Disguising your cache

Guest Clay

What kind of ingenious ways have you come up with to disguise or hide your caches. I have taken camo paint with me to the cache site ot match the colors, and have used expanding foam on a pvc pipe (copied this from TreOkies. See Xmas gift cache thread.)

Guest TresOkies

Here are a few that I have used...

icon_wink.gif

• 5 gallon pickle bucket sprayed with expanding foam and painted in camo brown and camo olive green
  • 3 pound coffee can sprayed with expanding foam and painted in camo brown and camo olive green
  • 2 foot length of 4 inch PVC pipe with a sewer cap end (screw type) on one side and an end cap on the other painted flat black and then given the camo treatment
  • 1 foot length of 2 inch PVC done the same as above
  • Spent shotgun shell used as a leg of a Christmas day multi-cache

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

Here are a few that I have used...

icon_wink.gif

• 5 gallon pickle bucket sprayed with expanding foam and painted in camo brown and camo olive green
  • 3 pound coffee can sprayed with expanding foam and painted in camo brown and camo olive green
  • 2 foot length of 4 inch PVC pipe with a sewer cap end (screw type) on one side and an end cap on the other painted flat black and then given the camo treatment
  • 1 foot length of 2 inch PVC done the same as above
  • Spent shotgun shell used as a leg of a Christmas day multi-cache

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest jbmccarthy69

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:1 foot length of 2 inch PVC done the same as above

Now those small ones really do look like pipe bombs. eek.gif

miatablk.gif

[This message has been edited by jbmccarthy69 (edited 28 December 2001).]

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

So it looks like you've been getting a lot of work done on the job since you moved back to OK.......

icon_wink.gif

Yeah, tons...

1. Hanging out on the Groundspeak forums and making a general nuisance of myself
  2. Generating multiple versions of GeoBuddy for the tens of users who love it
  3. Planting caches in places few people visit
  4. Researching which GPS model to buy myself for Kwanzaa
  5. Do the job for which they pay me a salary

Not necessarily in that order in case my Boss is reading icon_smile.gif

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

So it looks like you've been getting a lot of work done on the job since you moved back to OK.......

icon_wink.gif

Yeah, tons...

1. Hanging out on the Groundspeak forums and making a general nuisance of myself
  2. Generating multiple versions of GeoBuddy for the tens of users who love it
  3. Planting caches in places few people visit
  4. Researching which GPS model to buy myself for Kwanzaa
  5. Do the job for which they pay me a salary

Not necessarily in that order in case my Boss is reading icon_smile.gif

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest sbukosky

I'm presently experimenting with camouflage netting. Wal-Mart has it. I'm using Rubber maid containers and wrapping them in the neting to disguise it. I'll see how it holds up through the winter and if people will take the time to rewrap it when the find it.

ive been considering gluing natural items such as leaves sticks twigs, or rocks to the cache, but the expanding foam/paint idea seems like it would work too, and be a lot lighter.

Guest Choberiba

Welch: I've been considering gluing natural items such as leaves sticks twigs, or rocks to the cache, but the expanding foam/paint idea seems like it would work too, and be a lot lighter.

Looking at TresOkies stump, and remember what the fake "burl" caches I made using the same expand-o-foam look like.

I'm starting to wonder if they'll pass muster from anyone who's made one.

TresOkies did a great job, don't get me wrong.

But I could tell it's a foam stump right away, something I don't recall being able to do when the original Leno*-stump was introduced.

*Leno? Lemo? .... What's his handle?

Guest jbmccarthy69

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

And to think I just start with clay jars and add navy nail polish camo.

Is that the official stuff the Nave Seals use to disguise their fingers?

miatablk.gif

Guest Hamster

I just bought a pre-cammo treated plastic o-ring Ammobox from Gander mountain. Just like the ones they sell on the site. Should blend in well. Call me lazy. icon_smile.gif I just don't have the still, or know where to get cammo colors for spray paint or fleckstone paint etc.

cache%20container.jpg

Guest Hamster

I just bought a pre-cammo treated plastic o-ring Ammobox from Gander mountain. Just like the ones they sell on the site. Should blend in well. Call me lazy. icon_smile.gif I just don't have the still, or know where to get cammo colors for spray paint or fleckstone paint etc.

cache%20container.jpg

Model railroad hobby shops have small rubber-mould sheets for pressing very natural-looking rock stiata lines into plaster of paris for track layouts. Then you paint it and maybe add dusty stuff. Wonder if you could use these somehow to make artificial rocks. Talk to a model train person or club about your problem. He/they would have some ideas. Your hpbby shop could tell you who to call.

Guest sidewinder

The camo storage box from Gander Mountain pictured in this thread looks like very, very, similar to the one at the Geocaching gear store. I don't know what the difference in price was but I think when I purchase one I will support the Geocaching.com web site.

sidewinder

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

TresOskies,

I love the variety of your cache containers. I really like the microwave one in the background. Ingenious!

He forgot the camo paint! Also, I'm curious, how long is the extension cord?

alan2

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

He forgot the camo paint! Also, I'm curious, how long is the extension cord?

Long enough to plug in next to the portable refrigerator and the port-a-potty.

You missed the other hidden container--the "4 year-old perpetual playscape" also known as a large empty box.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631