Very SNEAKY cache container designs and hiding places

Sparrowhawk

I spotted a book awhile back called "How to Hide Things in Public Places" by some author named Dennis Fiery. Now that I am into geocaching, I wish I had gotten the copy I was browsing at the time. Loompanics.com is supposed to stock it. I may still get it.

Anyway... I am curious about deliberately devious caches. All the ways you can hide something in complete plain sight so cleverly that it makes a seeker go "ARRRRRGGGH!!" when they find they have been practically tromping all over that devious container/hiding place the whole time. Any stories out there?

I won't share some of the completely devious ideas I already have and may yet try... but it would be interesting to find out what other folks have done...

-Elana

"Defenestrate XP!"

quote:
Originally posted by falcospav:

I won't share some of the completely devious ideas I already have and may yet try... but it would be interesting to find out what other folks have done...

-Elana

"Defenestrate XP!"

The same reason you won't share is the same reason I won't share. You have to find it first.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

How about an old rotted stump hole. Clear out the debris, lay a painted piece of plywood across it and cover with leaves. No tattle-tell hump.

A wooden picket fence that has just one extra peice of wood... That's hollowed out for a micro.

A piece of wood that looks like just another strut under a bridge when really it's hollowed out for a micro.

A log hollowed out to cover an ammo box.

The space between struts of a boardwalk or bridge. Use a piece of screen to make a nest and put the box up in it.

The space between boards under a hand rail to hide a mirco which is attached with a magnet.

A dummy outlet box that holds a micro.

...just to name a few that either we've come across or I'm thinking about using.

CR

-- Insert pithy aphorism here --

Yes, there ARE plenty of devious containers and hiding places out there ... and that's why I won't divulge anyone's secrets.

But a few hints won't hurt ... man-made items one would expect to find in an area would probably go unnoticed by a non-cacher. Also, imitation natural objects work great, especially if well done and naturally placed. People also have a tendency to look at eye level and lower, but not up ... so don't forget to consider that element.

I find that the more devious cache placements are ones where there are a bunch (or at least a few) good candidate hiding spots, but the actually cache is nearby, often well hidden in an area that looks like you couldn't hide anything. Those are the ones that give me fits...

quote:
Originally posted by falcospav:

I spotted a book awhile back called "How to Hide Things in Public Places" by some author named Dennis Fiery. Now that I am into geocaching, I wish I had gotten the copy I was browsing at the time. Loompanics.com is supposed to stock it. I may still get it.

-Elana

"Defenestrate XP!"

They also have that book at Amazon.com for $15 Clickey. It says it'll ship in 1-2 business days.

Went looking for a cache last weekend. We searched the area for a good 20 minutes before reading the cache page and clue. An ammo box near the ground. Still couldn't find it.

Turns out, someone stoll the ammo box, took everything and left it in a brown paper bag. We had seen the paper bag when we first got there and joked "there it is" and then continuted with the search. Finally, we picked up the bag and found all the contents, including the log book, in the bag.

Brown Paper bag, urban cammo.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
We had seen the paper bag when we first got there and joked "there it is" and then continuted with the search. Finally, we picked up the bag and found all the contents, including the log book, in the bag.

Brown Paper bag, urban cammo.

In this instance: trash out, cache in. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by eroom:

Here's one that I did. Cache hunters seemed to like it.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/display/6794_300.jpg

The container only lasted a few months before it started to decompose. Synthetic materials would work better.

That is a cool idea. I've seen one around here by "Cliffy" that used monofoam for the imitation bark.

Here is a log entry pic of some cachers holding it.

210893_200.jpg

"Software isn't released, it's allowed to escape."

I called my local library and had them locate a copy of "How to Hide Things in Public Places" for me. Now that I've got it I half expect to see black helicopters hovering over my house! Interesting book . . . makes me wonder about the author's background.

It's interesting to see that as research for the book he created a geocaching-like game back in the mid 90's that he called "The Concealment Project." All-in-all, he's not coming from the same place most of us are, but he's got some interesting ideas . . . some of which are adaptable for our purposes. However, from some of the caches I've seen (especially urban micros) I think there are some cachers out there who could give him a run for his money.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44