How to mark New Geocaches on a Garmin Montana 600

Hello all!

I recently upgraded my 60CSx to a Montana 600. Wow, what a difference! I've figured out how to mark a waypoint and use averaging, but how would I manually add it as a geocache, not a waypoint? The reason I would want to do this is on the map screen I use the geocaching dashboard which has a compass on it. I can't beat a map AND a compass on the same page! But if a new cache shows up in my email and I want to run out without booting up my laptop, I can only add a waypoint. Then when I'm using the map to find the waypoint, the compass is showing the nearest geocache, which is NOT what I'm looking for. As a work around I've been changing the dashboard to small data. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Find another

Waypoint - assuming you've already entered the coordinates for the new cache. If not, select "coordinates" and enter the coordinates

select "direct routing" or "automobile routing"

Map page will show you route (or straight line to coordinates) and compass will show you distance to coordinates/waypoint (direct) or distance to next turn (automobile)

Compass points to a geocache, but not a waypoint?

No, he wants to use the Geocaching dashboard screen which has both a map and a compass combined. In "normal" mode, you get one or the other. the Geocaching app part of the units have a bunch of features that work only on caches.

I think one way you can do it, but a bit convoluted is to create a waypoint while inside a specific cache and you can then navigate to it with the Geocaching screens (I think). It is the way to do multicaches.

I did change the icon to the closed chest like I used to on the 60CSx. No dice. It's even a different icon from what GSAK puts on there. It's no big deal. I can use the map OR the compass. If I use the geocaching app (or widget) then it points to the next closest geocache. Which I guess makes sense as I entered a waypoint, not a geocache and apparently I can't enter a geocache...Oh well. For all of the great features, I can live with one inconvenience.

Thanks everyone and happy caching!