As long as we all seem to be venting grievances...

Guest Markwell

Guest Markwell

Let's see - here's a thread venting about a cache that may disappear. Here's another thread venting about people not labelling their caches correctly.

My vent: people who post the same question as a new topic. If you've got a new question about Geocaching, how difficult is it to use that little "Search" button to try to find something in the forums - or at the least expand the date range to the past 30 days.

I know that not everyone has the time to devote to reading historical threads, so I'm willing to cut a little slack: If you don't see your topic in and of the forums within the last 30 days, then it might be worth re-asking. But please make an effort to see if the question has been posted recently. Save us all a lot of time.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Hawk-eye

Very annoying isn't it ...

Now ... roll back away from the moniter .... 10 deep breaths ... and things will get better. icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest Hawk-eye

Very annoying isn't it ...

Now ... roll back away from the moniter .... 10 deep breaths ... and things will get better. icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 21 February 2002).]

One of the first things I noticed after being on the forums for a bit is how the same topics rotate through here on almost a predictable cycle.

I've also noticed a recent trend in newbie questions being posted on the General Board. Don't get me wrong, newbie questions are probably the single most important part of these forums. But there IS a place for them, the Getting Started board. The description on the General Board is, afterall,

quote:
If you have a topic that doesn't quite fit anywhere else, post it here.

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Now ... roll back away from the moniter .... 10 deep breaths ... and things will get better

squeak... squeak... squeak...

AGHHHH! CRASH RUMBLE moan...

(gotta move the computer desk off this cliff)

Guest VentureForth

o new eyes. There ain't nuthin' wrong with keepin' logs on the fire. If we all shut up and looked at the old logs, the little red folders would go away to the yellow ones. Nothing new to repeat and people stop logging on. When there is new stuff, it gets talked about.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the merry go round.

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

Guest VentureForth

As the community of cachers slowly grow and change, old topics will arise to new eyes. There ain't nuthin' wrong with keepin' logs on the fire. If we all shut up and looked at the old logs, the little red folders would go away to the yellow ones. Nothing new to repeat and people stop logging on. When there is new stuff, it gets talked about.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the merry go round.

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

Guest glenn95630

Sounds like arffer has his computer set up on Half Dome. icon_wink.gif

This may help the venting process. What is the most repeated question?

How come the Topozone point is different from real life?

How do I convert seconds to minutes?

What is the distance between lines of latitude (Confession time - that was my first ever post (since then I did get the rabies shots))

Guest glenn95630

Sounds like arffer has his computer set up on Half Dome. icon_wink.gif

This may help the venting process. What is the most repeated question?

How come the Topozone point is different from real life?

How do I convert seconds to minutes?

What is the distance between lines of latitude (Confession time - that was my first ever post (since then I did get the rabies shots))

My favorite is:

How come when I look at my logs on the cache page is says {delete this log}, {encrypt this log}, and {upload images}? How do I get rid of that? rolleyes.gif

Jamie

Guest mikemtn

I thought I read through all the requirements to be a Geocacher but I guess I missed the one about having to be a rocket scientest to get your Geocaching license.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

My vent: people who post the same question as a new topic. If you've got a new question about Geocaching, how difficult is it to use that little "Search" button to try to find something in the forums - or at the least expand the date range to the past 30 days.

If we didn't post the same threads over and over, you guys with 1K posts or more couldn't enlighten us with the locations of the old ones. [ icon_wink.gif] In a sense, a few of you are 'improved intelligence search engines' that can point us to exactly what we're looking for.

"What's the best cache container, GeoJeeves?"

And besides, telling people to RTFF or the equivalent never has worked, never will work.

quote:

If we didn't post the same threads over and over, you guys with 1K posts or more couldn't enlighten us with the locations of the old ones. [ icon_wink.gif] In a sense, a few of you are 'improved intelligence search engines' that can point us to exactly what we're looking for.

"What's the best cache container, GeoJeeves?"

And besides, telling people to RTFF or the equivalent never has worked, never will work.

Thank you, mikemtn

I don't know what UBB is

I don't know what HTML is, (although I have heard of it)

I thought the search button at the top of the page searched the thread you were looking at, not all the threads on geocaching.com.

