Magellan Communicator not found error

AutisticMajor

I connected my eXplorist GC to my laptop to download caches, as usual. When I clicked on the Send to GPS button in the map popup the usual window appeared. The problem that the Magellan Communicator plugin is not being recognised. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but nothing changed. Using Firefox beta 22.0.

Hi im having trouble with my explorist 510 magellan as well, I can load a gsak file but it wont recognize the unit for an individual cache load from web site, the load buttons remain grey. I have reloaded program a few times and also wiped caches from unit and loaded only 100 to see if i had an issue with memory. never had an issue till the last 8 hours, help :(:unsure:

Edited by wyrdsister

Hi im having trouble with my explorist 510 magellan as well, I can load a gsak file but it wont recognize the unit for an individual cache load from web site, the load buttons remain grey. I have reloaded program a few times and also wiped caches from unit and loaded only 100 to see if i had an issue with memory. never had an issue till the last 8 hours, help :(:unsure:

I just went and updated the unit, still no change I still cannot load from the site but can load through gsak, it just does not recognise the unit.

Its funny i have two magellan gps and two laptops the issue only occurs on one laptop ive been trying to delete the file so i can start afresh but in control pannel it cant handle it. It works well on the other laptop i have tried deletin and re writing with the latest upgrade but it wont load. I think there is data missing whic h is why it does not detect the gps but with no way to remove it or overwrite it i guess im stuck im calling magellan monday.

What is os.?

OS stands for Operating System.

BTW, Communicator works fine in Chrome.

Fiefox. i spoke to Magellan the unit is on its way back....Not impressed with the customer service....It will be interesting to see if it comes back under warranty its only a Nov purchase. i think ill be looking for another gps at this rate not that I was a huge fan of this one.

It happened to me also....I started having that communicator not found error today when I went to download some more caches....I use firefox. I did uninstall and reinstall and restart a few times. I hope that Firefox posts a fix for this soon because I prefer to use that over IE or Chrome. BTW I did end up using IE to download the caches I needed for the day. BTW using FF 22.0.

Edited by CaliforniaCondor

I Cant download caches to my gps device either (Magellan GC) I tried it in PC both Firefox & Explorer and MAC's OS.

When I click at the "download cache to gps" I cant click on either "check device" or " Download"

"check device" worked ONCE but nothing happend. I have unistalled and installed the program over and over again.

Help me!

Same problems here, and after some searching i've also found the thread on the Mozilla site that says it's a GC.com bug:

When I pop up the window from the "Send to My GPS" button and click the Magellan link, the plugin is not found. Inspecting the source code, I see a problem:

<embed type="application/x-magellan-plugin" width="0" height="0" hidden="true" id="pluginId">

In Firefox 22, an embed that has hidden="true" is completely ignored. I suppose this is to block annoying or dangerous hidden objects, but it seems to be a problem for some legitimate sites, too.

The solution is for geocaching.com to remove this from their template and, if necessary, use another method for hiding the object. For example:

<span style="visibility:hidden"><embed type="application/x-magellan-plugin" width="0" height="0" id="pluginId"></span>

However, that doesn't help you in the short run...

So, am i supposed to downgrade my firefox?

So, am i supposed to use Internerd Exploder?

Or am i supposed to throw this explorist GC out of the window and buy a Garmin? <_<

Fact is, i'm in a hurry. Leaving for vacation in a few days, and i'm running out of time after 3 hours of fiddling. Done a complete firmware upgrade, it was still running on 1.7, but also that didn't change much.

Groundspeak, please change that little thingy in your template!

I submitted a support request for this. Here's the response from Tuesday:

Thank you, I will share this with our developers.

In the meantime, please try a different browser.

Best Regards,

Sara

Community Manager

For security reasons, it would be better not to downgrade to Firefox 21. It's annoying to have to use a second browser just for one site, but in this case, probably the fastest workaround.

I just read another topic where a person was telling another to download pocket queries which will download in a zip file, unzip then drag and drop one file to geocaches and the other to way points. That's 4 steps to put geocaches on my gps.......... That's not happening. I may look like a noob on the site but I'm not, just came back to it after 3 years and didn't have any of these problems with my explorist gc or my garmin gpsmap 62......

Good News: The developers at Mozilla have reversed course and will switch back to <embed hidden="true"> being okay in Firefox 23.

Not as Good News: Firefox 23 is not scheduled for release until August 6th.

Although a beta version of Firefox 23 is available, this update was just submitted earlier this week, so the download on the beta page doesn't yet have the fix. Maybe next week some time.

I connected my eXplorist GC to my laptop to download caches, as usual. When I clicked on the Send to GPS button in the map popup the usual window appeared. The problem that the Magellan Communicator plugin is not being recognised. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but nothing changed. Using Firefox beta 22.0.

Hi - just reporting I had a similar problem, found the cure and now have a new problem.

It started out with the Magellan Explorist 110 not being recognised when downloading to the GPS. The reply I received from Geocaching HQ is:

"Thank you for contacting us. We have identified some compatibility issues between Internet Explorer and Geocaching.com. We are working to address these, but in the meantime you can take some steps to ensure that you have the optimal view of our site through IE.

1. Go to your Tools menu.

2. Click "Compatibility View Settings" and check "Display all Websites in Compatibility View".

3. Click "Close".

Alternatively, you can access Geocaching.com through a different browser, such as Firefox or Chrome."

I changed the compatibility view settings and all is working ok.

My new problem is that I cannot get the GPS unit to load/accept/hold the files. Can anyone help me here?

Hi - just reporting I had a similar problem, found the cure and now have a new problem.

It started out with the Magellan Explorist 110 not being recognised when downloading to the GPS. The reply I received from Geocaching HQ is:

"Thank you for contacting us. We have identified some compatibility issues between Internet Explorer and Geocaching.com. We are working to address these, but in the meantime you can take some steps to ensure that you have the optimal view of our site through IE.

1. Go to your Tools menu.

2. Click "Compatibility View Settings" and check "Display all Websites in Compatibility View".

3. Click "Close".

Alternatively, you can access Geocaching.com through a different browser, such as Firefox or Chrome."

I changed the compatibility view settings and all is working ok.

My new problem is that I cannot get the GPS unit to load/accept/hold the files. Can anyone help me here?

This thread was started about The Magellan Communicator, the software that works with the "send to GPS" button you'd see on a cache page, or as a link when viewing a cache in a map of caches. That's sort of a "one at a time" method for downloading caches. Is that the specific problem, or you can't get it to load/accept/hold the files, period?