Alternative to silica packets

Mr. 0

I was just reading a woodworking magazine and there was a great idea in there that could apply to us also. I know a lot of people use the little silica packs in their caches to keep them nice and dry. I also know that many other people ask where to get them and maybe don't want to buy a bunch of them since they usually come in bulk. Well it turns out that Tidy Cat Crystals cat-box filler is made mostly of silica granules. So their suggestion was to tie a little bit up in some old nylon stockings, and close off the top. Then you have a homemade silica gel packet. icon_cool.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

You can revive them by putting them in a warm (200 deg) oven for an hour or so.

Seems like you could add a ziploc full of silica packs to your standard gear. When you go to check on your cache, replace the old packs with the fresh ones and take the old ones home to be recharged.

Caching without music is like swimming without water.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

I know a lot of people use the little silica packs in their caches to keep them nice and dry.

Oh, so that's what those things are. I thought they were someone's signature item, so everytime I see one in a cache I've been taking it for my collection! icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding!

quote:
Originally posted by btouch:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

I know a lot of people use the little silica packs in their caches to keep them nice and dry.

Oh, so that's what those things are. I thought they were someone's signature item, so everytime I see one in a cache I've been taking it for my collection! icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding!

Sometimes they are signature items!

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895