC.com to make sure that I'll have all of the areas that I might need.

I only have a dumb phone. If I had the capability to look up caches on the fly, all of the above might change. It works well for me now, though.

View PostMr.Yuck, on 11 September 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

View PostD0UNE, on 11 September 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

Should I buy the eXplorist GC, 110 or 310?

Both seems good units but the 110 is cheaper with more function... I dont understand why?

Wich one works better? there is also the 310 wich is only a few dollars more... maybe it's a better unit with a better lock on my position?

Help please!!!!!! I just want to do basic geocaching.

Thanks.

http://www.gpscentra...comparison.html


The main difference is right there. The GC holds 10,000 Geocaches, the 110 holds only 500. Some of the things you see there that might make you think the 110 has more "functions", such as the 25 routes can be explained by the fact the GC is marketed as being 100% dedicated to Geocaching.

The 310? It's the first in the series that allows you to add your own maps. That's about it, it's still joystick entry. I think you'd be better off moving up to a 510 (touch screen) at that point.


#18 User is offline   Gitchee-Gummee 

  • Minor Member
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 8081
  • Joined: 12-June 09

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostD0UNE, on 13 September 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

Oh... and another question a bout those explorist device: can you use them in winter a -25 degree?

Well.... your body is 98.6°F (thereabouts). That is where you should carry it. Bring it out when you need it, put 'er back when done.
The display screen on your unit (or any other) will not like sustained -25°F.

Aside from that, the -25° kills batteries moreso than the unit, rather it renders them useless until warmed -- so don't let 'em get cold!

EDIT to add: I would bet that FEW go caching at -25°F. But really, it's the windchill that is the determining factor.

This post has been edited by Gitchee-Gummee: 14 September 2012 - 09:42 AM


#19 User is offline   Socal ZukiCachers 

  • Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 283
  • Joined: 21-June 06

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostGitchee-Gummee, on 14 September 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

View PostD0UNE, on 13 September 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

Oh... and another question a bout those explorist device: can you use them in winter a -25 degree?

Well.... your body is 98.6F (thereabouts). That is where you should carry it. Bring it out when you need it, put 'er back when done.
The display screen on your unit (or any other) will not like sustained -25F.

Aside from that, the -25 kills batteries moreso than the unit, rather it renders them useless until warmed -- so don't let 'em get cold!

EDIT to add: I would bet that FEW go caching at -25F. But really, it's the windchill that is the determining factor.


Why not consider the eX310? Then you get the best of both the eX110 and the GC and you can get it for $159 on Amazon.com...

David
Magellan Insider

#20 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostSocal ZukiCachers, on 17 September 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:


Why not consider the eX310? Then you get the best of both the eX110 and the GC and you can get it for $159 on Amazon.com...

David
Magellan Insider


David,

That is exactly what I was going to do, to get the x310, but because I only want to do Geocaching (I am not interested in Fishing or hunting) I wanted to make sure I have the best Geocaching experience... after comparing the specs on Magellan websites I found that the xGC seems to have more geocaching options but the maps look all the same, if the geocaching options where the same but the 310 had better maps, i'll go for it, but it is very difficult to make a choice on the website... so I just buy the GC.

#21 User is offline   D0UNE 

  • D0une la Géocacheuse
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-June 12

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

OMG I just received My new eXploristGC and it is SOOO SMALL! I will not be able to use this tiny little toy without my glasses!! tHE SCREEN AND THE FONT SIZE IS SO SMALL AND THERE IS NO MUCH CONTRAST IN THE INTERFACE OULALA!

#22 User is offline   Socal ZukiCachers 

  • Geocacher
  • Group: +Premium Members
  • Posts: 283
  • Joined: 21-June 06

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostD0UNE, on 19 September 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

OMG I just received My new eXploristGC and it is SOOO SMALL! I will not be able to use this tiny little toy without my glasses!! tHE SCREEN AND THE FONT SIZE IS SO SMALL AND THERE IS NO MUCH CONTRAST IN THE INTERFACE OULALA!


Unfortunetly small is what people have been asking for! If you need a larger unit, the eXplorist 510 is running $229 on Amazon and has a much larger screen and has all of the capabilities of the GC plus a whole lot more. The eX510 also includes a geotagging camera and video recorder, voice recorder and has an SD card so you can load an unlimited amount of customs maps and other items on the unit. My wife also has a hard time with the smaller GPSes and was always carrying her glasses with her when caching; however, I got her an eX610 and she has no problem reading it without her glasses. One of the things that I love with the larger units is that I have over 6,600sq miles of Satellite maps loaded on an SD card and when I'm out caching I can see right where the cache is. This has been an amazing plus while caching both in town and out in the desert.

David
Magellan Insider

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic