Bad News for Geocachers using Minnesota State Parks

The Shadows Know

Geocaching prohibited in the Minnesota State Park system

Due to concerns related to natural resource protection, visitor safety, staff workloads and liability, geocaches are not permitted on lands administered by the Minnesota State Park System. Caches that were placed in state parks without permission must be removed by July 1, 2002. After that time, they will be considered abandoned property.

Sorry to spread the bad news.

I'm not from Minnesota, but I know that contact from the masses will make them rethink and reconsider their stand on this!

I've just sent them an email.

Greetings,

I’ve heard a rumor that effective July 1st 2002 Geocachers will no longer be able to enjoy the family activity on State Parks.

Please tell me that it is just a bad rumor……

Geocaching is a fun, wholesome, family activity that lives by the motto of “Cache In ~ Trash Out” and we do just that. Numerous times my family and I have dragged out bags of trash after and enjoying day of Geocaching. How many other organizations / people do you have that do that?

If it is true, please tell me who we need to contact in order to get this slated for your next State Parks Public Meeting. I know that once you see us and hear our stories you’ll feel more comfortable with Geocaching.

Thanks and God Bless!

Steven McCurry

Good Luck!

~Honest Value Never Fails~

How do we go about getting organized to present to the DNR? How is it that you can drive an ATV in nearly all State Parks but you can't walk to a geocache??????????? Maybe we should take Jesse out on a geocache!!!!

icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Shadows Know:

_Geocaching prohibited in the Minnesota State Park system_

Due to concerns related to natural resource protection, visitor safety, staff workloads and liability, geocaches are not permitted on lands administered by the Minnesota State Park System. Caches that were placed in state parks without permission must be removed by July 1, 2002. After that time, they will be considered abandoned property.

"I ain't got time to bleed!" icon_mad.gif

How do we go about getting organized to present to the DNR? How is it that you can drive an ATV in nearly all State Parks but you can't walk to a geocache??????????? Maybe we should take Jesse out on a geocache!!!!

icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Shadows Know:

_Geocaching prohibited in the Minnesota State Park system_

"I ain't got time to bleed!" icon_mad.gif

Dear Governor,

Recently my family and I discovered a new sport called Geocaching.

www.geocaching.com

Basically it is treasure hunting with a Global Positioning System (gps). Since starting this pastime in May we have visited 5 city parks and 1 county park that we had never been to. We loved the Carver Park so much we supported them with the purchase of a yearly pass.

It has come to my attention that the DNR has now declared GeoCaching illegal in Minnesota State Parks. I'm a little confused as to why the DNR would restrict an activity that is environmentally friendly and encourages people to visit parks?

How do I know it is environmentally sound?

1. Geocachers walk. Geocaches are 99% of the time placed, along hiking trails. Most of the parks where caches are hidden don't allow any motor vehicles at all.

2. Geocachers pick up trash while geocaching. Geocaching is a fun, wholesome, family activity that lives by the motto of “Cache In ~ Trash Out” .

3. There is not a steady stream of people tramping off trail. I have yet to see another geocacher on any of my families outings. In fact, many of the geocaches are visited less than once per month.

I'm not sure how it is that you can drive an ATV off trail in most State forests yet I can't walk into the woods to look for a small Tupperware. Furthermore, why was there no public discussion on this?

I encourage you to:

1. Visit the website and find out what it is all about.

2. Get a GPS and go on your first geocache. (Or, call me and I'll take ya')

3. Talk with the DNR and at least ask them to open a public discussion on this matter.

Thank you,

"I ain't got time to bleed!"

[img [/img]]http://205.215.150.10/sigimage.jpg][/img]

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJohnson63:

Do you have a name and address? Let's mass mail the bastards at the DNR.

DNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Road

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

Telephone: (651) 296-6157 or (888) MINNDNR

TTY: (651) 296-5484 or (800) 657-3929

email: info@dnr.state.mn.us

I really like the letter redruff wrote to send to the DNR, if it is alright with redruff, maybe we should all use his letter as a template for writing our own to send to the contacts below. I'd suggest using the redruff letter and personalizing it with your own thoughts and feelings regarding this issue.

Write or e-mail ALL the legislators, not just your own - volume of mail has a big impact on these folks. Some will take a little extra work because of the e-mail system they have chosen to use - get ready to do some copy and paste!

Also, It would be a good idea to contact your local media and try to interest them to write a story on this.

Here is all the contact info I could find:

Minnesota State Senators contact information:

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/members/alphalist.shtml

I suggest that everyone make it a point to email Senator Dick Day, he seems to be a senator that hates stupid government rules and regulations. (He is the senator that led the charge on the ramp meter changes in the Twins Cities. Interesting because he is from southern Minnesota).

Minnesota State Representatives contact information: (The link to the list of Representative seems to be broken, so this link will get you to the House web site):

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/

Contact information for the DNR Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner:

Allen Garber, Commissioner

Phone: (651) 296-2549

Steve Morse, Deputy Commissioner

Phone: (651) 296-2540

Fax: (651) 296-4799

Address:

DNR

500 Lafayette Road

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

Here is the general information for the DNR central offices:

DNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Road

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

DNR Central Office hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Closed holidays

Here are the local office addresses for the regional DNR offices:

Northwestern Minnesota Regional Office

2115 Birchmont Beach Road NE, Bemidji, MN 56601

(218) 755-3955; fax (218) 755-4024

Northeastern Minnesota Regional Office

1201 East Highway 2 , Grand Rapids, MN 55744

(218) 327-4455; fax (218) 327-4263

Central Minnesota Regional Office

1601 Minnesota Drive, Brainerd, MN 56401

(218) 828-2561; fax (218) 828-2439

Southwest Minnesota Regional Office

261 Highway 15 South, New Ulm, MN 56073

(507) 359-6000; fax (507) 359-6018

Southeast Minnesota Regional Office

2300 Silver Creek Road NE, Rochester, MN 55906

(507) 285-7420; fax (507) 285-7144

Metro Area Regional Office

1200 Warner Road, St. Paul, MN 55106

(651) 772-7990; fax (651) 772-7977

icon_mad.gif

I really like the letter redruff wrote to send to the DNR, if it is alright with redruff, maybe we should all use his letter as a template for writing our own to send to the contacts below. I'd suggest using the redruff letter and personalizing it with your own thoughts and feelings regarding this issue.

Write or e-mail ALL the legislators, not just your own - volume of mail has a big impact on these folks. Some will take a little extra work because of the e-mail system they have chosen to use - get ready to do some copy and paste!

Also, It would be a good idea to contact your local media and try to interest them to write a story on this.

Here is all the contact info I could find:

Minnesota State Senators contact information:

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/members/alphalist.shtml

I suggest that everyone make it a point to email Senator Dick Day, he seems to be a senator that hates stupid government rules and regulations. (He is the senator that led the charge on the ramp meter changes in the Twins Cities. Interesting because he is from southern Minnesota).

Minnesota State Representatives contact information: (The link to the list of Representative seems to be broken, so this link will get you to the House web site):

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/

Contact information for the DNR Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner:

Allen Garber, Commissioner

Phone: (651) 296-2549

Steve Morse, Deputy Commissioner

Phone: (651) 296-2540

Fax: (651) 296-4799

Address:

DNR

500 Lafayette Road

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

Here is the general information for the DNR central offices:

DNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Road

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

DNR Central Office hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Closed holidays

Here are the local office addresses for the regional DNR offices:

Northwestern Minnesota Regional Office

2115 Birchmont Beach Road NE, Bemidji, MN 56601

(218) 755-3955; fax (218) 755-4024

Northeastern Minnesota Regional Office

1201 East Highway 2 , Grand Rapids, MN 55744

(218) 327-4455; fax (218) 327-4263

Central Minnesota Regional Office

1601 Minnesota Drive, Brainerd, MN 56401

(218) 828-2561; fax (218) 828-2439

Southwest Minnesota Regional Office

261 Highway 15 South, New Ulm, MN 56073

(507) 359-6000; fax (507) 359-6018

Southeast Minnesota Regional Office

2300 Silver Creek Road NE, Rochester, MN 55906

(507) 285-7420; fax (507) 285-7144

Metro Area Regional Office

1200 Warner Road, St. Paul, MN 55106

(651) 772-7990; fax (651) 772-7977

icon_mad.gif

I was recently disapointed to learn that Caching is considered Littering by the Parks Dpt.

When I asked why, I was told that the Parks people Maintain their trail systems and prefer to have their visitors stay on them. They said that Cachers have a tendency to wonder off the trail in search of their prize. They create a disterbence to plant and Wild life. At first I was saddened by this information but after finding myself in the bush once or twice, I have come to understand.

When I think about it now, I am not at all bothered.

Infact, I appreaciate it. What I love most about Caching is the discovery of a new place I most likely would otherwise never have found.

I was recently disappointed to learn that the Parks Dpt. considers Caching Littering.

