A logo for the rest of us?

As a corporate attorney, I acknowledge and respect Groundspeak's efforts to protect its trademark rights in the geocaching logo. They are getting good legal advice.

At the same time, as a geocacher, it pains me to read of Team FISUR's investment in expensive geocoin dies that now can only be used once, and that the issuance of the popular Texas Geocoins has ground to a halt, at least temporarily.

Would geocachers be better able to avoid stepping on Groundspeak's toes if we developed a separate geocachers logo that is distinct from the geocaching logo? This would be "community property" that isn't trademarked by anyone. Logo copy could be stored on separate web space. The geocachers logo could then be used on coins, patches and other personal signature items without fear of trademark infringement, while at the same time quickly identifying the item as something unique to a geocacher. It could be altered, unlike the Groundspeak logo, to customize an item for an individual. (The Leprechauns want a shamrock on their coins, while normal folks won't.)

This idea would require donations by geocachers of their expertise in graphics design and perhaps other areas. I have no particular logo ideas; I'm not a graphics designer. I just like the concept. Does anyone else?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

I am not a graphics person AT ALL. But I do like the idea of my own coins. I like the wooden nickle one because they're cool & cheap. 250 for $60.00 I was thinking my weird nj logo (wait, what logo? I dont have one yet. Well I'll make one someday) a reference to my website on side A, then the geocaching logo & www.geocaching.com on the flip side. but I'd have to worry about the whole issue of property rights. even if i'm not selling them I'd be worried. come on graphic whizes! let's see what you can come up with!

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

I already suggested that in the "Wow! All those Geocoins" thread right after team FISUR message.

I never thought it was an original idea -- just an idea whose time has come. And I still believe that.

We need a public domain geocaching logo that belongs to the geocaching community as a whole.

I had a vague idea of a dotted line with x marks the spot, and a waymark flag, etc., but then got worried it might be considered too similar to the Groundspeak logo. Even though the image I had in mind has probably been in the Garman Etrex since long before Groundspeak had the logo.

It will have to be an obviously original design, or the problem won't be solved. The trick will be coming up with something that can be simple line-art, as widely recognizable as the Groundspeak logo, (ie obviously geocaching,) and that can be modified to fit coins and have custom embelishments.

Sadly, I'm neither creative, nor artistic. I can't believe there isn't SOMEONE who is both a graphic artist and a geocacher who could help with this...

Why don't we wait a little while, let Groundspeak work the details out, and go along with what's already established?

Maybe they'll start selling the coins themselves, made by the people who's already making them, and everyone involved can make and/or save a little money.

This way we can support the people who make it all possible.

Like I said though, I may have missed something. icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

Not sure if I like the idea or not but maybe with some changes?

I agree, needs to be centered on the US of A. Otherwise my friends from Holland will think we've grown soft or something. It actually pretty good otherwise. I like the strong contrast, and it doesn't feel "thrown together" like some of the others do. (No offense, I wouldn't have even come up with something as decent as those...)

Once we get a bunch together we should put together a poll, take a vote.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

Why don't we wait a little while, let Groundspeak work the details out, and go along with what's already established? . . . Like I said though, I may have missed something. icon_smile.gif

As mentioned in another thread, Team FISUR got permission for the production of 100 geocoins to be used as signature items by the team (i.e., my family). The permission included a modification of the geocaching.com trademark to include an anchor, one of the symbols of Rhode Island. After posting a photo of the 1st coin, we received an e-mail from Groundspeak stating that based upon updated legal advise, Team FISUR would not be authorized to print another set in the future. So as far as logo modification is concerned, the details appear to be finalized. At least for us. icon_frown.gif

We look forward to seeing the suggested logos in this thread that can be used and modified for signature items. icon_smile.gif

I have been sketching a few logos and the one I liked best was also very similar to risk's. But I think the reciever should cover most of the world. I don't really think any country should be discernable. This is a world sport and the USA already has a reputation for tending to make everything about USA. Personally I feel a "generic" world would work fine, everyone knows what a globe with land masses is supposed to be.

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

I think we have enough diversity here in the forums to create something that will work here!

