Magellan 110 HELP... I feel really stupid here..

Hello out there!

For 2 years now I have been using my smart phone to cache. I purchased the Magellan 110 explorist and the 310 is also on its way.

OK, so I power this thing up and the GPS tool in settings says it is on, but still I haven't any bars at the top. Can someone help? I lieterally just took this thing out of the box and I am feeling utterly useless.

Hello out there!

For 2 years now I have been using my smart phone to cache. I purchased the Magellan 110 explorist and the 310 is also on its way.

OK, so I power this thing up and the GPS tool in settings says it is on, but still I haven't any bars at the top. Can someone help? I lieterally just took this thing out of the box and I am feeling utterly useless.

Did it come with an owner's manual? Walking through the steps with the manual would be the way to go to get familiar with the gps.

If it didn't come with a manual, an online one is available to download:

http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/OM_eXplorist_110NA_EN.pdf

B.

You need lots of time, with a clear view of the sky.

The first time, or after not being activated for a VERY long time -- or long distance traveled, most any GPSr needs an extended view of the sky. It may take up to 1/2 hour in order for it to fully acquire the satellite constellation.

Go to an area with an open view of the sky (no buildings or trees blocking), turn it on and let it set there. This is something that you cannot hurry.

This is referred to as a "cold start". A "warm start" is where the unit already has the constellation in memory, and that it had last been operated in/near that location. A "hot start", is turning it on again, soon following a turn off.

Keep in mind, that traveling long distances with the unit turned off, 300 - 400+ miles also requires a cold start.

This is an often-asked question presented by somebody not familiar with GPSr use.

Thank you so much for the tip. I guess I am so used to my phone being my GPS I figured I could start the thing up in my house :)

The first time, or after not being activated for a VERY long time -- or long distance traveled, most any GPSr needs an extended view of the sky. It may take up to 1/2 hour in order for it to fully acquire the satellite constellation.

Go to an area with an open view of the sky (no buildings or trees blocking), turn it on and let it set there. This is something that you cannot hurry.

This is referred to as a "cold start". A "warm start" is where the unit already has the constellation in memory, and that it had last been operated in/near that location. A "hot start", is turning it on again, soon following a turn off.

Keep in mind, that traveling long distances with the unit turned off, 300 - 400+ miles also requires a cold start.

This is an often-asked question presented by somebody not familiar with GPSr use.

Harley's Mom- I completely understand where you are coming from and I am so glad that you made this post. I've just taken my Magellan 110 out of the box and I had the same problem! No bars at the top! When I go outside I have some reception but it's very weak and drops in and out. Thank you Gitchee-Gummee, now I know about the cold start, I hope I can get the darn thing to work...

I assume that also with this "cold start" that the "geocaches near me" will update? I live in Australia and the nearest cache I am getting is at the Grand Canyon! Is there anything special that I need to do to get this to update?

Thank you so much for the tip. I guess I am so used to my phone being my GPS I figured I could start the thing up in my house :)

Harley's Mom- I completely understand where you are coming from and I am so glad that you made this post. I've just taken my Magellan 110 out of the box and I had the same problem! No bars at the top! When I go outside I have some reception but it's very weak and drops in and out. Thank you Gitchee-Gummee, now I know about the cold start, I hope I can get the darn thing to work...

I assume that also with this "cold start" that the "geocaches near me" will update? I live in Australia and the nearest cache I am getting is at the Grand Canyon! Is there anything special that I need to do to get this to update?

Once the satellites are acquired, yes, the nearest geocache that is pre-loaded into the GPS unit will show up. However, the pre-loaded caches are only a small number of the total geocaches out there, so even the closest one that shows up in your GPS unit might not actually be very nearby to you. There are likely caches much closer. The best thing to do is delete these pre-loaded caches and download the caches that are nearest to you or the caches that are in the area where you'd like to go geocaching.

Thank you redwoodkestrel- I've worked it out now, and found 6 caches all in my own neighborhood- this is very cool :)

Once the satellites are acquired, yes, the nearest geocache that is pre-loaded into the GPS unit will show up. However, the pre-loaded caches are only a small number of the total geocaches out there, so even the closest one that shows up in your GPS unit might not actually be very nearby to you. There are likely caches much closer. The best thing to do is delete these pre-loaded caches and download the caches that are nearest to you or the caches that are in the area where you'd like to go geocaching.