When I asked why, I was told that the DNR maintains their trail systems and publish maps of them, They prefer to have their visitors stay on them. They said that Cachers have a tendency to wonder off the trail in search of their prize. In doing so they create a disturbance to plant and Wild life.

At first I was saddened by this information but after finding myself in the bush once or twice, I have come to understand.

When I think about it now, I am not at all bothered.

Infact, I appreciate it. What I love most about Caching is the discovery of places that are not marked on Maps.

My point is that there are lots of great wild places on public lands. The State Parks are designated wilderness spaces that the public has access to. There is a difference.

I am sorry to hear about the lack of understanding of our sport from YOUR representatives. We are fairly new to this, having just started this April. In a way I can understand their concern since I have seen caches placed in really good locations but were easy to find since all you had to do was follow the obviously new path. I learned from this and place my caches on or near exsisting trails/animal paths. I wish all of you total success in your attempts to educate the powers to be but I would suggest that rather than a cut and paste e-mail you take the basic theme and deliver by USPS your concerns. This comes from a discussion I had with one of my senators as to what method carries the most weight and is most likely to be read. Hands down it is the old-fashioned, hand written, stamped letter since it shows true committment to your cause. Also, you might want to add to your logs the amount of trash you carry out, i.e. we packed out 1/2 bag of trash, etc. Best of luck and keep the faith.

WeBeFour

quote:
My point is that there are lots of great wild places on public lands. The State Parks are designated wilderness spaces that the public has access to. There is a difference.

I don't think that state parks are wilderness areas. I believe that only certain national parks carry that designation.

I do think that I understand what you're trying to get at here, but in my view, and from what I've read from the geocachers on this site, is that most geocachers try to respect the environment they are in and try to improve it by picking up the trash left behind by other park visitors.

I know on our trek this past Saturday, my son and I climbed out on several rock formations overhanging the river to pick-up the beer cans left behind by someone else and in full sight of any passers-by. We also picked up enough other beer cans, plastic bottles and other litter to fill the largest compartment in our backpack. I know this had to improved the view of nature for both other hikers and for the kayakers going down the river.

The cache we found on Saturday was placed on November 20, 2001 in a park somewhat near Duluth. From reading the cache log it looked to me that perhaps 15 people had found the cache in the seven plus months since it was placed, and a few of those were non-cachers that stumbled upon it during their "off-path" use of the park.

With other park users leaving cans, plastic bottles and once lit cigarette butts all over, I hardly see how my son and I, and 10 or so other geocachers, participated in an activity that was damaging to the park.

It's true, but only short term while they try to figure it, and us, out. Stay on thie and they will change their position.

Here's the letter I received.

We appreciate your interest, and must confirm that the rumor is true.

Over time, we will continue to consider and reconsider geo-caching in parks. There are many aspects of the sport that seem very appealing and appropriate for state parks. At this time, though, we are concerned about some aspects of the activity, related to our responsibilities for resource protection and public safety, that we feel would require policy and on-the-ground attention to resolve. We are simply unable to deal with those issues in the short term. Budget problems and other pressing issues preclude us adding this work load now. We feel that the responsible thing for us to do, is to not allow the caching until we see if the issues can be resolved and until we have adequate time and funds to responsibly manage the activity in a way that is consistent with our mission. In the mean time, please keep in mind that state parks are only about 250,000 acres of the millions of acres of public land in the state of Minnesota. There are many places that geo-caching may be pursued and enjoyed, while we deal with our pressing issues and then determine if, and how, we may participate in the sport in the future.

Hammer On!

Dawgies

Yeah, our Trout Trot was confiscated. However, we went down to the park to retrieve the cache and had a great talk with the park manager. It's all about education, folks. icon_smile.gif

Topic: "Illegal" caches in Minnesota

Geocaches In MN State Parks - Illegal

Topic: Geocaching in Minnesota! Will it be allowed to continue??

quote:
How do we go about getting organized to present to the DNR?

We are working on this, visit GEM for more info!

The picnic is July 27th if you haven't heard!

My geojournal: Bump On A Log

Yeah, our Trout Trot was confiscated. However, we went down to the park to retrieve the cache and had a great talk with the park manager. It's all about education, folks. icon_smile.gif

Topic: "Illegal" caches in Minnesota

Geocaches In MN State Parks - Illegal

Topic: Geocaching in Minnesota! Will it be allowed to continue??

quote:
How do we go about getting organized to present to the DNR?

We are working on this, visit GEM for more info!

The picnic is July 27th if you haven't heard!

