Geocaching Forums: List and waypoint export utility now available for Geocaching Classic iPhone App - Geocaching Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

List and waypoint export utility now available for Geocaching Classic iPhone App

#1 User is offline   Kckd 

• Geocacher
  • Group: Lackeys

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hi all,

One concern that has come up with the announcement of the retiring of the Classic App is that locally created lists and user waypoints cannot be exported. In my spare time I've been working on a solution for this and I'm happy to announce the availability of a tool to export your lists and waypoints from an iTunes backup of your device. This tool is available for both Mac and Windows. It is important to note that this tool is unofficial and not formally supported by Geocaching HQ. Please do not email support with questions about this tool as they will not be able to help you. Having said that, I will attempt to help if I can.

Instructions are available here.

Please read and follow the instructions carefully because it requires you to use iTunes to create an unencrypted backup of your phone on your computer.

The tool itself is available for download here.

The exporter works by reading the Classic app data from the backup and uploading the data via the Geocaching API. This will make lists available on Geocaching.com and the Geocaching® iPhone App. User waypoints are not currently viewable on Geocaching.com but they will be automatically downloaded and viewable on the Geocaching® iPhone App. Note that exporting large numbers of waypoints will take some time due to API limitations.

I hope this helps to ease the transition for people who have build up large numbers of lists and waypoints on the Classic app. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Casey

#2 User is offline   Giddy Up GeO 

• Premium Member
  • Group: +Premium Members

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

I can't seem to get the list to export. It gets to a certain point and then says it's not responding. I've lots of list in the 'old' paid for app.. have lots handwritten to put into Cachly, but time is running out.
Any help?

#3 User is offline   redbullfinch 

• Premium Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

I downloaded the app. I selected waypoints (is there a way to select all?). The estimated time for download was 19+ minutes. It stated that it was exporting but showed no indication of progress e.g a progress bar, diminishing tie remaining, etc. After about 35-40 minutes i checked the new app. I t looked like some waypouts had been downloaded. But at least some of the multi-caches that I had multiple waypoints saved only had one waypoint transferred, Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ray

#4 User is offline   _Wynn 

• Premium Member

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

For me, it only exported one waypoint for each geocache. Not too helpful for multis.
I would also love to see a Select All option.

#5 User is offline   redbullfinch 

• Premium Member

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

I did get it to load everything by breaking it up into smaller batches. But like Wynn, it only loads one waypoint. Time is running out; I think many hours of searching for multiple stages will have been in vain. I think I'll end up starting over on several multis.

#6 User is offline   Mr.Garibaldi 

• Premium Member

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

Hi Casey, Many Thanks for the tool to download waypoints off the classic app. I Folowed all your instructions but although the lists were said to be transferred they did not show up in my lists on geocaching.com Any advice or fix that you know. Thanks in advance.

Mr.Garibaldi

View PostKckd, on 10 March 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

Hi all,

One concern that has come up with the announcement of the retiring of the Classic App is that locally created lists and user waypoints cannot be exported. In my spare time I've been working on a solution for this and I'm happy to announce the availability of a tool to export your lists and waypoints from an iTunes backup of your device. This tool is available for both Mac and Windows. It is important to note that this tool is unofficial and not formally supported by Geocaching HQ. Please do not email support with questions about this tool as they will not be able to help you. Having said that, I will attempt to help if I can.

Instructions are available here.

Please read and follow the instructions carefully because it requires you to use iTunes to create an unencrypted backup of your phone on your computer.

The tool itself is available for download here.

The exporter works by reading the Classic app data from the backup and uploading the data via the Geocaching API. This will make lists available on Geocaching.com and the Geocaching® iPhone App. User waypoints are not currently viewable on Geocaching.com but they will be automatically downloaded and viewable on the Geocaching® iPhone App. Note that exporting large numbers of waypoints will take some time due to API limitations.

I hope this helps to ease the transition for people who have build up large numbers of lists and waypoints on the Classic app. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Casey

#7 User is offline   Coffeelover1264 

• Premium Member

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for developing this tool. I've been trying to use it and while I was able to make a backup of my Iphone through Itunes, when I try to use the app I get the message " Unable to find iTunes backup folder. You must make an unencrypted backup of your device using iTunes before running this application." I have made a backup and I can see it with today's date on my computer. Why can't this app find it? Thanks.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic