Virtual Cache in the Falkland Islands

Hi I am at present serving down here in the Falklands and wondered what the feeling would be to setting up a virtual cache down here for people who visit the island? It would not be on MOD property so anyone could log it.

Would it be a 1 for terain and 5 for difficulty?

Please let me know your thoughts.

If the concensus of opinion would be against the idea then fair enough.

Thought it only fair to ask first

I don't think it should be a 5 for difficulty. With any cache, some people live near it and others don't. Rate it from the point of view of a Falklander.

Generally a virtual has a difficulty of 1, because once you're there it's easy.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the approval guidelines for virtuals. You can find them here. Scroll down to Virtuals.

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

Just a thought - perhaps while you're there you could introduce a few Falklanders to geocaching.

Bill

Oh don't be so cruel... icon_biggrin.gif

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

A couple of potention problems spring to mind.

Firstly, the rules disallow 'vacation caches', including virtuals it seems. Depending on how long you're going to be there this may be an issue.

Secondly, you're not supposed to 'place' a virtual anywhere that you could have placed a physical cache, so you'll have to pick your spot carefully.

Hopefully these won't prove major stumbling blocks for you, but they seemed worth mentioning.

SimonG.org - now with added blog!

quote:
Originally posted by The Monkhouse Family:

Hi thanks Simon for pionting out these 2 rules. However I am strictly not on vacation down here and thought it would be something of a 'feather in the cap' if people in the same situation as myself could log an unusual cache.

Oh well worth a try.

Seems like a good idea to me. The only query I would have is about the safety of areas off the beaten track. I guess a fair amount of the Islands is clear of Ordnance from the conflict by now, but its worth bearing in mind. Experience suggests that people will approach the site from every conceivable angle whatever the clues you give.

Mark

I dunno: maybe we could get a group discount with EasyJet or similar, or even charter a flight ourselves! I'm sure a few of us would be up for it, just to find a couple extra caches! We're all dedicated enough, right guys? ...Guys? ...Hello?

Neutiquam erro.

quote:
Pharisee's Signiture:

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

icon_biggrin.gif In the daylight maybe.....but in the dark you need your wits about you.

I have actually always wanted to go to the Falklands myself....out of interest, what is Port Stanley like? what sort of monuments or view points are there there? and whats the weather like.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Bad, I'm Bad you know it you know! mikejackson1-vi.gif

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Sue & Bernie:

Thinking about it, introducing the locals to geocaching would be cruel - where would they go to find other caches?

Sue & Bernie

The people I met while in the Falklands traveled far more than you would think. I lot of them worked on the sheep stations and saved their money to go around the world. When they ran out they came back and started again.

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.