from my Garmin using Easy GPS, but nothing is working. I'm not sure how to

set up everything so that they talk to each other properly. The Keyspan is

shown in Windows Device Manager to be on the COM3 port, but when I choose

COM3 in EasyGPS's preferences I get a message that no connection can be

found (and yes, the Garmin is on at the time). Virtual PC allows you to

configure COM1 and COM2 ports, but I don't see a way to point either one to

the Keyspan/Garmin (the only choice that shows up in the pull down menu is

Internal Modem with a place to Check "Non-Modem Device"--I've tried this

setting, but that hasn't worked either).

Has anyone else out there run into this issue? Any suggestions on how to

set everything correctly? I'm sure that I've seen references that this is

all supposed to work, but I'm clueless at this point as to how.

Thanks in advance for any help,

darkbodhi

Guest Donad_Demon

Just a thought, have you enabled USB on for the 'virtual machine'? It is a USB to serial adapter, isn't it?

Of course I can't even get EasyGPS to work with VPC 4 running Win98, so maybe you shouldn't take me too seriously.

Donad

Guest darkbodhi

Thanks for the answers. To Donad's post, yes, the USB is on and reading the Keyspan Connector, it just doesn't take that extra step and see the Garmin connected to it. To Josh, you might be right, although I have seen indications here and there that with the proper program (Virtual PC) and connector (Keyspan Serial-to-USB) you should be able to connect and communicate with your Garmin.

Thanks again guys. If I ever figure it out, I'll post back.

[This message has been edited by darkbodhi (edited 08 January 2002).]

Guest darkbodhi

O.K. Here we go. I finally figured it all out and it is now working the way it should. First and formost, I needed to download the Windows version of the driver/software for the Keyspan Serial-to-USB connector directly into Virtual PC Windows 98. Next I had to make sure that Serial Data Format in my Venture was set to "Garmin" (this is found under Main Menu-->Setup-->Interface). And finally (and also oddly enough) I had to TURN OFF the USB in Virtual PC. This forced the COM1 port to list the Keyspan Connector as a choice (along with Internal Modem). Also, I made sure that "Non-Modem Device" was also checked. Anyway, there it is. I am now merrily downloading and uploading waypoints from my Mac to my Garmin and vice-versa. Hope this is of help to others out there!

darkbodhi

Guest madphatboy2

darkbodhi,

glad to know that there are people out there that can figure out how to use a mac. i am not one of those people. but if i ever get one i'll come to you for support. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest madphatboy2

darkbodhi,

glad to know that there are people out there that can figure out how to use a mac. i am not one of those people. but if i ever get one i'll come to you for support. icon_biggrin.gif

r/software for the Keyspan Serial-to-USB connector directly into Virtual PC Windows 98. Next I had to make sure that Serial Data Format in my Venture was set to "Garmin" (this is found under Main Menu-->Setup-->Interface). And finally (and also oddly enough) I had to TURN OFF the USB in Virtual PC. This forced the COM1 port to list the Keyspan Connector as a choice (along with Internal Modem). Also, I made sure that "Non-Modem Device" was also checked. Anyway, there it is. I am now merrily downloading and uploading waypoints from my Mac to my Garmin and vice-versa. Hope this is of help to others out there!

Actually (you may want to try this) I believe that you don't need the Keyspan drivers for Windows in order to do what you have described...

So far this is what I have had to do:

1) Boot into OS9.

2) Install Mac Keyspan drivers

3) Connect the USB->Serial adapter to the computer and the GPS

4) Open VPC - and create a drive with "Are you going to use a PDA with this" option selected.

5) In the drive settings - select the Keyspan port for the serial port (either com1 or com2)

6) Disable the USB support (don't know if this helps but figure it would reduce confusion)

7) Then do what I needed to do to upload/download data to my GPS.

The problem that I am experancing is that I can upload/download waypoints with no problems but uploading the detailed Map to my Magellan 330 is a PITA and doesn't seem to work - sorta... The Keyspan drivers let you "watch" the data being transmitted on the serial port - and stuff is definatly being transmitted ... but it would be faster if I hand typed all the 1's and 0's myself (or drove to work, borrowed a Windows 2000 laptop, drove home, and installed the detailed map on my GPS)

Anyway ... anyone get the load detailed regions on Magellan 330 working?

Oh, one other - unrelated - question...

I was going to come up with a hack to load Waypoints from Mac OSX through a Keyspan USB->PDA adapter to a Magellan 330 ... would anyone else be interested, or am I the only one with this configuration???

Laurie

Guest JollyBGood

<

I've been upload maps to my Garmin GPSV. The only problem with VPC5 is that tends to lose connection with the unit about twenty minutes into the process. I'm told this is bug in VPC5 and that it will hopefully be fixed soon. So I can only upload about 7 megs of maps. Anything more and I loose contact and the attempt is wasted.

<PDA adapter to a Magellan 330 ... would anyone else be interested, or am I the only one with this configuration???>>

FYI there is NOW an OSX driver for the Keyspan adapter(s). They work great. I've been using VPC5 through OSX for about three weeks now -- much faster than running it in OS9 in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by JollyBGood:

FYI there is NOW an OSX driver for the Keyspan adapter(s). They work great. I've been using VPC5 through OSX for about three weeks now -- much faster than running it in OS9 in my opinion.

icon_wink.gif Ya, I know - been using it for some time now... Gotta say though that VPC5 on OSX running on a 300mhz iBook is painfull to say the least.

Laurie

quote:
Originally posted by JollyBGood:

icon_wink.gif Ya, I know - been using it for some time now... Gotta say though that VPC5 on OSX running on a 300mhz iBook is painfull to say the least.

Laurie

quote:
Originally posted by laurie:

I felt your pain a year ago. That is why you should pick yourself up a Mac native app. You will not regret running a mac native app. I waited waaaaay too long to make that switch. There are a few mac GPS apps out there, I prefer MacGPS Pro. Search the forumns for "mac", plenty of posts, many from me. icon_wink.gif

My only GPS use for VPC these days is to update firmware on my GPSR or to dump different MapSource maps to my Legend. MacGPS Pro does everything else I need and then some.

------------------

Brian and Terry

San Diego, CA

quote:
Originally posted by laurie:

I felt your pain a year ago. That is why you should pick yourself up a Mac native app. You will not regret running a mac native app. I waited waaaaay too long to make that switch. There are a few mac GPS apps out there, I prefer MacGPS Pro. Search the forumns for "mac", plenty of posts, many from me. icon_wink.gif

My only GPS use for VPC these days is to update firmware on my GPSR or to dump different MapSource maps to my Legend. MacGPS Pro does everything else I need and then some.

------------------

Brian and Terry

San Diego, CA

OK - maybe I wasn't very clear. I have a Mac (an iBook if anyone cares) running VPC 5.0.2, the latest Keyspan USB drivers, and MapSend Streets.

What I want to do is to load detail maps (from MapSend Streets) onto my Magellan 330. I do not care about using my Mac to navigate, I just want to use the Magellan 330. I do not have easy access to a Windows machine.

Anyone get this to work? As stated, I have been able to upload/download waypoints using both the Mapsend software and EasyGPS.

Thanks in advance.

Laurie