The first time I was ever in a chat room in my life (and I'm 40) was in ClayJar's geocache room. I was completely embarrassed because I didn't know how to actually talk in the room. I missed the little white bar for typing text at the bottom.

People who love me are proud of me for trying new things and for being willing to learn by asking questions even if the answers are obvious to everyone around me. And yes, I do give them a chuckle on a regular basis. Maybe that's why they keep me around.

Most of the folks on this thread so far are names I recognize from reading the forums for the past two months.

So are people who only know how to walk around outside and look for stuff not have the computer savvy to be part of this sport?

Guest DisQuoi

It's funny that you complain about people posting on subjects that have already been covered. The complaint from long-time forum participants that people should rely on historic threads is a very common and annoying one. Did you think that the topic of this thread was a fresh and new, never discussed idea? Yet here we all are ... responding again.

Guest Choberiba

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Now, where IS that rabid hamster?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Markwell has been channelling the heart and soul of my hydophobic mesocricetus auratus.

quote:
Originally posted by mikemtn:

I thought I read through all the requirements to be a Geocacher but I guess I missed the one about having to be a rocket scientest to get your Geocaching license.

Mikey old buddie old pal.

You really seem hell bent to lower standards around here. Why exactly is this?

I'm all for friendly, but people need to learn to wipe their feet and close the door behind them.

Guest Markwell

First, I would never say to anyone RTFF. That's rude. And don't misinterpret me by saying that I'm going off the deep end about people reposting the same stuff. I know that's the livelihood of discussion.

However, when the topic has been answered less than 10 days ago and the default display for this forum is topics in the last 10 days, I find that mildly frustrating.

In no way does that mean that only people with 100+ posts should Geocache. That was never my intention.

I'm not trying to sound elitist or flipant in my minor irritation. I don't even mind answering a question that's been asked before - and I'll usually make a reference to the original thread in the process, which takes extra effort on my part.

All I'm saying is that since it is available to read the topics covered or posted to in the last 10 days (and that's what it defaults to), at least have some courtesy to look at the forums before typing a new thread.

Glenn95630 asked what the most common questions are. These are what's on my version of the FAQ here:

• What do those blue barrels mean?
  • How do I convert an address to latitude/longitude?
  • MapBlast shows the coordinates in decimal format. How do I convert?
  • Why WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM datum and format?
  • I enetered the coordinates into my GPS for a new cache, but the map doesn't match up with the actual location. What am I doing wrong?
  • What are "signature items?"
  • What's a spoiler?
  • How are Waypoint Names Generated?
  • How do I make the "°" symbol when typing?
  • Which GPS unit should I buy?
  • What do I need a magnetic compass for and how do I triangulate?
  • What do the different ratings mean, and how should I rate the cache I placed?

Take it for what it's worth. I've vented and I'm done. I think this thread can close.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

quote:

Glenn95630 asked what the most common questions are. These are what's on my version of the FAQ here:

That's some great info! Can I add your Q&A to the Geocaching FAQ? Then I can post in the description of the newbie forum to go there for the whole story.

Jeremy

Guest MattandLaura

I agree people should do a search before asking but I disagree with a rude reply when someone does it. Most people who ask a question without searching are new and besides learning about Geocaching are learning how these boards work. Some people probably never been on Forum groups before. So instead of giving a rude reply to a repeat question use a standard FAQ about the search engine and how it works. My .02

Guest bunkerdave

Well, I guess I have been in here about as long (and as often) as anyone, so here's mine:

I really don't mind seeing the same topics come up over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (annoying, isn't it?) and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (having fun yet?) and over and over and over and over and over and over...etc...again. icon_biggrin.gif

IMO, if someone REALLY wants the best answer to their question, they do a search for old threads. Problem is, sometimes it doesn't work quite that easily. There are A TON of old threads, and people don't look in the "thread title manual" when they name new threads, so you are never quite sure whether you are getting the best threads or not. This is where Markwell, and Clayjar, and others of that ilk come in. They see the new threads (usually within 5 minutes of the new thread being posted, then they scan their incredible cerebral database for the title of the thread in which this particular question was asked. THEY do a search, which, because they read the WHOLE thread, comes up with only a couple of matches (miraculously) and then these wonderful public servants post the link for the old thread right in there for everyone to enjoy.

