BUG: waypoints with hidden coordinates not included in Pocket Query

Pontiac_CZ

cache: Cyklovylet v Chribech (GC5RYGX)

12 public waypoints with hidden coordinates are omitted in the GPX created by a Pocket Query for this cache, only two waypoints with listed coordinates are included.

http://coord.info/GC5RYGX

There may be "12 waypoints", but only the parking and the first set should be in a pq, no?

From what I can see, you need to visit locations and solve some stuff in order to obtain the coordinates for each stage, and then for the final. I didn't do an attempt at translating the cache page, but that much was obvious.

But I did use Google Translate for this paragraph:

All information is given in wayponitech. The route begins and ends at the cell. On the route you will be looking at 12 stops, the formed small fives, which you can find clues to catch finálky. Stage1 to find the first indication of "A" by plugging into the formula is (see WP). This gives you coordinate further stage, and so you continue to STAGE12 where you will find the latest indication of "L". After embrace the whole route will take you back to the cell where you can still count the actual store scrapers (see WP FINAL LOCATION)

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

cache: Cyklovylet v Chribech (GC5RYGX)

12 public waypoints with hidden coordinates are omitted in the GPX created by a Pocket Query for this cache, only two waypoints with listed coordinates are included.

Except for the cache's owner that is exactly as it is supposed to be. The coordinates are hidden, but the waypoint information is public.

There are three kinds of waypoints:

1) public waypoints

2) still public, only the coordinates are hidden

3) hidden waypoints, available only to the cache owner

Type 3) apparently cannot be included in the GPX, but this cache has 12 wpts of type 2) - they're available to anyone, shown on the cache page. They're just missing in the Pocket Query's GPX.

GC.Live sends them correctly with zeroed coordinates, but this bug report is about Pocket Query.

I understand his complaint. Each of the intermediate waypoints was constructed so as to show most of the coordinate data, with the user filling in the odd numbers here and there. Without all of those waypoints, the user doesn't have the 'puzzles' to fill in. It's an odd construction, and COs usually provide that kind of info in the description, but the form as it is shown seems to be legitimate. Unless the information is printed before going into the field, the user must have all of the 'published' intermediate waypoint data to complete the series and find the cache.

Look at the cache page.

GC.Live sends them correctly with zeroed coordinates, but this bug report is about Pocket Query.

I just do not think that it is a bug, but intended in the way it is. You should rather have named your thread "feature request" as apparently you would like the GPX files to contain dummy waypoints (with zero coordinates) for such

waypoints in the GPX file. However other caches might not like to receive such waypoints. So probably there would not need to be a button to choose.

Not sure what you mean by "other caches might not like to receive such waypoints". Caches have waypoints owner assigned them and user expects to see them in their PDA/phone. Due to omitting this info in Pocket Query he experiences an inconsistency: he sees these waypoints on the website's cache page but not in the portable device. And he's in trouble - the waypoints notes contain formulas and hints for every particular stage.

A note to the mentioned cache: you are supposed to find a box with a number on every stage and calculate coordinates of the following stage.

Edited by Pontiac_CZ

Not sure what you mean by "other caches might not like to receive such waypoints".

Sorry, I made a typo. Cachers not caches.

Such waypoints with zero coordinates might cause a mess on certain GPS units and so might not be appreciated by every cacher. For users of apps it's a different story.

A note to the mentioned cache: you are supposed to find a box with a number on every stage and calculate coordinates of the following stage.

Yes, I have been aware of that from the very beginning.

I do not think that it is a clever solution to write the text only in the waypoint section and not have it part of the cache description. That's the fault of the cache owner.

Not sure what you mean by "other caches might not like to receive such waypoints".

Sorry, I made a typo. Cachers not caches.

Such waypoints with zero coordinates might cause a mess on certain GPS units and so might not be appreciated by every cacher. For users of apps it's a different story.

Yes, I have been aware of that from the very beginning.

I do not think that it is a clever solution to write the text only in the waypoint section and not have it part of the cache description. That's the fault of the cache owner.

I think you and others are misinterpreting the cache page. In order to find a wp other than the first one you have to take a number from the current location, put it into a formula and that gives the next location. I have done many multi's like that. If he didn't do that then people could just ignore the first 11 locations and go to the final directly. Kind of defeats the purpose of a multi don't you think.

It is not a mistake to hide them it is how you do multi's.

There's nothing wrong with the listing. I imported this cache into GDAK (android app) and see all waypoints. Not the coordinates though but the info how to calculate them.

hidden_WP.jpg

This is exactly how things are supposed to be.

I'm sure that when I export this cache from GSAK to my Oregon600 these WPs + description will be available with coordinates at N 0 00.000 E 0 00.000

on4bam: yep, the listing is alright. You used GC.Live to import the cache into GDAK, right? As I say in post #5, this works correctly. If you used GPX you would experience what I am talking about.

cezanne: well, I understand your argument about certain GPSrs which might not deal with waypoints with hidden coords. That is likely the reason behind this... There could be an option implemented in the settings whether to export wpts with hidden coordinates into GPX file or not.

Anyway, I'll stick with GC.Live and refrain from using Pocket Queries anymore. I was just unpleasantly suprised by absence of these "blind" waypoints.

And about the cache listing - I actually like it like this without being cluttered with info about waypoints, that's what waypoints notes are for. As I say, no problem now that I know it was caused by using Pocket Queries.

Edited by Pontiac_CZ

on4bam: yep, the listing is alright. You used GC.Live to import the cache into GDAK, right? As I say in post #5, this works correctly. If you used GPX you would experience what I am talking about.

I never use GPX files except the weekly PQs to keep my database up to date. Before we go on a caching trip I refresh the selected caches via the API and then grab images (all in GSAK). Then ik use a macro to export to the Oregon 600 and copy database + images to GDAK.

Never missed a WP B)

As noted above, this sort of thing is NORMALLY managed in the Long Description. The construction of this particular cache page is rather unique. I can understand why the OP wishes that the additional points appeared in the wpts.gpx file as part of the PQ. It's just not something you normally see in a cache listing.

As noted above, this sort of thing is NORMALLY managed in the Long Description. The construction of this particular cache page is rather unique. I can understand why the OP wishes that the additional points appeared in the wpts.gpx file as part of the PQ. It's just not something you normally see in a cache listing.

I've encountered it occasionally around here. I suspect it may be more common in some areas than others.

Personally, the concept is fine with me, and I would certainly expect the waypoints to show up in a GPX with zeroed coords. However, if historically they never have, then changing it now might cause some confusion.

(And changes to GPX formats/contents are exceedingly unlikely now that the API is here, for better or for worse.)