Garmin GPSmap 62 - Will not stay on!

Hello,

I am hoping somebody can help me, we have a Garmin GPSmap 62 which we've had for about 2 years, everything has been great until last weekend when it randomly turned off, we were at the end of our walk so we just thought the batteries had died, when I got home and put new batteries in it would turn on but the loading bar didn't appear and then after 30 second it turns off.

I have been onto the Garmin forum and can see a few other people have had the problem, there were many helpful tips but I cannot do any of them as the device will not stay of for long enough! I have tried a reset (power on while holding menu and enter) but I managed to get the option up twice the first time it wouldn't let me arrow up and the second it turned off before I could confirm the reset! I have also tried plugging it into the computer but that doesn't work and I would update the software but my computer cannot find because it is turned off.

I am really hoping somebody can help because we are planned a camping trip this weekend and really want to do some caching! Any help or comments would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Leah

You can try to force it into USB mass storage mode. (If you have a card in- remove it)

1) Press and Hold the "UP" arrow on the 4-way button

2) Attach the 62 to your PC via the USB cable while Continuing to Press "UP"

3) Continue to Hold Down the "UP" button for about 30 sec while the 62 boots

4) The 62 should enter USB mode

If you get that far you can use WebUpdater to force a firmware install that may get you going again. You could also remove any files that may be causing problems, too.

Try an unprompted master reset -- hold OUT, MENU, and QUIT while powering on. The screen should flash white and the unit will reboot. If you've held down the buttons for 15 seconds and nothing has happened, the release them and look for the white screen flash to verify that it worked.

Thank you very much ... it worked! Hopefully this means it will carry on working and we can do some geocaching the weekend :-)

You can try to force it into USB mass storage mode. (If you have a card in- remove it)

1) Press and Hold the "UP" arrow on the 4-way button

2) Attach the 62 to your PC via the USB cable while Continuing to Press "UP"

3) Continue to Hold Down the "UP" button for about 30 sec while the 62 boots

4) The 62 should enter USB mode

If you get that far you can use WebUpdater to force a firmware install that may get you going again. You could also remove any files that may be causing problems, too.