The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

does anybody have any clue what has been happening to some of the travel bugs in the area. I know of four different bugs that have completely dissapeared. at least two of them have logs in the logbook saying that somebody called The Travelers picked them up. But no logs were ever made on-line. Does anybody have any other information or know of other missing bugs or ever heard of anybody calling themselves the Travelers????

quote:
Originally posted by Night Hunter:

... at least two of them have logs in the logbook saying that somebody called The Travelers picked them up.

So of the missing four, two WERE signed out? but not the other two? (im asking because if the same people are nabbing TBs on purpose why would they sign 2 but not the other two? That just doesnt make sense to me.)

Can i ask which bugs are missing? (if they only disappeared recently maybe, whoever took them just hasnt gotten the time yet.)

FYI- the only "Travelers" i could find are from TX. And have only logged five caches, but those were in Two states, so maybe he/she/they (as the case may be) do travel a lot, and havent gotten home yet.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

LaurieAnn2 is missing from Frogs on a Mission.

Traveling Tommy is missing from Crystal Tower Cache.

Clifford - Let's Go Tubin' is missing from Stairmaster.

Sailor Bear is missing from Old Camp Elliot.

Sailor Bear has since been reported to the owners who grabbed it to remove it from the cache it dissapeared from. It must still be missing since it hasn't moved since.

I only know of the two incidents of The Travelers logging in the logbook that they took Sailor Bear and LaurieAnne2. I read in an on-line log that somebody else saw the log in the logbook, and I don't know about the others. They may have signed them out and nobody reported it. And I still have yet to find those caches so I haven't checked the actual logbook. The Bugs have been missing since as long ago as February, but most went missing around June/July

quote:

LaurieAnn2 is missing from Frogs on a Mission.

Traveling Tommy is missing from Crystal Tower Cache.

Clifford - Let's Go Tubin' is missing from Stairmaster.

Sailor Bear is missing from Old Camp Elliot.

quote:
I only know of the two incidents of The Travelers logging in the logbook that they took Sailor Bear and LaurieAnne2. I read in an on-line log that somebody else saw the log in the logbook

Usmorrows left a note from Team Taskmaster, (on Sailor Bear's TB page) that said Sailor Bear had been "taken by The Searchers. So two were taken by The Searchers not The Travelers? icon_confused.gif

quote:
From the Sailor Bears Page

Note from usmorrows:

Team Taskmaster asked us to leave this note.

Upon reaching the cache (Old Camp Elliott) today, we thought Sailor Bear had gone AWOL, but a quick check of the log revealed he celebrated Independence Day in his own unique style by catching a lift down the mountain with The Searchers. We were sorry to have missed him but wish him the best of luck in his journey.

[Note: I tried to enter this on the travel bug page, but since I don't have the tracking number, I could not. Since you started him on the way, I thought you might be able to leave a note so others do not go there looking for him. Thanks. CB from Team Taskmaster (San Diego, CA).]

quote:
The Bugs have been missing since as long ago as February, but most went missing around June/July

Well, that throws the "maybe they're just busy" idea out the window. icon_frown.gif

SO - Back to the get-together

I was considering trying to get something organized for after the first of the year, and figured it doesn't take a whole lot of effort -

- Everything BYO.

- Setup a cache for the group to find (and I would assume the more intricate the better, with so many minds to put in effort!)

- Get a good location, and post an Event cache for that date.

and you're done! (I Think.)

I'm sure someone will point out how simplistic this is....and this doesn't count all the inevitable 'But I'm not open that weekend! How about back a week/forward a week?' messages. icon_wink.gif

Can it be this easy? If so, gimme a few block out dates - right now, I like Jan. 18th. Thoughts?

Earl, Ringmaster

The Adams Family Circus

Dr._H_Resourcepage.htm

yea, sounds easy. Jan 18th sounds cool so far.

But something else to think about. With the superbowl in town this year, we may have a few extra geocachers in town (or we may not) if we did it on Sat., Jan 25th, Super Bowl Weekend. Of course I don't know how many people make other plans for the whole weekend. I know I only make plans for the Sunday itslef.

Hey, what am I - the thread police?! icon_smile.gif

Anyway - good point on the SuperBowl. Jan 25th it is.

Now to work on WHERE...Personally, I like Kit Carson park in Escondido: free parking, kid and per friendly (for the most part) and two good caches by Parsa and daughter Lua in the immediate vicinity. Mission Bay also is a thought - it shouldn't be crowded, for one thing, although probably colder.

Earl, Ringmaster

The Adams Family Circus

Dr._H_Resourcepage.htm

My first thought was that Escondido is sooooooo far north. buth then again, nywhere in the county will have somebody that has to travel a ways to get there. Besideds that, Carivercpl from Corona has already expressed an interest in coming down. So Escondido probally would work as well as anyplace else.

I can't help but notice that this thread has been view almost 175 times. I think some other people should speak up too. Or else do you think it will be just me and you, Earl, Mr. Ringmaster???? icon_confused.gif

Also at the last get together Gumby and Pokey were there from the Norco area, as were some folks from Orange county. If my memory is correct I believe there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 cachers at Miramar.

