So how do you recognise a fellow cacher???

gruntfuttock

We visited a cache yesterday (Anna's Rock) to find that two other visits had been made already that day. The second log (M1EYO) said he had met Caws on the way down. How did they recognise one another? Is there a special secret sign I don't know about, or do you wear a badge? I'm interested to know!

Gruntfuttock

________________________________________________________________________________________

All across the nation, there's a strange vibration

People in motion

There's a whole generation, with a new explanation

People in motion, people in motion....

icon_smile.gifOh you can always tell, due in part to some telltale signs.....

1) Shifty looking families all acting like they have nothing whatsoever to do with the tupperware container at their feet..

2) People with GPS's slung casually over their necks like Chinese tourists...

3) People staring intently at dog 'eared pieces of A4 with geocaching printed across the top....

And the best one....

4) Well just why would anyone else be in this godforsaken area of swamp in the back end of Basingstoke unless they were hunting for a tupperware box...... (Catch Cromwells Jump Jump Cache.) icon_wink.gif

Several ways... and without having to resort to reconising the rattle of McToys in thier bag!

The average 'cacher is probably more likey to be checking the GPSr than the average equally equipped walker. Add to that the fact that we often have the cache page in our paws and can be found waliking in straight lines instead of nearby paths. We have been to a few events, so we'd recognise some anyway... and if it was a hard cache to find we'd just have to go back and laugh at them trying to find it! Also, we and some others wear/carry caching gear... in our case GAGB andd HCC Event badges on our bag, in others T-shirts and Hats.

We've only met fellow cachers whilst at or near events... but we did see some leaving a cache site once in the distance... we weren't sure they were caches until we read their log.

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

We popped by one of our favourite pubs on Saturday which 'just happens' to be near one our caches so we thought a quick 'maintenance' visit would be in order. However, just on pulling up, we noticed a family disembarking from a 4*4 in front of us 'armed' with the clipboard and GPSr...... ho hum...onward we went.

As an aside, Nattybooska recognises fellow cachers because they appear at the front door armed with baseball-bats !! icon_smile.gif

Andy and Dawn

(Wiltshire's contribution to the chaos theory)

quote:
Originally posted by NattyBooshka:

...and if it was a hard cache to find we'd just have to go back and laugh at them trying to find it!

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

Or meet them whilst on a maintenance visit, let them get 4 inches from the cache before making them think it's elsewhere and THEN spend an hour laughing at them!!

Evil!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I found it eventually though! icon_razz.gif

Cheers!

Seasider

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction!

Thanks for that, I thought I was missing something.

Personally I prefer to be incognito, by marking the cache on the OS map and getting as close as possible before swithing the GPSr on. Also it's a good test of map and compass skills.

ps I meant to get to the end pf summer event, but completely forgot about it. Looking forward to meeting you all at the next one.

quote:
Originally posted by Gruntfuttock:

ps I meant to get to the end pf summer event, but completely forgot about it. Looking forward to meeting you all at the next one.

An we look forward to meeting you too. Don't be too shy if you do bump into one of us while our on the hunt - it does happen from time to time!

Happy to be member of GAGB and grateful user of GeocacheUK