I can see one problem we will have is keeping any ideas for graphics at a single location so I have created a web space for this purpose. That way, all potential images and ideas can be looked at beside each other rather than scrolling through the forums.

This space is here and can be viewed by all and I have set up a user account in case some able bodies may want to to upload images as well as me. It will help if people even submit a piece of clipart that might be used as part of the logo, it might help inspire the final idea. I'm here quite a bit so I'll try to copy the images from this thread to the web page, but if we could get a few others that could upload images involved it would help. Even a sketch will work for these initial phases, all we need are ideas right now...

If anyone knows if there is a way to dynamically add all the images in a folder to a web page using Front Page, let me know, that would help a lot.

Once we have accepted a logo, I'll either leave this account up as one of the places it will be available for download, or move it to my geocaching page.

Always proof-read carefully to see if you any words out.

One reason the Geocaching.com logo is so tempting to modify for local use is that everyone involved in geocaching recognizes the 'charm bracelet' circle on top of a grid of yellow/green/blue/orange. Further, this image creates a "common anchoring theme" instantly recognizable (by us) which is EASILY modifiable to include a 'localized charm' (such as the Rhode Island anchor) which often replaces the 'flag' in the orange portion of the picture.

The general idea of 'easily recognizable but leaving room for customization' is a very powerful one.

Also, the current image lends itself wonderfully to being both square (how it starts) or round (for coins)

I suggest a few things:

Those who have far better creativity than I consider creating something easily recognizable that leaves room for customization naturally in the design.

Don't put a current-model GPSr in it - these things change shape/size/form so often that your logo will begin to look out-dated soon after you create it. Imagine GPS receivers from 1995 used here - you'll see what I mean...

To formally declare your work in the public domain - to avoid trouble later.

That Groundspeak.com consider offering an official 'template' for a logo on which they will allow customization in a specific area.

I tried drawing one myself - showing a satellite around a planet, where you could put a 'local item' in the planet, but it really didn't come off to well... icon_frown.gif I am no artist...

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

I tried drawing one myself - showing a satellite around a planet, where you could put a 'local item' in the planet, but it really didn't come off to well... icon_frown.gif I am no artist...

Post it anyway, the more ideas we get the more we have to work with!

The rest of your ideas make perfect sense as well...

Could Groundspeak produce a derivative logo, changed just enough from their primary logo as to make it different. Then donate the derivative logo to the public domain without fear they would lose their rights on their primary logo? Im not saying Groundspeak should or would, just wondering how the law works....

-Centaur

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:

Why isn't the world centered on the USA? icon_wink.gif

Good start though.

It was the only photo of earth I could find not buried under clouds...

I might mess around with it more today... That one I did on my laptop after a lot of beer while watching Trading Spaces icon_smile.gif

The only problem I see with making a new logo is how different it has to be from the official... I mean there's really only two basic elements to geocaching... A person and a goal, and the official logo portrays that exactly... I had another idea with a stick figure and you're looking over his shoulder and seeing a the goal, but that seemed kinda, I don't know... Lame... And my stick figure ended up looking just like the official one...

Blah... Maybe someone else will come up with something, or an idea that we can illustrate for them...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

quote:

Why don't we wait a little while, let Groundspeak work the details out, and go along with what's already established?

Respectfuuly, dawgies, what is established by Groundspeak, although regonized as "geocaching" is also an "advertisement" and indicative of Groundspeak. As geocachers, we can and should create something recognized solely as geocaching. if we do create it, and use it, i could also become as recognized as much as the Groundspeak geocaching symbol. there is no reason why we cant and shouldnt create it and use it (or our own cutomization of it).

we all appreciate the work of the folks at Groundspeak and geocaching plus the pleasure we have all derived from this game/hobby, etc. however, their logo is their logo, not ours. note, they can also use our logo because it is for ALL geocachers.

finally, my suggestion for the logo should include a frs radio with a 2/12 in it to publicize it some icon_wink.gif

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

How about a wire-frame world, to reflect the lat-long grid. That also solves the whole "which country/continent" issue.