Although I don't have a dog, lets make the area dog friendly for the four legged cachers as well.

Tag Along and I should both be able to make it whereever it is.

All who look are not lost

Advised my SWMBO (Nimmie, Lion Tamer of the Circus) and was told in no uncertain terms that I was having a 'Male' moment, and had been advised weeks ago to block out the 24th-26th for some kind of surprise trip.

My apologies for those of you circling your calendar dates!

So - howza'bout that January 18th?? icon_rolleyes.gif

And don't worry - once the word starts getting around, I'm sure we'll have a group there.

Lessee - We've got a date (right??! RIGHT!), we've got a place (got to verify the pet-friendly part, but the Humane society used to be right there - how unfriendly could it be?!)...what's left?

The Event cache, of course. I'll try to verify the pet part, and get the event cache setup by the weekend. That's a month warning, roughly...

Earl, Ringmaster

The Adams Family Circus

Dr._H_Resourcepage.htm

Like vagabond said there was about 40 of us there we came down from corona and we would love to come down for this one...There will be 3 two legged cachers and 1 fourlegged...and hopefully this time the misses wont have cast on!!!ooo by the way the last one we went to was kind of like a pot luck...just an idea...

Does anybody plan on hiking up to the Cowles Mountain Observatry on Sat. Dec 21st to watch the sunrise? I was planning on going up. Hopefully the sunrise will be visible i heard it's supposed to rain on Friday. I was going to grab Team Geckos new cache while there.

If anybody is planning on going, maybe we could meet at the Parking lot at about 6 AM and have a little hiking party.

Anybody ever done it? How many people ususally go up?

quote:

My first thought was that Escondido is sooooooo far north. buth then again, nywhere in the county will have somebody that has to travel a ways to get there. Besideds that, Carivercpl from Corona has already expressed an interest in coming down. So Escondido probally would work as well as anyplace else.

The Inland Empire has many active cachers who would want to go. I have an idea for an event, and if work has me miss it, I have others who would do it for me.

By the way, how about Temecula, it's even closer for us 'Cachers del Norte'

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

quote:

I just found out I am being forced into a business trip for the month of January. I will not be able to attend any type of gathering until February. icon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

But look at the bright side, you'll probly get a chance to geocache in... um, where did you say you were going? icon_wink.gif

quote:

Yeah, check it out yourself. There are a whole 2 caches in Ajo, AZ. Man, I better pace myself.

Heck, there's a new cache just 50 miles from there, plus 1 of the 2 has a new bug that's never been moved and needs your help. If you drive, there's plenty on the way there as well.

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

Just checked out this thread. February would be better for me too. My wife and I just bought a house and will be very busy with our move next month.

Since this is a San Diego thread, I'm going to take this opportunity to vent. I attached a geocoin to a TB tag and placed it in the "Ammunition Sgt Cox!" cache by Parsa. Someone removed my geocoin from the TB tag and replaced it with another item! That is MESSED UP! I'm hoping that it wasn't a local cacher who did this...

quote:
Originally posted by Latitude 32:

Since this is a San Diego thread, I'm going to take this opportunity to vent. I attached a geocoin to a TB tag and placed it in the "Ammunition Sgt Cox!" cache by Parsa. Someone removed my geocoin from the TB tag and replaced it with another item! That is MESSED UP! I'm hoping that it wasn't a local cacher who did this...

Whoever it was earned themselves a shinny new geocoin i hope icon_biggrin.gif, at least the tag didnt come up missing too icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

quote:

That is messed up. There are places you can get a geo-coin. There is no need to go messing up somebody elses Travel Bug. If we all went around changeing travel bugs as we saw fit, most of the bugs would not even fit the descriptions, and there would be a lot of McDonald's Toy Travel Bugs. Latitude, I am on your side, you were wronged.

I was wondering if it would be possible, after all this discussion, to move it to Saturday the 1st of Feb. instead, that way us Churchgoers can attend too. Any chance of that happening?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...he asked on bended knee.

We've been trying to get a Gathering going in OC for a while and it never shaped up and we really want to meet some of the "locals" even if it has to be all the way down there.

GeoBoltz

I ASSUMED (i know the joke, yes) that Feb 2nd WAS a Saturday. The last thing I want to do is discourage attendance (our Hebrew and Seventh Day Adventist Cachers I'll have to offer apologies to - we can't have it mid-week, so SOMEONE will wind up offended).

Feb 1st.

Kit Carson Park in Escondido.

Pot Luck.

Animals on Leashes.

Got it? icon_biggrin.gif

Now....I gotta get the event cache put up. I'll try to do it this weekend (I know, I said that LAST weekend - but If I'd done it THEN, I'd be revising it having found out it was scheduled on a Sunday).

So - Tell your friends, tell your enemies, but don't make the Circus stand in the Park alone. icon_cool.gif

Earl, RingMaster

The Adams Family Circus

Dr._H_Resourcepage.htm