Ice On Caches?

Bjorn74

Anyone else run into this recently?

One of the caches I visited today i did not find. However, the clues and the coordinates pointed right at a tree with a split stump and a tell-tale pile of leaves and sticks. (Certain signs of a cache) We tried like the dickens to move the sticks and pieces of bark, but they were held in place by about four inches of surrounding ice and it seemed that after they had soaked up ample water in the last thaw, they froze solid around the cache and into the stump of the tree. It was odd, I'll tell you. There's no way that these sticks, leaves and pieces of bark could make their way to that place, so, I'm convinced that we had the right place.

I found one very similiar last weekend. I looked inside a hollow base of a tree and all I saw was brown gunk and leaves. It turned out that sap and stuff had leached into the water which then dripped onto the cache container and froze. It almost looked like cave formations on top of the cache container. Mix in just enough leaves and I thought it was just a brown lump of gunk. I actually had to pry it loose from the ice and then carefully step on the container to break the ice off it before I could get it opened. All the ice had brown goo in it that came off on my hands. I was happy to pack that one back inside and leave it behind.

one of those disposable warmers wrapped in a small towel and put on top of the cache container?

Seriously, they do generate a lot of heat, the packet I have states 107 degrees F. for 6 hrs. if you leave it exposed to air it can get up to 165 degrees F. icon_eek.gif

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no over here......no over here.