IQue by Garmin - Waypoints

Waterfall

Just bought a IQue and how do I import the GC waypoints into the Mapping software that came with the unit, other than doing it manual way waypoint by waypoint.

Did the pocket querry and was able to import the EBooks but want to import the cache locations on the map also.

Please help any way you can..

Thanks.

Mark. (waterfall)

Just bought a IQue and how do I import the GC waypoints into the Mapping software that came with the unit, other than doing it manual way waypoint by waypoint.<BR><BR>Did the pocket querry and was able to import the EBooks but want to import the cache locations on the map also.<BR><BR>Please help any way you can..<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>Mark. (waterfall)

go to this page on the Garmin website and bottom right you'll see "Download Transfer Waypoints".

This adds a button at the top of your palm desktop (active when on the address page) that lets you import .mps files (ie waypoint files from mapsource) into your address book.

Obviously, you have to have imported the waypoints (ie from the .GPX file) into your mapsource.

That any use?

Paul

Edited by paul.blitz

:D:):D;)

Found it, and it works GREAT!!! WoW!

Here it is:

The link is:

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums//showthrea...&threadid=27029

OK, I have attached a zip of the program and a ReadMe file to this message. I hope you find it useful. Please read the ReadMe file before using the program and also see the bottom of this message How to use the program.

The program is actually written in vbscript. I have been writing software for years but never in vbscript before (so be kind with your critiquing vbscript writers ;-) I choose vbscript because I wanted to write something that would be able to run on most systems and would also contain the source so others could modify to suite their needs if they so desire. This program/script requires that you have Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher installed on your system.

As most of us already know, the iQue stores waypoints in the Palm address book. So the easiest way to get waypoints into the iQue is to convert them into a vCard format. Once the waypoint data has been converted into a vCard, you simply read the vCard file into the Palm Desktop and then HotSync. To read these vCard files into the Palm Desktop you can either drag and drop them onto the open address book, or you can create a file association to Palm Desktop for the vCard file format (as described in the readme file attached here).

The attached program (Geocaching To iQue) will currently convert two types of files as follows:

1) *.loc files in the XML format as downloaded from www.geocaching.com

2) *.txt files in a tab delimited format as created from the MapSource File->Export as tab delimited menu option

The program will convert either of these file formats into a vCard format and then try to import them into Palm address book automatically if you have created the file association. Either of these files can have multiple waypoints defined in them.

How to use the program

1) Download the attached file and unzip the program and the ReadMe.txt file.

2) Read the ReadMe.txt file thoroughly.

3) Download a waypoint file (*.loc) from www.geocaching.com or save out a *.txt file from MapSource.

4) Drag and drop the *.loc and/or *.txt file onto the Geocaching To iQue program (yes, you can even drop multiple files of different formats onto the program at the same time).

5) Next a window will open displaying all the waypoint data found in those files. Here you can select or deselect the checkboxes to fine tune which waypoints you want to import. Also, you can select on any waypoint data including lat/lon, elevation, name and description. After selecting on some data you will be allowed to modify it. These changes will be saved in the new vCard file and imported into Palm Desktop.

6) After you are happy with your changes, select OK.

7) Now you will be prompted to import the waypoints into Palm Desktop. If you have successfully created the file association between vCard format and Palm Desktop, then just select YES. Otherwise you could select NO and then open Palm Desktop and drag and drop the newly created vCard file (*.vcf) onto the address book.

8) Palm Desktop will ask you to select a category to read the data into. On my system I created one named "Waypoints" and always read into that category.

9) Now just HotSync and the waypoints will be on your iQue!

Suggestions/comments welcome.

Enjoy,

-Bill