Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Report a problem) - February 8, 2017

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - February 8, 2017

With this release, we have added the ability to Report a Problem with a geocache. Here’s how it works:

iPhone

•  

• Go to the cache details page in the Geocaching® app.
  • Tap the ellipsis (...) at the top right of the screen.
  • Select Report a Problem.
  • Choose Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived and provide necessary details.
  • Click Post and a Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived log is added to the cache page.
  • Return to the cache page to compose any other logs about your experience.

Android

•  

• Tap the menu icon at the top right of the screen.
  • Click Post and a Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived log is added to the cache page.
  • Return to the cache page to compose any other logs about your experience.

In the iPhone version, we have fixed an issue to improve download speeds of lists when saving them for offline use to make planning your geocaching adventures easier.

In addition, the app is now localized for the Croatian community!

We also fixed bugs and made other small improvements.

Ben H. from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

Great! :)

Any hope of also getting the Owner Maintenance log type in before you shut down the old app?

That's about the only thing I use the app for, so I really hope you can add that log type as well :)

In the classic app it was possible to turn on the "Apply Ignore List" so caches on that list did not appear. Will it be possible to do this on the new version?

We are working on ways to incorporate cache owner logs and to respect ignore lists created on the web.

Since the new app was such a poor app I have barely used it. I didn't realize it did not have a "Needs Maintance" or "Needs Archiving" choice.

Wow, the new app is worse than I thought.

Well, that was constructive.

While I am disappointed the new app is not yet at least as functional as the "classic" app, I appreciate the efforts to continue to improve the new app.

Thanks. It will now allow me to hide my finds and my owned caches. It would be great to hide those on the ignore list too.

Are you saying that finds and/or owned caches still appear on the app's map when you check-mark the "Hide my Finds" and/or "Hide my Caches" options in the app's Filter settings? Those settings are working for me (Android), although I do have to click on the magnifying glass and then back to the map for the settings to work after making a change to the filters. Are you using iOS or Android?

Thanks for adding the NM/NA log types! It's great to see incremental improvements to the app.

We also fixed bugs and made other small improvements.

A couple things I noticed that are small, but appreciated:

-- Searching by GC code now pre-populates the "GC" prefix, so we don't have to type that portion of the code every time.

-- The expanded cache description defaults to "web view" instead of "standard view".

Looking forward to future releases and improvements. :)

Thanks. It will now allow me to hide my finds and my owned caches. It would be great to hide those on the ignore list too.

Are you saying that finds and/or owned caches still appear on the app's map when you check-mark the "Hide my Finds" and/or "Hide my Caches" options in the app's Filter settings? Those settings are working for me (Android), although I do have to click on the magnifying glass and then back to the map for the settings to work after making a change to the filters. Are you using iOS or Android?

No. I am able to turn off my finds and owned caches, just not those on the ignore list. iOS 10

Edited by Chaircity

No. I am able to turn off my finds and owned caches, just not those on the ignore list. iOS 10

Ahh, my apologies. I read "not" instead of "now". Was too late in the day for me to be reading these forums. :blink:

• Tap the ellipsis (...) at the top right of the screen.

While I find it great that these logs types are now available in the app, I fear that they'll be just as unused as when they weren't available at all due to their location.

When this version of the app became available, I saw in the App Store description that these logs had been added, so I updated and went to try it out (without the benefit of the description above). It took me a minute or two of poking around until I found where they could be used, and that's even with knowing that they were in there somewhere. For someone who doesn't know that these log types are even an option, I expect they won't find them.

The natural place to expect these log types would be with the other log types. My suggestion would be to move the "Report a Problem" section to be a sub-selection under "Log Geocache". That is, you would tap the "Log Geocache" button at the bottom, and the options presented would be "Found it", "Did Not Find", "Write Note", and "Report a Problem". Tapping on "Report a Problem" would then give the additional options of "Needs Maintenance" and "Needs Archived".

A second suggestion I'd like to make is regarding the text explaining each of the new log types. Currently, there's some very faint text in the text input field explaining what content to enter, but this can easily be missed/ignored, leading to spurious NM/NA logs. My suggestion is that when someone taps on the NM or NA options, a message box is displayed with a warning about the intended usage of the log type, which then has to be dismissed before you can start entering any text. This will be far more likely to be heeded because it's more "in your face" and has to be actively dismissed before the log can be created. Ideally, this warning should be displayed every time, not just on the first usage, because these log types usually aren't used very often and the user can easily forget about their proper, intended usage. Having this reminder would help educate members to the proper methods for reporting issues with caches.

Still on my "wish list" the "Field Notes" option that existed in the old app.

If you do a trail it is marvelous to make a field note at every find and then upload the notes and edit the logs later on when ever you have time.

I know we can do it in the Garmin (Oregon)but it only works well if you download the caches into the Garmin from a pocket query or "send to my GPS"

Lot of extra work before going into the field. And once you save a log it is impossible to edit it again.

With the old app you just loaded the caches nearby and added a fieldnote for every find.

I realy hope we get this before the old app is stopped.!!

Still on my "wish list" the "Field Notes" option that existed in the old app.

If you do a trail it is marvelous to make a field note at every find and then upload the notes and edit the logs later on when ever you have time.

I know we can do it in the Garmin (Oregon)but it only works well if you download the caches into the Garmin from a pocket query or "send to my GPS"

Lot of extra work before going into the field. And once you save a log it is impossible to edit it again.

With the old app you just loaded the caches nearby and added a fieldnote for every find.

I realy hope we get this before the old app is stopped.!!

This is coming in our next release which will indeed be ready before the classic app is retired.

Hi, not sure if I missed a previous blog on this topic concerning the new ap. It seems to me all logs must be posted immediately - there is no 'save for later' as in the old ap. I used the Save for Later a lot - esp for a virtual or earth cache when I had to email answers to the CO. Am I missing it?

Hi, not sure if I missed a previous blog on this topic concerning the new ap. It seems to me all logs must be posted immediately - there is no 'save for later' as in the old ap. I used the Save for Later a lot - esp for a virtual or earth cache when I had to email answers to the CO. Am I missing it?

We'll be adding similar functionality in our next release, which is coming very soon.

Hi,

Could all of the search options of the advanced search from the website be included as filters in the app?

This would make it possible, for example, to look for challenge caches, which is currently only possible on the website by filtering for the word challenge in the geocache name.