GeoTour! by Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

Smithsonian NMNH

The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History invites you to join us on the New NMNH GeoTour

It will go live on will go live on April 2:

http://www.geocaching.com/adventures/geotours/smithsonian-nmnh

cdb27aaf-b63d-42ed-9871-5066ec45bf2c.jpg

This exciting new adventure established by the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) provides an educational geocaching experience based on museum content – be it exhibits, collections, and/or online presence. The new GeoTour will go live on April 2, 2013.

The NMNH GeoTour consists of a total of nine new geocaches: two EarthCaches, six puzzle caches, and one traditional. By finding all nine geocaches and completing the GeoTour passport, geocachers will be rewarded with a link to a special NMNH GeoTour badge to post on their geocaching profile page! (not a Geocaching souvenir)

Our goal is to extend the outreach and educational content of the Natural History Museum beyond the National Mall and our website, and into a personal educational field experience. The nine NMNH geocaches will take you on an archaeological and geological trip to the area near South Mountain, PA; to a wetland habitat in an area that once was part of a military base and that is in the process of returning to its natural habitat in northern Virginia; a visit to the dinosaur park just south of Laurel, MD; as well as expose you to corners of NMNH exhibits and web sites that you might have overlooked. You will learn about active research, and how that research improved airline safety for the traveling public; how research being done is making significant changes to our understanding of the peopling of North America, a current topic which has fostered much controversy and debate in the archaeological community.

Each of the NMNH geocache pages contain a wealth of educational content, and the nine cache locations have been specifically chosen to provide geocachers with an outdoor learning experience. Our intent is that the experience of completing the National Museum of Natural History GeoTour will be more than finding the geocaches. Our hope is that you come away with a better understanding of the scope of the National Museum of Natural History. And have a bit of fun along the way!

Geocaching is primarily an outdoor activity in which the geocacher uses a hand held global positioning system receiver (GPS) or a smartphone to locate a point of interest. At the point of interest there may be a physical container, or (in the case of an EarthCache) no container but a geologic feature to be examined.

Come and experience natural history through geocaching!

Miss Jenn, are the caches going to be listed here on GC.com??

I'm not Miss Jenn (easily distinguished from me by her effusive charm and dazzling appearance), but I can tell you that the caches will be published in the regular way here on Tuesday, April 2nd.

The one that I reviewed will make for a very nice hike in a State Forest. :)

Miss Jenn, are the caches going to be listed here on GC.com??

I'm not Miss Jenn (easily distinguished from me by her effusive charm and dazzling appearance), but I can tell you that the caches will be published in the regular way here on Tuesday, April 2nd.

The one that I reviewed will make for a very nice hike in a State Forest. :)

:wub:

Keystone, you are right! (about the caches anyway)

Just researched these in anticipation for flying to DC on Friday- hoping to snag a cache or two on the Mall, of course!

My first reaction is just bravo to the Smithsonian NMNH crew, they've done a stellar job and I'm sad I don't live in the area and won't be able to devote time to do this series.