Also the GPS could show the compass rose, which I believe, is featured on all GPS units. That would help it look less like a PDA or portable TV, etc.

Remember, though, it needs to be something that can be colorful for the web, yet simple enough to stamp into a coin.

[This message was edited by LongDogs on October 06, 2002 at 11:17 AM.]

9372_800.JPG

and

9372_900.wmf

please pardon the fact that these drawings look like dung. my lack of graphic and general art ability is painfully obvious. if anyone thinks these ideas have merrit and wants to work on them and whatever, feel free.

[This message was edited by SR & dboggny on October 06, 2002 at 01:52 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Pubo:

How about a geocaching mascot?

http://newsguy.com/~sycamore/Kern/mascot.jpg

OK, maybe I was wrong. I don't think we will accept all ideas .... while rubber toes and nekkid sqirrels may show the diversity of geocachers, I do not think they portray what geocaching or any logo associated with it is!

And Pubo, glad to see you found someone you could trust to lend your goods to. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry Lep, I said I'd be serious in this thread, but he started it!

Lets get back on track now with this import thread...

I certainly don't want to stifle your folks' creativity, and look forward to seeing this new logo you're planning to come up with.

For folks that still want to use the geocaching.com logo, we're running through some designs for the coin, as well as suggestions for organizations who want to use the logo along with their own.

Here's one version we're working on for the coin. We'll add some text like "Used with permission from Geocaching.com" at the bottom somewhere, and will be creating a die that people can use if they want to create their own coins (obviously with permission. Mostly just so we know who is using it and it looks ok.).

GeoCoin_1.jpg

As you can see, the logo is no longer curved, and it remains "pristine," meaning no changes. The front side of the coin can have whatever you want. We'll also make allowances for other designs, but we won't be paying for the die.

Pretty much if you don't touch the logo itself, and provide a url somewhere to the web site, and you ask permission, we're fine with it.

The reason behind all this hullabaloo can be found on the logo usage guidelines page. If we lost the right to use the logo than anyone could use it. Which in most cases is a good thing, but an underground version of the sport could crop up using the same logo. That really is my ultimate fear with losing rights to it.

Once we finalize this design we'll be emailing FISUR and whoever else was planning to make coins and allow them to use them for their personal coins. I think covering the new die is pretty fair, but that's ultimately up to you to decide.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

We appreciate Jeremy's post on this matter. But for clarification: We read the logo usage guidelines, contacted Groundspeak, and received written permission for the Team FISUR geocoins, including use of the anchor instead of the flag. Obviously Groundspeak made a mistake, and it looks like we'll be losing some money. But no one died or suffered severe psychological damage. And we found a nice geocache today. Life goes on. Team FISUR

I would recommend not putting the year on the die, as that would limit it's lifetime. Also, I'd recommend putting the geocaching.com url on that face of the coin, along with the logo.

Seems to me there could be a curved version of the logo that was tradmarked and protected, just like the original. Of course there is the risk of someone who has already minted coins claiming prior-art on that version.

Also, for those who've already minted coins, there is the issue of cost of a mated die face for your die face, unless everyone happens to be using the same mint and coin stock and size as you choose.

I am not a lawyer. But I often wonder how a regular person can be expected to follow laws if they need lawyers to explain how the laws work. At least here in the USA the laws are supposed to derive from the people up to the government. Why as a people would we allow laws to become such if we can’t even figure them out. All of which is OT!

But some thoughts on Groundspeak and allowing the use of their logo. I fully support their right to their logo and doing what they must to protect is usage. I am also willing to go on the assumption that they want to be friendly and helpful to the geocaching community. That said they have the ability and right to license the use of their logo. They have done this it would seem on many occasions. I don’t see why it is a problem for them to license the use of their logo with such modifications as the user may wish subject to the approval of Groundspeak. They are still retaining their rights to the property. The problem really seems to have started when a modification was made to their logo. I just don’t get where that would somehow nullify their claim to the trademark. It would seem that this happens all the time. Companies license the use of logos to put on products that end up in may different formats, styles, colors, shapes, etc. I don’t think that ever would put the holder of the trademark in jeopardy of losing their right to the property. I have to think that it is their property and they can allow its use as they see fit. If someone does not get permission, weather it is a fateful reproduction or one that is modified, they have violated the trademark. The holder would then have to go after them or risk having their trademark fall into the public domain.

