Garmin Adventures

MtnHermit

So has anyone put together a Garmin Adventures? I found a review on Rich Owens website (gpstracklog.com) and clicked into a sample, it didn't have a map. My overall take is this is Garmin's Wherigo, is that correct?

I'm hoping for a canned package much like the BaseCamp geotagged photos with a map and an image viewer that allow the user to see photos in map context.

I'll do more research in the morning when the brain is above half speed.

So has anyone put together a Garmin Adventures? I found a review on Rich Owens website (gpstracklog.com) and clicked into a sample, it didn't have a map. My overall take is this is Garmin's Wherigo, is that correct?

I'm hoping for a canned package much like the BaseCamp geotagged photos with a map and an image viewer that allow the user to see photos in map context.

I'll do more research in the morning when the brain is above half speed.

Here is a walk through touching on what Adventures are, how they work, and how they are used on a Montana GPSr. Most Garmin units are very similar.

They most certainly are not like Wherigo, which required the user to locate specific coordinates and answer puzzle questions before proceeding.

Garmin Adventures are, more or less, an online collection of user submitted 'Trip Logs', or 'Diaries', comprised of recorded tracks, waypoints, and photos the Adventure creator wishes to share with the community. Videos can also be included, but are not accessible on the GPSr. These Adventures can be loaded directly to your GPSr via BaseCamp, giving you access to a guided tour of sorts.

Garmin Adventures are still quite new and have many little pesky bugs to work out, but ultimately I think they will be a very nice additional feature.

Edited by Atlas Cached

What I learned:

Garmin Adventures appears to work only within BaseCamp, it took my track and geotagged photos and created a "movie" of the hike and photos I took within BC. I could not find a way to export the "movie" to a YouTube video or flash player.

Pros:

- compelling animation of my movement on the track

- an automated pause to show the photos

- a slider so the user can speed the playback

- the map was displayed in a heads up mode, like a car GPS

Cons:

- no apparent export outside of BC

- didn't find a north up map display mode

I was hoping to attach to this post the GA for your review, did not find a way. Garmin Adventures has a lot of potential if it can be exported outside of BC.

I'm still learning so if you know more please add comments.

You can "export" your adventure by sending it to a connected gps or uploading it to the Garmin adventure website such as this: LINK or this one: LINK

BUT, the viewer MUST have BaseCamp installed to view the exported GA. BC is a 50 MB download and it requires Net Framework 3 (whatever that is) NF3 is an even bigger D/L. Just because BC is free is not sufficient.

IMO, Garmin needs to create an export to a "Universal" player, NOT BaseCamp. Has great potential with that universal export.

Been Googling and found out the above.

Thanks for the reply,

I discovered the Garmin Adventures earlier this year. I've made a couple. I enjoy it, it's a good way to document a trip. I like it because I can upload them to the web and share the link with friends and family, they can see the pictures I took, the trail, the waypoints. They may not want to necessarily download the adventure for their own personal use, so not having Basecamp isn't a big deal for them.

You can "export" your adventure by sending it to a connected gps or uploading it to the Garmin adventure website such as this: LINK or this one: LINK

BUT, the viewer MUST have BaseCamp installed to view the exported GA. BC is a 50 MB download and it requires Net Framework 3 (whatever that is) NF3 is an even bigger D/L. Just because BC is free is not sufficient.

IMO, Garmin needs to create an export to a "Universal" player, NOT BaseCamp. Has great potential with that universal export.

Been Googling and found out the above.

Thanks for the reply,

BaseCamp is not required, or used in any way, to view the Garmin Adventures shared by coggins in the post you quoted above.

Viewing any Garmin Adventure is possible with just a link and a web browser of your choice. How much more universal can they be?

Edited by Atlas Cached