GPSmap62 doesn't recognize my gpx files

nedinwc

This may have happened after a recent Garmin upgrade download. All of my geocaches and waypoints are in the unit, they show up on Basecamp also. But, when I enter "find geocaches", or pan around the map, it tells me "no geocaches are found, go to geocaching.com, etc" I've never had this problem before, had the unit for quite awhile. Anyone experience this? I really don't want to reformat the thing.

This may have happened after a recent Garmin upgrade download. All of my geocaches and waypoints are in the unit, they show up on Basecamp also. But, when I enter "find geocaches", or pan around the map, it tells me "no geocaches are found, go to geocaching.com, etc" I've never had this problem before, had the unit for quite awhile. Anyone experience this? I really don't want to reformat the thing.

Sounds like the well known but often denied bug with Garmins. Hook it up to your computer, delete the .gpx files, unhook it and reboot it with no files, shut it down and reload your files and reboot. You should be fine now. There is an internal index file that gets corrupted and this procedure will clear the file. This problem is especially noticeable it your reloading caches in a .gpx file with the same name as one already in the unit.

For this reason, I now keep my geocache files on a SD card. I've only had this problem once, but I was able to remove the card, boot up the GPS, replace the card, boot up again and the geocaches showed up. If this happens to you when you're out in the field, you're out of luck if the gpx files are stored on your GPS itself.

For this reason, I now keep my geocache files on a SD card. I've only had this problem once, but I was able to remove the card, boot up the GPS, replace the card, boot up again and the geocaches showed up. If this happens to you when you're out in the field, you're out of luck if the gpx files are stored on your GPS itself.

Standard procedure for all Garmin owners.

It should be, but I don't know if that's an option for folks that use Garmin maps on SD cards.

Are they able to add a GPX folder for storing their GPX files in?

I use OSM maps, so I have the OSM map, a GPX folder, and a POI folder for storing a POI for that other Geo game all on my external SD card.

FWIW, I just upgraded from the Oregon 300 to the Oregon 650, and so far I haven't seen this problem (on the new unit) Also really liking being able to keep tons of caches available. (So far I've been using the GGZ file format because they're supposed to index faster for searching)

Edited by Triple Crown

I have never had the aforementioned problem on either of my units......I connect, delete ALL gpx files, load the new one and done. On both 62S units and my 450 certain gpx files seem to corrupt them and you get a start up screen , then some horiz lines added, then it fades to off.....no cure but a hard re-set...this has happened twice I think.

Both at home and at the hotel when on the road I always start the units a couple of times to be sure they will come on and the caches are there.

Has anyone ever turned on their unit and all was fine, turned it off, then re-started and had the aforementioned problem ??

It should be, but I don't know if that's an option for folks that use Garmin maps on SD cards.

Are they able to add a GPX folder for storing their GPX files in?

I use OSM maps, so I have the OSM map, a GPX folder, and a POI folder for storing a POI for that other Geo game all on my external SD card.

I love this forum....it makes me learn stuff.

I always use CN on Micro SD cards....I just checked and the card is approx. 4 GB with 1 GB free. I copied the GPX file ( with its three sub directories ) to the Garmin folder on the SD card. I put a new GPX file in the SD card Garmin directory and deleted all GPX files on the 62. Started it up and all caches are there.....cool.

Answer = You can put your caches ( GPX files ) on the Micro SD card that your City Nav is on.

Indeed - long standing problem.

Have had my 450 since about the time they were released, and have seen this problem twice. That's not much, since I've probably averaged a fresh *.gpx load at least every other week since then. That said, I always double check to see if I can 'find' a cache on the unit before I leave the house. Nothing worse than getting out there, firing up the unit, and finding exactly zilch.

I have had this problem occur "in the field" after adding a new waypoint for the next stage of a multi. Everything was fine with all geocashes showing, I add a new waypoint, and POOF! all the geocaches are "gone". That is why it is best to keep the GPX files on a SD card if your Garmin has the SD slot. With the files on SD, you can force the index rebuild as described by mineral2. If you have the GPX files in internal memory, you are stuck until you can make a USB connection to a computer. SD cards are cheap, so get one if your Garmin is a model that supports it (which is all of them except the low end models).