What is your signature item?

Hosscatt

We take a wood burner and burn our name year and some shape or saying in a wooden nickel or shaped wood disc Time consuming but Im sure someone gets some enjoyment out of finding them like we do.

Side note why are the P words(path tags) in the same category as the ones whose name cannot be spoken(Lord Voldemort) ooops

Edited by sasqwatches

I have found and traded for some very cool signature items, but only occasionally make and drop something with my own name on it. One special item I found was a Team Eggbert Sculpey similar to the one that had been posted in the forums Gallery of Hand Made...thread in 2009. It was in in the now archived River View geocache on June 7, 2011.

Not all of the handmade items have geocaching names on them. Occasionally I ask in my cache log and learn who made the item; sadly, others remain a mystery.

I leave custom printed guitar picks that have my caching name and "geocaching.com" printed on them. They aren't quite as personalized as something handmade, but they are easy to carry, can be put into almost any cache, and useful. They are also handy to pass out to muggles when explaining the game.

Like niraD, I make tokens out of polymer clay. I use a canework technique to get about 30 or so slices of any given design, and with the number of designs I've made, I can usually leave something different at each cache I find on a given day. The picture below shows some, but by no means all, of my sig items. I typically sign them with a fine-point Sharpie, but sometimes I'll work my name into the design.

a155f7e5-aa20-4a6f-b53f-dfceea766d1b.jpg?rnd=0.291907

Edited by Anonymike7

These are my signature items. I call them artcoins. On the reverse of each one is a QR code that takes you to a larger photo of the artwork along with my personal commentary about what I think is important and inspiring about the art. The web site for all of the artcoins is here. I'd like to know what you think. I'm open to trades, if anyone's interested.

artcoinsspreadnarrowsminverted_zpsaf89f6b4.jpg

artcoinssamplesminverted_zps32beb545.jpg

Very nice guys, these are all awesome! Anonymike I particulary like the watermelon :D

Beauxeault those are so cool, what are the coins made out of?

Thank you, Hosscatt. I've wondered how they would come across.

The round ones are printed round labels on fender washers (fender washers have small holes relative to the overall diameter), glazed with a clearcoat. The square ones are printed paper glued to square bathroom tiles, and also clearcoated.

We take a wood burner and burn our name year and some shape or saying in a wooden nickel or shaped wood disc Time consuming but Im sure someone gets some enjoyment out of finding them like we do.

Side note why are the P words(path tags) in the same category as the ones whose name cannot be spoken(Lord Voldemort) ooops

I do the same thing, I wood burn tokens with the geocaching logo on one side and a dove on the other side.

Serious question: What is intended to happen with your signature items after you place them? Are people supposed to trade them, or are they intended to stay in the cache and/or be a gift to the cache owner? Pure curiosity on my part as I've never had a signature item, other than leaving my signature* on the log.

*not actually my signature.

These are my signature items. I call them artcoins. On the reverse of each one is a QR code that takes you to a larger photo of the artwork along with my personal commentary about what I think is important and inspiring about the art. The web site for all of the artcoins is here. I'd like to know what you think. I'm open to trades, if anyone's interested.

Very interesting concept! Astronomy has always been a hobby of mine. I could modify this concept to teach people about planets or the stars. Way cool!

Very interesting concept! Astronomy has always been a hobby of mine. I could modify this concept to teach people about planets or the stars. Way cool!

StarCoins! I'd sure be happy to find one of those in a cache. Let me know if/when you make some.

Here's ours.... three views

They are the large old British pennies ... (not valuable) .... that I get by the dozen for a few dollars at a local coin shop after he's gone over them to make sure there aren't any valuable ones in there. I seal them in the coin pouches with scotch tape so they and the card stay in. Have gotten a few good comments in found it logs about them, and once I found one in a cache quite a ways from home. The coins are just slightly smaller than an average geocoin. The next vatch of cards I print up will have the geocaching.com url on them

Front

100_7333.jpg

Back

100_7334.jpg

Folded for travel

100_7335.jpg

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Cool!

I heard about Geocaching on 3/8, became a Premium member on 3/10. I've been loading cache info on my GPS and maintain a Word document with information ...

I'd never thought about a personalized signature item, but looking at yours, I have to see what the QR app on my Android phone does about creating QR codes. A personalized QR code that comes back to my Geocache profile would be a great signature item.

13176182363_00bd0659c1.jpg

I leave clear glass gems with spider-related hand-drawn & colored pictures attached to the back. (My user name, Anansi, is the name of a West African mythology trickster character who takes the shape of a spider. I LOVE spiders.) Mod Podge seals the paper to the glass and protects against water.

I leave clear glass gems with spider-related hand-drawn & colored pictures attached to the back. (My user name, Anansi, is the name of a West African mythology trickster character who takes the shape of a spider. I LOVE spiders.) Mod Podge seals the paper to the glass and protects against water.

Cute. I especially like that you drew the spiders. Very personalized.

Wow, a lot of you have some very beautiful items :) I really like the colorful ones! I would like to make my own when I find the time, but being a picky person it will be difficult for me. My partner and I have been putting out rubber ducks signed by us that we won from claw machines, another hobby we have hehe xD

My sister in law gave me some vinyl cutouts specifically to put on such glass gems. What is cool is that in additional to a compass and GC symbol, it also includes star wars figures like stormtroopers. Obviously she knows about geocaching since her husband goes out as well.

When I don't use these, I usually leave a plastic snake (live in AZ so appropriate)

Hi! Geocacher from Australia. I think my topic is along these lines...I'm quite new to geocaching, but I was wondering if anyone leaves business cards? Just with something like, geocacher name, how long have they been geocaching and where they are from?

I don't, but am from Australia too. I think some people leave cards not as swag but as an alternative to signing the log. This has its pros and cons - on one hand they can leave evidence of their find even if the log is full or damaged, but on the other hand the cards just accumulate in older caches and bury trade items.

Generally I leave marbles but have currently run out of the signature item I used to leave and need to make more.

Edited by storchburp

Marbles are a really good idea :-)!

I used to leave a little zip bag with one large marble (a "shooter") and 5-7 small marbles, with a little card with our family's sig on it saying that sometimes we lose our marbles finding caches. I thought it was super cool and clever until I hauled a handful of them on a hiking trip. Marbles are HEAVY! :blink:

Dinky2014 and I are still trying to figure this one out. Originally, we were using 2014 pennies, as we started this hobby this year, but we understand that "most" people will simply see a penny, and not even check the year. We also want something that isn't going to be considered junk. There is a user here who uses half a cork bottle top with the letters "KD" on it. We like that, but don't want to copy.

I have been leaving hand made "monkeys fist" key chains for the past year. My uncle, who inspired a lot of my love for outdoors, taught me to make them 25 years ago on a camping trip. But I am toying with the idea of custom button pins. I have found a few and I like to put them on my backpack. Seems like something functional or decorative is the way to go. I usually only trade out foreign coins, but I try and leave my sig stuff, if the container is big enough (and nice enough to keep water and critters out)

See my avatar? It's my trackable sig item that can NOT be discussed in these forums, but many geocachers use them as SWAG to leave in caches.

Is it because your trackable item is a confederate flag? A flag which pretty much didn't resurface after the Civil War until 1956, when it was used to protest integration in schools after Brown v Board of Education? Because I can see why people would be pretty upset about finding a symbol like that in an otherwise-innocuous GeoCache.

Anyway, I leave brain-teasers. Little metal puzzles you have to take apart/ put back together. I have a lot of small ones (<1 inch in diameter) and they stay together until someone figures 'em out. But most of the time, I don't take anything and don't leave anything.