Premium Membership Promotion

LFC4eva

I've seen a few posts on Facebook recently from Premium members who have let their membership lapse being offered a promotional rate of 50% discount on renewing their membership

"as a thankyou of your support of Geocaching as a purchaser of the Classic App"

and another tonight which says

"Groundspeak Premium accounts provides the basic members the promo price: 14,99 € (the first year).

The offer is valid until 23 April 2017. Users whose premium account expires in the next two months can also benefit from this promotional offer.

Note: if you're a premium member this link will go to the page of geocaching.com. Only the basic members will be able to take advantage of this offer and correctly access the link below.

A Premium account has access to more features, more geocaches and more adventure. Since messages, filtering of basic and advanced research, new notifications of caches, statistics, advanced caches along a route, Pocket Queries, favorite points to be allocated, lists of caches and other types of maps.

Hope good geocaching to tod@s!

https://payments.geocaching.com/promotion/spring2017"

Is this offer going to be extended to your loyal supporters who also purchased the classic app - which you're now retiring - and whose auto renewal falls outside of the next two months?

Hi,

I am a premium member, and my account expires on 04/26/2017.

I have tried to renew the subscription to take advantage of the promotion, but I get this message:

"" You are already a Premium member. The promotion you're trying to access is for non-premium members only ""

Has anyone in my same situation managed to use the promotion?

Thank you.

Greetings.

omortsoN

jt6mvl.jpg

Hi,

I have tried to renew the subscription to take advantage of the promotion, but I get this message:

"" You are already a Premium member. The promotion you're trying to access is for non-premium members only ""

Thank you.

Greetings.

omortsoN

The offer does seem to be straightforward.

Just for the heck of it, I clicked on and got the same.

Like you, I'm still a premium member so can't take advantage of "adding on" my membership at a reduce rate.

Your date just misses this promotion.

Maybe there'll be others when weather warms up a bit. :)

The subscription people have been known to "jump the gun" when it comes to renewal dates. Last summer, my wife and I were on vacation IN EUROPE, and I received an email telling me my premium membership was going to end in a couple weeks if I didn't renew. I'd have been home before the actual cutoff date, so I didn't think much about it. The next day, I was going to hit a couple caches, and discovered my premium membership had already been terminated. Emails were exchanged, but I never did get a satisfactory answer as to what happened. "This is how we do it" is apparently their default answer. I had to renew my premium membership right then and there, if I wanted to use the features, even though my cutoff date was still a couple weeks away. And when I did renew, I found I had indeed been terminated - I got a "Welcome to Premium Membership" form letter email.

So try again when you're near the end of the reduced price period, and see what happens.

I've seen a few posts on Facebook recently from Premium members who have let their membership lapse being offered a promotional rate of 50% discount on renewing their membership

"Groundspeak Premium accounts provides the basic members the promo price: 14,99 € (the first year).

The offer is valid until 23 April 2017. Users whose premium account expires in the next two months can also benefit from this promotional offer.

Note: if you're a premium member this link will go to the page of geocaching.com. Only the basic members will be able to take advantage of this offer and correctly access the link below.

A Premium account has access to more features, more geocaches and more adventure. Since messages, filtering of basic and advanced research, new notifications of caches, statistics, advanced caches along a route, Pocket Queries, favorite points to be allocated, lists of caches and other types of maps.

Is this offer going to be extended to your loyal supporters who also purchased the classic app - which you're now retiring - and whose auto renewal falls outside of the next two months?

Users whose premium account expires in the next two months can also benefit from this promotional offer.

Only the basic members will be able to take advantage of this offer

These two statements sound directly contradictory to me. Does it mean that if a premium member makes their account expire, (not easy to do with the auto-renewal feature) thus becoming a basic member, they can take advantage of the offer?

My membership expires 4/20 less than a month and I can't get the promotion. Are they lying to us?

Edited by rustynails.

My membership expires 4/20 less than a month and I can't get the promotion. Are they lying to us?

Don't know why you'd think like that...

If that's your date, you can't even access the promotion until your membership expires on the 20th.

It does say, "Users whose premium account expires in the next two months can also benefit from this promotional offer".

If you didn't cancel and still have auto-renew, I'd think an email to the Help Center kinda quick would be a good place to ask how they plan on going about it.

If you did cancel auto-renew, that gives you a couple days. :)

Hi,

Thank you.

Greetings.

omortsoN

jt6mvl.jpg

This is the reason I keep having to switch from satellite to cable and back every two years or so.

This is the reason I keep having to switch from satellite to cable and back every two years or so.

Off topic, but if you tell yuor provider you are thinking of switching when your contract is up, they may throw a deal your way so you don't even have to switch.

On topic, I see no reason to let my premium membership lapse. After all, if I do, then I might lose my secret platinum perks, uh, I mean, miss my pocket queries.

Edited by hzoi

I just want to weigh in that I think this is a mistake on Geocaching HQ's part... Rewarding people who let their premium membership lapse or new geocacers instead of people that have been paying $30 for premium membership for years? Seems very unfair

This is a common practice in the marketing world. I'm sure you've seen ads for things like "20% off for the first year" for things like cell phone contracts, TV subscriptions, and a wide variety of online subscriptions. It's their way of trying to draw in new customers.

If that's your date, you can't even access the promotion until your membership expires on the 20th.

It does say, "Users whose premium account expires in the next two months can also benefit from this promotional offer".

If you didn't cancel and still have auto-renew, I'd think an email to the Help Center kinda quick would be a good place to ask how they plan on going about it.

Last weekend I sent a email with the above promotion to the help center. They deny offering it as it's written above. Here's their response.

"Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ."

"That is not the copy that was sent out. the offer is only available to current Basic members who used the classic app."

"Best regards,"

Sounds like future basic members will not get the promotion. Letting your premium membership expire won't do it.

Well, then how do premium members benefit from this?

Edited by rustynails.

Last weekend I sent a email with the above promotion to the help center. They deny offering it as it's written above. Here's their response.

"Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ."

"That is not the copy that was sent out. the offer is only available to current Basic members who used the classic app."

"Best regards,"

Sounds like future basic members will not get the promotion. Letting your premium membership expire won't do it.

Well, then how do premium members benefit from this?

That is not true. My boyfriend's premium membership lapsed a few days ago and I used a promotion link to renew his membership for $15 instead of $30

I let my PMO lapse (again and intentionally) and received the aforementioned offer.

Which I declined.

In fact, I would not pay one cent for a membership as I don't feel that my expectations have been met in regards to a service for which I pay.

I've been patient over the years but all the progress I have seen has not been in a direction I can support.

It is probably fair to say the tipping point was the app.

Unfortunately this is affecting the local community (fractionally) in that I am also actively archiving my hides wherever possible.

I feel like a goof, like I am being taken advantage of, by creating and maintaining content of a quality that is not reflected in the service that hosts it.

Ive been a member since 2003 and paid for the classic app. I don't recall getting any loyalty benefits / offers. Maybe I got an offer but it either went to spam or I forgot seeing it...

True - being premium gives me a few benefits.

But loyalty bought me didly...

Member since before you and also paid for the app. I didn't pony up my first $30 for the benefits back in 2002. My doing so was to help keep a small website going. The benefits got a bit better as time went by but my main objective was to do my share to help with our hobby. I used to always promote premium membership but i no longer do that. Diddly is the correct word to use in describing what loyalty gets you from Groundspeak, but like others have mentioned, this is the norm with most companies. Although i didn't use it much, i did pay for the classic app and it definitely irritated me when it was taken away without any regard to my paying for it.

As far as caching is concerned, i've slowed to a crawl. I have a little over a month to decide what to do with my membership.

Unfortunately this is affecting the local community (fractionally) in that I am also actively archiving my hides wherever possible.

I haven't been a premium member for a while as I don't geocache so much. I still maintain 20 caches. I it's annoying that I maintain caches I can't even 'see' as it were. I almost fell for the 50% offer, but except for the agreement to auto-renew for ever at whatever price they set. Like you, I may begin to archive my caches in protest.

I haven't been a premium member for a while as I don't geocache so much. I still maintain 20 caches. I it's annoying that I maintain caches I can't even 'see' as it were. I almost fell for the 50% offer, but except for the agreement to auto-renew for ever at whatever price they set. Like you, I may begin to archive my caches in protest.

Archiving as a protest action will have no affect at all on TPTB. All it will do is spoil it for others who would like to be finding them. You're only hurting other players. If that's the way you feel take your bat and ball and go.

• Upvote 1
On 17.3.2017 at 5:10 PM, Ltljon said:

This sounds like most cell phone companies. If you've been a good continuous customer for 15 years there's no perks for you but walk in off the street & get 3 new iphones, unlimited data & a 50% less monthly bill than I do!! :blink:

That's why you should change your provider regularly, since you can keep your old phone number. Bad news is that Groundspeak has a monopoly.

ETA: Sorry, didn't notice this was a resurrected thread.

Edited by Rebore