Fortuna GPSmart receiver (handheld with Bluetooth for PDA)

itesla

I haven't seen much about the GPSmart in the geo forums, so I'm hoping someone else has tried it before I buy one. I emailed Garmin and they didn't sound like they have any Bluetooth enabled handhelds in the works.

GPSmart was also brought up in this thread, but the title doesn't mention it by name:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=9596033791&r=2696033791#2696033791

Links:

A review: http://www.gpspassion.com/en/hardware/fortunagpsmart.htm#Official%20Specs:

So what do you guys think, is this one worth getting from a handheld geocaching perspective?

Thanks!

It's large.

It uses AAA's when it should use AA's for that size for better battery life.

The screen is large but the resoltuion is bad.

If it's supposed to be a bluetooth GPS lose the screen entirely shrink it to smaller than a gecko and provide good PDA software.

That's my quick take.

Get a magellan or garmin.

I want the best of both worlds. Handheld seems much better for carrying around in the rain, durability, etc... Bluetooth seems like the best for in car use with a PDA.

Does Magellan (plan to) have any Bluetooth enabled handhelds?

Just bought a GPSmart to go with an iPaq for in car navigation. So far I've not used it seriously (the Tomtom s/w was out of stock) but early impressions are that it's too big (about the same as the Sportrak), AAA's are a pain, and it doesn't do mapping.

However, these don't matter when it's principly in the car (powered from the car) and could still be taken out for caching in an emergency caching situation.

I'll let you know how well it performs against the others when I take it out caching at the weekend.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by itesla:

Any updates Dave?

Thanks!

Unfortunately I have to report problems with the Bluetooth. I can get a bluetooth connection to my iPaq3870 but it gets some data and then locks up. The supplier has been unable to suggest anything useful so the GPSmart is on it's way back for exchange.

GPS performance however is good. Signal sensitivity is better than my eMap and WAAS lock (EGNOS around here in Europe) is similar to my Sportrak). The user interface isn't particularly easy but since I intend to use it principally for in car navigation, this isn't a concern for my main application.

I wanted to be able to use it for occasional caching trips as a hand-held, and it looks good for this. The only concerns would be it's appetite for AAA batteries (I can only find low capacity AAA compared with AA) and the build quality appears lower than either or my Garmin or Magellan.

However, this is horses for courses and it suits my application.

Dave

I've been looking at the GPSmart for use with a Nokia 6600 and the Wayfinder application.

I wanted a display on the unit for those time you just want to check your co-ordinates, but I have come across GPS Dial which provides the basic output on the 6600, so I may look at a more compact unit. There are similar programs for Palm OS and PocketPC.

There is a very detailed review on PocketGPS. One thing it mentions is the unit's very quick fix times.

- Neil.

Get a Pocket PC and cable your existing GPS to it. Then add Mapopolis for autonavigation. That will get you to the park with great big colorful road maps and voice instructions. The put the Pcoket PC in your Pocket for safe-keeping and switch to your existing GPS for cache hunt in the woods.

For another hundred bucks you can add a GPS that plugs into the Pocket PC's CF slot so you can auto-navigate without connecitng to your existing GPS. For what you'll spend on the cable, you might as well just get the CF GPS. These GPS's use the Pcoket PC power so its a drain but a lighter plug in the car will keep the Pcoket PC charge during the whole trip.

With GSAK and GPXtomaplet you can have all the cache web page info in your Pocket PC and have the waypoint indicate on the Mapopolis map.

I've done that and have no reason to upgrade my Vista.

It's a pricey option but so is a new GPS like the Garmin 60CS which I was considering Fortunately my old orgainzer crapped out and I needed another for work. (what a wonderful excuse for my wife why I needed all this other stuff. Good timing, no?) Plus you get the advantage of a small computer to do "honest" work like Outlook, organizer for appts and address and phone numbers. Plus add topo maps in full color, games, music, and whatever comes down the pike in the future for Pocket PC's.

I'll probably start a firestorm, but don't bother with the Palm. It's seem it's day like the Mac.

(Excuse me while I duck!) :D

Alan

Edited by Alan2

Bluetooth GPSr in the car sounds cool, and may get rid of cord or two, but in reality, you will most likely use the cigarete cable to power it etc. I just sold my Mapopolis software, and HOLUX bluetooth gps, to get the awesome GARMIN 60cs.

The autorouting software on the simple 60cs is SOOOO much better then the Mapopolis's voice and beeps.

Mapopolis simply says annoying robotic voices, like "Left turn, 300 feet ahead"

While the Garmin will beep and draw a arrow showing exactely where you will turn, how long it will take to get their.

If your really worried about not taking your eyes off of the road, you will anyways with the voice software of Mapopolis, and I simply do not look at my Garmin until it does a beep, and shows the upcoming turn, then once I know where I will turn, my eyes are back on the road-no harm done.

:D