My geojournal: Bump On A Log

Just a short correction. In the past it would have been correct to USPS your concerns, but after a couple of calls I found out that, given recent events, only e-mail, fax and phone correspondance will be accepted. All USPS letters will be rejected. Sort of amazing to know that we have all been directly affected by history. WOW.

For those of us not living in Minnesota, how does this ban effect our prospects for geocaching in Minnesota?

Let's speak with our pocketbooks by telling the tourism board about changing our plans to come geocaching in Minnesota.

I'm writing to the Minnesota Board of Tourism

http://www.exploreminnesota.com/index.asp

I'm asking them if my bike and fishing boat are welcome, why isn't my GPS?

If that seems a bit negative, then just ask them about geocaching activities for tourists in Minnesota.

Super Cacher!

Something else you can do, is on your way out of the park, drop your trash off with the park ranger as a gift from us the Geocachers of America who really care about this land of ours. In addition, remind them that it is our land, and my Great Great grandfather, great grandfather, grandfather, and my father said so. They are the one that continue to make it this way, our land. My kids and I pick up trash on the way in and on the way out, if anyone ask we just tell them we are just doing our part at keeping America clean, but please don’t stop us from having fun as a family this is our time together.

You may not be aware of this but the State of Minnesota has banned geocaching in their State parks. Any geocaches found will be removed. Please discourage your members to refrain from placing them in any MN state parks. It creates extra work for an all ready over stretched staff. Not only in removing the caches but in undoing the damage that the people placing and searching for them do to the area. We have trails for a reason we want people to walk on them not off of them. When people place a geocache off of a trail they mey be doing so in a sensitive area causing damage to fragile plants or the surrounding area. In the park where I work we have a problem with erosion and with people walking all over off of trails they damage the ground cover that has been placed in areas to help prevent erosion. Also it is a safety issue. We have the trails so that people walk in areas that are safe for them to walk. Not through poison Ivy or other plants. Or along unstable riverbanks or rock formations. We know our parks and yes the state owns them so in a sense they are your land, but we have been hired to protect and preserve that land so if we feel that something is detrimental then maybe it is and you should go a long with the experts that we have working in our State Park System. I think the whole geocaching idea is great but do it where it is aloud and do it safely. Also we don't know what people will put in the caches, it seems to me that it is a great place to plant dangerous things. So please help us in discouraging people from placing caches in our State Parks.

JayCookeStaff

1.Anybody reading this thread already knows that the parks have banned Geocaching.

2.You are not a Jay Cooke Park staffer or any park official.

I know this because your logs are totally unprofessional and your grammer and spelling are barely high school level. Park rangers need a college degree.

On the other hand, maybe I'm wrong and you're the maintenance guy who empties the garbage cans, in which case you shouldn't be presenting yourself as a park official. You really give them a bad name with your unprofessional posts. If they find out you are doing this, they will become very angry with you and will probably kick you very hard in the arse the next time you bend over to pick up a cigarette butt.

But in reality, you are most likely some snotnosed 16 year old, who gets mostly D's in HS English and you're getting a good laugh over all the people here who are taking you seriously.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

As someone mentioned above, education is the key. Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department has a very different view on caching in state parks. Check out these threads.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000973683&m=7430970925

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000973683&m=1650902274

I can't believe Minnesota would just ban the activity without having had a bad experience with a cache. Remember, it only takes one bad geocacher to ruin the fun for the 99.9% of the folks that are doing it right.

Talk to your park managers. Take them out on a cache and show them what it's all about. Document a cache site with a digital camera-from before the cache was placed throughout a 2 or 3 month period to show that in most cases the effect on the environment is minimal or none.

Keep the faith. I'm sure if enough people will get involved, you can get this decision turned around.

For those of you who followed "JayCookeStaff"'s rants about the evils of off-trail activity and how that isn't allowed in state parks: I present an intersting little article.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/outdoors/3817376.htm

The article doesn't state the date of the competition, but from eroom's comments on August 3 at 'Cooke's Cache' (GC194D)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6477

I think we can figure it out what day this was...

My question for the geocaching community & the State Park officals who sanctioned this event is this:

What is the difference between this sport and a geocache?

My answer:

Geocache = 15 - 30 visits per year based on a typical cache. People generally taking their time and respecting the environment.

'Rogaining' = 24 visits in a single day, with people "Butt-Sliding" through the 'sensitive environment'

Which do you think causes more damage

Yesterday, I created a timeline of visits to “Cooke’s Cache” in the past year. I wasn’t sure why I was doing it, but it really illustrates how little traffic a cache in this state park actually receives.

