pepper spray in cache?

carleenp

I wonder if someone left a can or pen of pepper spray in the box and it leaked due to the cold weather? Many of the cheapo brands are fragile and have been known to go off accidentally.

That or there is some sick puppy in Kansas that gets off on trying to booby trap the caches.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

I wonder if someone left a can or pen of pepper spray in the box and it leaked due to the cold weather? Many of the cheapo brands are fragile and have been known to go off accidentally.

That or there is some sick puppy in Kansas that gets off on trying to booby trap the caches.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

I tend to think it was accidental too. Another cacher was there 2 days before, and no problems. Would love someone to check on it now.

On another note related to another current thread:

whats with the cache hider logging 4 "finds" on his cache?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The cacher that logged about the spray was there a few days before and then came back and found the cache had been pepper sprayed (the logs say he liked the cache so much he was bringing his daughter back to find it). There was one logged visitor in between (the person who was there 2 days before) who listed items left (no pepper spray listed) and mentioned no problems. It looks like someone sprayed the cache within 24 hours of when it was found.

I don't think it was an accident, but if it was, then I think pepper spray is a stupid thing to leave in a cache!

pokeanim3.gif

I sure hope this wasn't done on purpose and was an accident.

However, I think it could have been an accident by a personal experience...

I was asked to do a computer animation of how pepper spray sprays out of the container (distance, spread, etc.) for the local police department for a training video.

They provided me a container of the pepper spray so I could make the 3D computer animation as "realistic" as possible. I put the pepper spray in my car and left it in there overnight.

When I brought it inside and started to work on the animation, I was overcome by the smell from the pepper spray. Just the difference in temperature from the cold car to the warm room was causing the container to leak.

Since this could happen every day & night in the cache, I could see how it would really smell.

Just my two cents...

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

[This message was edited by bradtal on January 23, 2003 at 12:54 PM.]

Took another look at Lexxor's finds. He/they are located in Louisiana, but have finds all over the country in just a few weeks of caching. They found this cache on Dec 28, then one in Nebraska on Dec 29, then found it AGAIN (peppersprayed) on Dec 31. Ok, weird, but surely not imposssible. They also logged caches in both Louisiana and Texas Jan.19th. Still weird, still not impossible. Heres where it gets REALLY bizzare. The cacher that found the cache on Dec.29th, Rogue Ranger, presumably not pepper sprayed, ALSO logged the same cache in Nebraska that Lexxor did, on the same day as Lexxor, Dec 29th. Weird enough?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, or what it means, but something smells more like seafood then pepper spray.........

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Very interesting!

The Kansas and Nebraska caches are fairly close together (although not alot) so I can see two people hitting those in succession. The Louisiana and hop to Texas thing is wierd, but the guy's logs sound legit. He could have taken a trip and logged them all when he got home, using that date for all of them. Still, it is odd.

You know, I'm going to Kansas on a track very near that cache in mid Febuary. I might just check it out and see if the container smells like pepper spray. I suppose some of the smell would still be lingering by then if it really was sprayed in the cache?

pokeanim3.gif