How much geolitter is out there?

sbell111

I was taking a walk down memory lane the other day when I came upon this cache. It was one of the very first caches that I found. When I logged the find, I noted that the owner had posted that it had been removed, but it was still there. I also sent him an email (I think). The owner of this cache has long since vanished.

I was a newbie and the cache isn't near my home so I didn't think to go check up on it. I soon forgot about the whole thing.

This weekend, I was in the area yet again failing to complete A182pilot's terrific Ticks & Poison Ivy. I did a short search of where I remembered the cache being hidden and I found it. A year alone in the weather had not been good to the cache. The tupperware had popped open and was full of water, mud and bugs. I tossed those items that were destroyed, saved the pages of the log that had been signed, and I'll put the few undamaged items in a new cache.

I wonder how many old archived caches still sit in the woods, waiting to be removed.

they just get archived. But some cachers have made the suggestion of adopting such caches. Sometimes someone will place one and then move or quit or lose interest or God forbid something more serious happened and the cache gets left behind. You can request the powers that be to let you adopt it, if you live close enough, or post in the area's local forums for someone to adopt it. Or do as you did since it was already archived, and salvage what's left. I don't know of any abandoned caches around here, but should we now all go search for archived caches just to make sure they are not still there? When someone archives a cache they should have the sensibilty and decency to actually remove it.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

When someone archives a cache they should have the sensibilty and decency to actually remove it.

But what if joecacher says, but "I didnt archive it, someone complainted it was XXX and then it got archived...." icon_razz.gif

As for double checking caches that have been archived, i'd only do it if theres was no indication from someone saying, "I removed the cache".

quote:
I don't know of any abandoned caches around here

how could you? once its archived it doesnt show up on standard searchs(?). So unless you have been to the cache or have a listing of all the GC ID numbers near you, you may not even know there was a cache there.

whack.gif

Sbell,

That business about archiving a cache (Along with the comment, "Cache removed!" no less.) and then not removing the cache is equivelant to littering... and you and and Planet pointed out.

As far as I know, there aren't any like that in my area, fortunately.

Jamie

I checked the cache page and the hider's page. He did say "This cache has been removed" He has hidden 3 and found 2 since 2001. I think this is a case of someone losing interest and just abandoning a cache and saying it's removed so he doesn't have to be bothered with it. If this is the case, shame on him. If something has happened to him, hope he's ok. If he moved, he should have taken his cache with him or had someone adopt it.

Cache you later,

Planet

thepuck said "Cache removed!" and the profile says the last time this person logged into the site was 5/2/2002 (over 5 months ago) so i think your right, this person probly has lost interest in geocaching.

quote:
...and just abandoning a cache and saying it's removed so he doesn't have to be bothered with it. If this is the case, shame on him. If something has happened to him, hope he's ok. If he moved, he should have taken his cache with him or had someone adopt it.

I agree 100%, the worst part of the whole thing is that this person CLAIMED that the cache was not out there, when they KNEW for a fact it was. icon_frown.gif

whack.gif

I'm planning to "move" one of my caches to a better location, in the same general area (about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from its current location). The cache I'm moving has been visited a lot, and so I'm planning to leave a container at the old location with a note explaining that its been moved, and the co-ords and GCXXXX waypoint ID of the new cache.

The original cache will be archived, and the new location will be an entirely new cache. I feel ok doing that, because it'll be in a totally different spot, and a significantly different amount of hiking involved to get to it, as compared to the current cache.

I'm handling it that way since I've had several people make repeat visits to the location with family and friends, or who just stop by when they're in the area because its easy to remember and a neat spot. It would be a let-down for them to go back and find that the container isn't there anymore icon_frown.gif

Certainly I think its stupid and lazy for somebody to archive a cache on the site, and then leave the container out there as geotrash.

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStop:

Ah, come on mr. snazz, you've got to agree that the majority (majority, not all, not even vast majority) of geocaches are crapola.

How can I possibly agree with a forum poster who has no discernable caching history, and apparently exists solely for the purpose of trolling? icon_smile.gif

At least I troll with my pants on.

snazzsig.jpg