Perhaps this becomes a different matter when commerce is involved. I would not see a problem with Groundspeak charging a nominal fee to license the use of the trademark. Something like a dollar for its use and a dime for each object if the item is sold. I am thinking in terms of coins here. But this could apply to tee shirts that are modified for a group of geocachers in a particular state or something else along those lines. It would seem that as long as Groundspeak retains the rights to approve the final product they should retain the right to the trademark. I can go into stores in any major city and buy any number of different products that are very different looking for a sports team. The team itself or the umbrella organization is not creating and selling those items. They have licensed the right to do so to other companies. I really fail to see how any of this is different. A small part of me has to think that it is the money that made the difference here. We all know how any type of relationship changes when money gets involved.

I would also have to wonder about using www.geocaching.com on the item. Is this not using another company’s trademark? I think there have been many cases of one web site being sued because they grabbed a name and dot comed it before the trademark holder did. Or also sites that have similar names. What about the term geocaching? What is the legal status of that? Is it in the public domain? That is getting a little bit away from the use and modification of a logo but still in the ballpark. At some point in the future will they be emailing folks saying, “Gee you know our lawyers just said you can’t be doing that even though we said it was OK”?

On the costs that has already been put out by some people on dies and whatever. If they went through the approval process and were granted permission they should be compensated if they are now being told they can’t do it. Those folks did everything right and they used resources based on that agreement they had with Groundspeak. Maybe Groundspeak screwed up and should not have said it was OK. So sad, too bad, pay the band. Maybe that is something the lawyers should be discussing with the people who are out money.

In the end I think some kind of public domain logo should be designed. It might be in the best interest of the Groundspeak people to do that. They could feature both logos on their site. It would get the geocaching community familiar with the logo. It would promote its usage. And it could be a show of Groundspeak wanting to work with the hobby and being a good citizen in the community. Actually GPSr makers are long overdue in that regard. But in any case the series of events shows that to be sure you are safe and protected in what you are doing one needs to get away from the corporate entity. The corporation and the lawyers it hires live to protect it assets. I think that is the way it should be. I love capitalism. But don’t expect it to be your friend should something happen that the corporate body senses may adversely effect it.

It is a gracious gesture to have dies made and sent to coin makers. But I don’t know that that solves the real problem. Just to name a few: using a minter that does not have the die, you want a different size coin, maybe not a coin at all, maybe some other type of item. So if I had the ability to even draw a straight line I would help but I think we are looking for something a little more involved than stick people.

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

I am not a lawyer. But I often wonder how a regular person can be expected to follow laws if they need lawyers to explain how the laws work. At least here in the USA the laws are supposed to derive from the people up to the government. Why as a people would we allow laws to become such if we can’t even figure them out. All of which is OT!

That is a sentiment I express often. I'm glad someone else has made this obvious connection. I also throw in there that even LAWYERS don't know all the laws, hense the specialization in different areas.

How can we be held to the notion that ignorance of the law being no excuse when even lawyers don't know it.

Same for the tax code.

When will it end?

Back to the logo design itself...I'd like to throw my 2 cents in there too. It would be nice if it could be a simple figure that can be easily drawn. That is one of the great things about the official logo. It's simple enough to encourage handmade replication....you don't have to be an artist to do an ok paint job of the logo.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

Can I point out how small everything will be on a coin with that new logo?

The Canadian Geocoins have a Canadian flag only a couple centimeters in size. Yet, it looks like a Canadian flag.

So yes, it is smaller, but the coins look great. Lincoln on a penny looks pretty good too.

Jeremy Irish

quote:

It is a gracious gesture to have dies made and sent to coin makers. But I don’t know that that solves the real problem. Just to name a few: using a minter that does not have the die, you want a different size coin, maybe not a coin at all, maybe some other type of item.

