Seems like a fitting place

Guest Choberiba

Guest kablooey

So, since we know that steveor lives in Evanston, how far is Evanston from Addison?

Also, oddly enough, my mom was wondering last week, just where does Hasbro live. So, I'm wondering whether you did come to a determination on that. :-)

Guest Choberiba

[Hasbro]

Even though he's been to five of the caches I've hidden, I still felt it was a little odd to include him (her?) since they hadn't posted to the thread.

You did so I did you.

[how far is Evanston from Addison?]

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Actually, it would appear that I'm about 18 miles off at 63°

[This message has been edited by little green men (edited 15 January 1993).]

Guest Markwell

We actually had some fun with this type of talk over on Geodashing. Bunkerdave posed the question "What was the closest random point to your home." To which I gave two sets of coordinates and a general bearing, with distances calculated to 0.01 miles.

I indicated that given those two pieces of information, one could come pretty close to an approximation of my front door. The two radius would, however, intersect in two places - a third set of coordinates and distances would be helpful to narrow down the location. I gave it and also a fourth for redundancy (is any of this starting to sound familiar yet?)

These guys had ariel shots of my home within a matter of hours. These guys are good...

quote:
posted in Geodashing by geogromit

Actually I only original two dashpoints that were closest to your house and I was able to triangulate 2 positions in your area. I did this by converting the coordinates of the dashpoints to UTM and the distances to meters. This made it fairly simple to calculate your position. The point that that I chose appeared to be in the middle of your street. The other appeared near a small lake. I guessed on the northside of your street. From the precision of your distances that you had given, I knew your house should have been within 50 feet of that point. Good work Daniel.

BTW, the aerial photo is from mapblast.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Markwell

But more on topic...

I just calculated my "average position" and discounting my finds in Tennessee and Georgia and including archived caches and my caches. My average is 6.79 miles from my door.

And here's the Twilight-Zone-Like fact: these average coordinates are in the county forest preserve that had the first cache I ever found, only 1.78 miles from the cache's coordinates.

Unfortunately, the cache is archived and the forest preserve now prohibits caching. icon_frown.gif

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest Markwell

But more on topic...

I just calculated my "average position" and discounting my finds in Tennessee and Georgia and including archived caches and my caches. My average is 6.79 miles from my door.

And here's the Twilight-Zone-Like fact: these average coordinates are in the county forest preserve that had the first cache I ever found, only 1.78 miles from the cache's coordinates.

Unfortunately, the cache is archived and the forest preserve now prohibits caching. icon_frown.gif

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest kablooey

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

[Hasbro]

Even though he's been to five of the caches I've hidden, I still felt it was a little odd to include him (her?) since they hadn't posted to the thread.

I guess "they" might be appropriate. Hasbro has one of only two successful logs on my Ichabod Crane cache, and it refers to "we" multiple times.

Guest Markwell

I like this kind of map a little more than the ones you guys are using.

2485_3400.gif

Took me about 10 minutes; but then again, I've got all the data already. Just needed to build the query.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest Markwell

Tiger census online. Same one Jeremy uses to catch the little square map on the cache page.

For quite a while (from December through maybe last week) it's been very touchy about responding.

I sent the census webmaster a very diplomatic e-mail asking what the heck was going on and why this "wonderful tool" wasn't responding.

Two days later, the site responds like a dream. Coincidence? You decide. icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately, the website for the instructions in how to do it is apparently down. But the response of the map from the backdoor is great!

OK People, we tracked Logscaler to his roots. Let's try another. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest Markwell

Tiger census online. Same one Jeremy uses to catch the little square map on the cache page.

For quite a while (from December through maybe last week) it's been very touchy about responding.

I sent the census webmaster a very diplomatic e-mail asking what the heck was going on and why this "wonderful tool" wasn't responding.

Two days later, the site responds like a dream. Coincidence? You decide. icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately, the website for the instructions in how to do it is apparently down. But the response of the map from the backdoor is great!

OK People, we tracked Logscaler to his roots. Let's try another. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest Markwell

p://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/markwellcachemain.htm" TARGET=_blank>My Geocache Page

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 18 January 2002).]

Guest martinp13

You can plot mine, chucking out the east and west coast finds. icon_smile.gif I added another state over the weekend (Arizona)... only one cache, but a GREAT "idea find".

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest martinp13

You can plot mine, chucking out the east and west coast finds. icon_smile.gif I added another state over the weekend (Arizona)... only one cache, but a GREAT "idea find".

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest Ramness570

Thats neat! Can you guess where I live...

------------------

Team Ramness570 Brian, Christine & TabascoX

Senior Member Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

Guest Choberiba

Looks like you're about a mile or two North.

Those crooked looking streets tell me that this is hilly terrain. I'm a flatlander, living where men are men and sheep are nervous.

Guest Ramness570

quote:
Originally posted by blscearce:

Insert pic of atlanta here...

wow! pretty close a little SE of there Thanks for the map I see I went quite out of my one for one hunt...

------------------

Team Ramness570 Brian, Christine & TabascoX

Senior Member Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

Would anybody be willing to plot mine and take a guess

Rough estimate: Near Erie, PA (nothing averaged yet)

quote:

tell me how I could do it myself. I'd love to have a nice map of all the caches I've found. And would be curious where you'd place me.

Check out http://tiger.census.gov/instruct.html for a tutorial on creating your own maps. Drop me an e-mail if you need/want more help/info.

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

quote:

Wow that's really cool. Would anybody be willing to plot mine and take a guess (Choberiba actually may already know) or tell me how I could do it myself.

Yours is very hard because your found caches are spread out so far. But my guesses are:

mikechim-far.gif

mikechim-area.gif

mikechim-closeup.gif

TIGER map service is very useful, but it's only as good as the data that is fed into it.