Cooke's Cache timeline

This event did take place on August 3rd. There was a tent at the parking lot with a “Minnesota Orienteering Club” banner attached to it.

No action that The People’s Republic of Minnesota takes will ever surprise me.

From the article:

quote:
That time was spent running along trails, pushing through thick vegetation, wading along streambeds, humping up some steep slopes and butt-sliding down others.

quote:
...it has a lot in common with the fast-growing sport of adventure racing, in which teams trek, bike or paddle for hours or sometimes days over a wilderness course. Both activities usually involve a lot of bashing through the woods, off trail and up and down hills, getting wet, dirty, cold, hot, hungry or thirsty.

( emphasis mine. sounds kinda fun... except for the bashing part icon_wink.gif ) Thanks for the link, Team VE, 'tis very interesting indeed. Nice job, MN state parks, you really have it together.

Our confiscated cache Trout Trot from F/MC State Park was hidden on September 8, 2001. It was found THREE times between then and May 7, 2002 when it was removed! THREE!!

I am going to forward this story to the head ranger that I spoke with there (we had a great conversation, btw) just as an FYI.

Butt-Sliding. *shakes head*

From the article:

quote:
That time was spent running along trails, pushing through thick vegetation, wading along streambeds, humping up some steep slopes and butt-sliding down others.

quote:
...it has a lot in common with the fast-growing sport of adventure racing, in which teams trek, bike or paddle for hours or sometimes days over a wilderness course. Both activities usually involve a lot of bashing through the woods, off trail and up and down hills, getting wet, dirty, cold, hot, hungry or thirsty.

( emphasis mine. sounds kinda fun... except for the bashing part icon_wink.gif ) Thanks for the link, Team VE, 'tis very interesting indeed. Nice job, MN state parks, you really have it together.

Our confiscated cache Trout Trot from F/MC State Park was hidden on September 8, 2001. It was found THREE times between then and May 7, 2002 when it was removed! THREE!!

I am going to forward this story to the head ranger that I spoke with there (we had a great conversation, btw) just as an FYI.

Butt-Sliding. *shakes head*

But ROGAINE has nifty words like "Eco-trek" and it originates from an "Eco-friendly" place like Australia, where everyone runs around in khaki shorts trying to pull crocodiles out of barbed wire fences. Plus, it doesn't use scary devices that I don't understand like a GPSr. It uses a compass, maps, and Reebok running shoes! How could this sport be bad!?!?!? icon_confused.gif

By the way, have you ever sthe kind of "Eco" damage a horse can do when it goes off of the trail (or "goes" on the trail for that matter). It happens planty. Sometimes, the rider provokes it by having the horse bounce around in an open field. Ummmmmmm.... They still have horse trails, right?

It's a game folks..........

But ROGAINE has nifty words like "Eco-trek" and it originates from an "Eco-friendly" place like Australia, where everyone runs around in khaki shorts trying to pull crocodiles out of barbed wire fences. Plus, it doesn't use scary devices that I don't understand like a GPSr. It uses a compass, maps, and Reebok running shoes! How could this sport be bad!?!?!? icon_confused.gif

By the way, have you ever sthe kind of "Eco" damage a horse can do when it goes off of the trail (or "goes" on the trail for that matter). It happens planty. Sometimes, the rider provokes it by having the horse bounce around in an open field. Ummmmmmm.... They still have horse trails, right?

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

By the way, have you ever seen the kind of "Eco" damage a horse can do when it goes off of the trail (or "goes" on the trail for that matter). It happens plenty. Sometimes, the rider provokes it by having the horse bounce around in an open field. Ummmmmmm.... They still have horse trails, right?

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

By the way, have you ever seen the kind of "Eco" damage a horse can do when it goes off of the trail (or "goes" on the trail for that matter). It happens plenty. Sometimes, the rider provokes it by having the horse bounce around in an open field. Ummmmmmm.... They still have horse trails, right?

Our states decision makers were too busy, investing our states resources evaluating the impact of "rogaining" or off trail orienteering on the state parks. Hmmmm, what were the reasons for banning geocaching, impact on sensitive areas, safety, and what else? Well this is just great, I am glad that some new activities are welcome, I am sure the state park system won't miss the revenue if we geocachers go elsewhere. Attention Minnesota Geocachers!!! I am starting a new thread, Lets figure out, collectively, the monetary contribution that geocachers have made to the state park system.

This is CRAZY the state parks are for the people and the MNDNR is making a big mistake! There are millions of us geocachers! less & less will come if you take that aspect away! Lets massmail those bureaucrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things have changed at the Minnesota parks. This thread is seven years old.