The issue is derivitives, not the actual usage of the logo. Adding another icon in the lower right hand box of the 4-box logo is creating a derivitive.

In all these cases listed above, as long as you keep the logo "pristine" (as in not modifying it), there would probably be no issue. And if they were personal, signature items, I personally would have no problem with it whatsoever.

The point seems to be muddy here for some. We can't have people selling items with our logo on them without our permission. We can't have people modifying the logo and creating derivitives. Both issues threaten our further ownership in the logo. If we don't take action, we may lose the right to protect our own design. So we take action.

We're not saying MINE MINE here. We're saying, make a concious effort to keep the logo "pristine" - And if you haven't read it, read the logo usage guidelines. I think it has been well written and explains a lot.

Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

quote:

Respectfuuly, dawgies, what is established by Groundspeak, although regonized as "geocaching" is also an "advertisement" and indicative of Groundspeak. As geocachers, we can and should create something recognized solely as geocaching. if we do create it, and use it, i could also become as recognized as much as the Groundspeak geocaching symbol. there is no reason why we cant and shouldnt create it and use it (or our own cutomization of it).

we all appreciate the work of the folks at Groundspeak and geocaching plus the pleasure we have all derived from this game/hobby, etc. however, their logo is their logo, not ours. note, they can also use our logo because it is for ALL geocachers.

finally, my suggestion for the logo should include a frs radio with a 2/12 in it to publicize it some icon_wink.gif

The Groundspeak Logo can be used by anyone personally, but not for making individual profit.

What you're creating here is a logo for a group of people that has no weight. It won't be tied to an established organization, so therefore it won't be recognized as legit. Political weight stems from sheer numbers and money.

Your logo, being copyright free, will end up in service stations indicating "Geocachers Do It With A Handheld..." and the like.

I'll stick with my Geocaching.com club membership, logo and my personal key to the "members only" mensroom.

Also I want to say... Groover, That is one OUSTANDING Logo! icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

Don't take any of what I said (say) as being meant to flame anybody. I was trying to point out a possible solution. The work you have done is tremendous and I think you deserve to profit from that. That is how our system works.

You are and should be saying MINE MINE here. It is yours. You get to do that. There is not problem with that. But I do think you want to make some kind of effort to share. But still protect what is yours.

The issue as I see it is not about derivatives it is about licensing. I have read the logo usage guidelines. They are well written. You are right to say you would loose your right to your trademark if people sold items without your permission if you did not take action. You also say that having people modify the logo would put you in jeopardy of loosing your trademark. I would only add that would be the case if this was done without your permission and you did not take action. But allowing (licensing) people to do that would not.

Here is what the usage guidelines say:

“No web development, web design, web graphic designer or web hosting firm can use the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without paying a developer's license fee if they plan on altering the logos for their client(s). For information on commercial licenses, please send an email inquiry to logo@Groundspeak.com.

The user of a personal website is not permitted to commercially exploit any of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos. Nor can the web user transfer the Groundspeak Geocaching logos to any third party. Any reprinting, sublicensing, copying, modifying, publishing, assignment, transfer, sales, or other distribution of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos contained within this website or any other website is strictly prohibited without the prior written consent of Groundspeak. The user shall not copy, reverse engineer, translate, port, modify or make derivative works of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without express written permission from Groundspeak.

All Groundspeak Geocaching logos are to be used "as they appear" and are not to be cut up or resized or altered without express written permission of Groundspeak.

No other website is allowed to offer the Groundspeak Geocaching logos from their website in any way shape or form without the express written consent of Groundspeak.”

Several statements are made about “express written consent” and also there is a mention of “paying a developer’s license fee” and “commercial license”. It seems like the offer to allow people to do exactly what they have done and have since been told they can not do is right there. They asked, they were given permission. Perhaps a “developer’s license fee” was not collected. That is not the fault of the person or group that made the offer. You had the chance to say yes but it will cost x dollars. That sounds like there was an offer, a consideration and acceptance. If I am remembering those scenes from “The Paper Chase” correctly I think that is a contract.

