When cityfolk go wilderness caching:

Mopar

These quotations are actual comments left on Forest Service registration sheets and comment cards by hikers completing wilderness camping trips.*

"Escalators would help on steep uphill sections."

"A small deer came into my camp and stole my bag of pickles. Is there a way I can get reimbursed? Please call."

"Instead of a permit system or regulations, the Forest Service needs to reduce worldwide population growth to limit the number of visitors to wilderness."

"Trails need to be wider so people can walk while holding hands."

"Ban walking sticks in wilderness. Hikers that use walking sticks are more likely to chase animals."

"All the mile markers are missing this year."

"Found a smoldering cigarette left by a horse."

"Trails need to be reconstructed. Please avoid building trails that go uphill."

"Too many bugs and leeches and spiders and spider webs. Please spray the wilderness to rid the area of these pests."

"Please pave the trails so they can be plowed of snow in the winter."

"Chairlifts need to be in some places so that we can get to wonderful views without having to hike to them."

"The coyotes made too much noise last night and kept me awake. Please eradicate these annoying animals."

"Reflectors need to be placed on trees every 50 feet so people can hike at night with flashlights."

"A McDonald's would be nice at the trailhead."

"The places where trails do not exist are not well marked."

"Too many rocks in the mountains."

"Need more signs to keep area pristine."

* list obtained from www.RinkWorks.com

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

These quotations are actual comments left on Forest Service registration sheets and comment cards by hikers completing wilderness camping trips.*...

+ "Found a smoldering cigarette left by a horse."

Was the horse still coughing?? icon_eek.gif

quote:

These quotations are actual comments left on Forest Service registration sheets and comment cards by hikers completing wilderness camping trips.*...

+ "Found a smoldering cigarette left by a horse."

Was the horse still coughing?? icon_eek.gif

quote:

These quotations are actual comments left on Forest Service registration sheets and comment cards by hikers completing wilderness camping trips.*

+ "Instead of a permit system or regulations, the Forest Service needs to reduce worldwide population growth to limit the number of visitors to wilderness."

That one has merit.

quote:

+ "The places where trails do not exist are not well marked."

Umm...yeah...it's true....

It reminds of a James Gregory bit about his dumb uncle watching Miss Piggy on the Muppet Show...he says "You know...I bet that's not a real pig...."

ApK

I patrol the trails as a volunteer with the USFS and really get a kick out of some of these.

I can remember meeting a gentleman from Boston, he was surpised that there was no "Wildlife" to be seen. Hell there was about 100 hikers on that trail that day. My reply to him was "there is probably more wildlife in South Boston on Friday night" icon_razz.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

I patrol the trails as a volunteer with the USFS and really get a kick out of some of these.

I can remember meeting a gentleman from Boston, he was surpised that there was no "Wildlife" to be seen. Hell there was about 100 hikers on that trail that day. My reply to him was "there is probably more wildlife in South Boston on Friday night" icon_razz.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

We had a lady from NYC who got "lost" icon_eek.gif in the nature preserve I live on in CT. She was quite in a panic even though the area she was in consisted of plowed fields bordered on two sides by town roads. She was scared that the "Coy Dogs" icon_rolleyes.gif were going to leap out and devour her.

My wife and I assured her that if she walked down the driveway back to her car she would be fine.

Chris

We had a lady from NYC who got "lost" icon_eek.gif in the nature preserve I live on in CT. She was quite in a panic even though the area she was in consisted of plowed fields bordered on two sides by town roads. She was scared that the "Coy Dogs" icon_rolleyes.gif were going to leap out and devour her.

My wife and I assured her that if she walked down the driveway back to her car she would be fine.

Chris

I was out fishing one day, when a lady approached me asking if I had some grease or motor oil, after she left I caught the foul scent of skunk in the breeze, after a while I left to investigate, because that lady had been acting strangely. As I approached her, I witnessed her husband crouched down against a very large shaped metal 'bowl' that is used to build bon fires in. There was a skunk with its head stuck in a hole that is used to clean the ashes out. Her husband was pulling on the back legs and tail of that skunk, and that skunk was spraying him like there was no tomorrow. I about died laughing! After that lady about had a fit worrying about the stupid skunk, I finally got her to understand that a lot of skunks carry rabies, and that any park ranger would more than likely just kill yhe skunk. (in this area, there is more than plenty of skunks) I got her to leave, then I humanely put the skunk out of its misery. icon_biggrin.gif

I was out fishing one day, when a lady approached me asking if I had some grease or motor oil, after she left I caught the foul scent of skunk in the breeze, after a while I left to investigate, because that lady had been acting strangely. As I approached her, I witnessed her husband crouched down against a very large shaped metal 'bowl' that is used to build bon fires in. There was a skunk with its head stuck in a hole that is used to clean the ashes out. Her husband was pulling on the back legs and tail of that skunk, and that skunk was spraying him like there was no tomorrow. I about died laughing! After that lady about had a fit worrying about the stupid skunk, I finally got her to understand that a lot of skunks carry rabies, and that any park ranger would more than likely just kill yhe skunk. (in this area, there is more than plenty of skunks) I got her to leave, then I humanely put the skunk out of its misery. icon_biggrin.gif