Should we assume that although it has been spelled out many times when “express written permission” is needed it will not be granted? How much is a developer’s license fee? Is that something that is really going to be made available to an average Joe geocacher? You can’t say that the problem is creating “derivatives” period. Because on the other hand you say that it can happen when a fee is paid and when permission is granted.

Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

This idea would require donations by geocachers of their expertise in graphics design and perhaps other areas. I have no particular logo ideas; I'm not a graphics designer. I just like the concept. Does anyone else?

QUOTE]

Count me in. I am not an artist either, but I could help with text, grunt work of finding manufactuers, etc. Also, I have used the Geochips that were sold here and have modified them so people would know they were mine. I could contribute this experience.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:

Several statements are made about “express written consent” and also there is a mention of “paying a developer’s license fee” and “commercial license”. It seems like the offer to allow people to do exactly what they have done and have since been told they can not do is right there. They asked, they were given permission.

Please offer an example. Who are these people and who we have offered permission and then revoked that permission? As far as I know there is one case where we indicated that no more coins be made with the coin design originally approved (but I believe the current batch has been allowed). Another commercial venture selling state coins with the Geocaching logo never received consent to mint their coins. At all. Period.

The section you quoted was in regard to having someone "commercially exploit" the Geocaching.com logo. For example, creating a geocoin site that sells coins for a profit without permission. Seems right that someone planning to exploit a design by someone else should ask them first, and in some cases pay a license fee to use that logo.

I work better with tangible examples. If you have one, please submit it.

Jeremy Irish

I've not yet read the posts or looked at the suggestions so far... but I saw a post in usenet about this, and I whipped up a design for a coin real quick.

This is what suits my personal tastes for a geocoin. If I were to make some, this is what I would do... I'd probably personalize it somehow - but I'd stick to the plain, clean looking design. Anyway - after I post this I'll read some of these posts and see what everyone is getting at. icon_smile.gif

gc-logo-coin.jpg

(picture this as a gold coin, with the darker shaded areas being frosted, and the lighter areas being gloss - the black areas, such as lettering, are raised)

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

quote:
The section you quoted was in regard to having someone "commercially exploit" the Geocaching.com logo. For example, creating a geocoin site that sells coins for a profit without permission. Seems right that someone planning to exploit a design by someone else should ask them first, and in some cases pay a license fee to use that logo.

But this is why we need a public domain geocaching community logo. What if I want to buy a Texas Geocoin. Right now, because of this dispute, I can't. Right now, it can only be done if (1) the current logo licensed by Groundspeak, (and indications are that it won't be licensed,) or (2) a logo independent of Groundspeak or (any other authority) is used.

It seems that Groover and I think along similar lines... I think we must have both been going for the compass feel. icon_smile.gif But yeah, I suppose my design is quite boring for a patch or other such things. It would only be okay on a coin, pretty much.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

quote:
Originally posted by LongDogs:

Right now, because of this dispute, I can't. Right now, it can only be done if (1) the current logo licensed by Groundspeak, (and indications are that it won't be licensed,) or (2) a logo independent of Groundspeak or (any other authority) is used.

You're right. You can't. So are you indicating that it is in some way my fault? Mr Gigabyte repeatedly requested that the TX Geocoins person contact us to get permission, and he did not do so. Regardless, Bryan and him have been talking about how to move forward and everything seems to be ok. So you'll just have to wait until it can be sorted out.

As for your #1, I'm not sure where you got your information. Did a government official leak that it won't be licensed?

Jeremy Irish

Centaur's version is good. Just what I was hoping for is to inspire someone to come up with something more creative than what I threw together. I also like the ones by Gustaf and Groover. Rubbertoe's too.

I just like the compass idea, as it just seems to fit well on a coin.

The 4-point star in the center of the rose seems like a good divider, and you could color in the quarters around it, or leave them as is.

Maybe a raised outer ring with text, like Rubbertoe suggested, with the star touching the ring, and the N,E,S,W on the ring as he indicated. The quadrants also provide a good place to substitute a custom symbol for a stock logo symbol, for personalization. I like the curved text on the edge of Groovers.

While I'd like to see www.geocaching.com on it, I'd be wary of using it for fear of future legal entanglements.