What problem?

------------------

BunkerDave

N 40° 7.081, W 111° 38.851

Guest bunkerdave

Well, I guess I have been in here about as long (and as often) as anyone, so here's mine:

I really don't mind seeing the same topics come up over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (annoying, isn't it?) and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (having fun yet?) and over and over and over and over and over and over...etc...again. icon_biggrin.gif

IMO, if someone REALLY wants the best answer to their question, they do a search for old threads. Problem is, sometimes it doesn't work quite that easily. There are A TON of old threads, and people don't look in the "thread title manual" when they name new threads, so you are never quite sure whether you are getting the best threads or not. This is where Markwell, and Clayjar, and others of that ilk come in. They see the new threads (usually within 5 minutes of the new thread being posted, then they scan their incredible cerebral database for the title of the thread in which this particular question was asked. THEY do a search, which, because they read the WHOLE thread, comes up with only a couple of matches (miraculously) and then these wonderful public servants post the link for the old thread right in there for everyone to enjoy.

What problem?

------------------

BunkerDave

N 40° 7.081, W 111° 38.851

My normal course of action when I see yet another post requesting the same information of a recent post is to simply ignore it. I certainly don't read each and every post on these boards - not nearly enough time in the day.

There's no need to take it upon yourself to answer these posts with links to previous like threads. If they annoy you pass them over and stick to those which are of interest to you.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by JamieZ:

Markwell,

I think Jeremy has finally answered your long-awaited question.

Jamie

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Hallelujah!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

And Jeremy (and others), if you're wondering why Jamie and I are laughing so much, it's from a thread that I started WAYYYY back in August.

Of course, Jeremy, I give you direct permission to use my FAQ information on the Geocaching.com page. I wouls suggest, though, that the FAQ would be large enough that it would need a table of content like mine has (be nice if I got a little credit for my work as well, but in ). Also feel free to use any of the graphics I've created or lifted from the web.

Finally, if you see any errors, let me know as I plan on keeping my FAQ up in case I need to add to it or change information.

On a side note, it seems that you had been distinctly absent (read: unusually silent) from Geocaching for quite a while - so much so that a few people in the forums were asking who Jeremy was.

Now I notice that you have, within a week's time, implemented new maps, a fun new archived cache page, the Geocaching Photo Album, the divided logs and another project you responded personally to me that you're working on.

Did you decide to take a vacation from your real job and type code the entire time?

LOVE the changes (except for the divided logs - but I can live with the work-around).

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest Markwell

has (be nice if I got a little credit for my work as well, but in ). Also feel free to use any of the graphics I've created or lifted from the web.

Finally, if you see any errors, let me know as I plan on keeping my FAQ up in case I need to add to it or change information.

On a side note, it seems that you had been distinctly absent (read: unusually silent) from Geocaching for quite a while - so much so that a few people in the forums were asking who Jeremy was.

Now I notice that you have, within a week's time, implemented new maps, a fun new archived cache page, the Geocaching Photo Album, the divided logs and another project you responded personally to me that you're working on.

Did you decide to take a vacation from your real job and type code the entire time?

LOVE the changes (except for the divided logs - but I can live with the work-around).

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by JamieZ:

Markwell,

I think Jeremy has finally answered your long-awaited question.

Jamie

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Hallelujah!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

And Jeremy (and others), if you're wondering why Jamie and I are laughing so much, it's from a thread that I started WAYYYY back in August.

Of course, Jeremy, I give you direct permission to use my FAQ information on the Geocaching.com page. I wouls suggest, though, that the FAQ would be large enough that it would need a table of content like mine has (be nice if I got a little credit for my work as well, but in ). Also feel free to use any of the graphics I've created or lifted from the web.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

quote:

First, I would never say to anyone RTFF. That's rude. And don't misinterpret me by saying that I'm going off the deep end about people reposting the same stuff. I know that's the livelihood of discussion.

and I'll usually make a reference to the original thread in the process, which takes extra effort on my part.

eek.gifZzzzap!! Think we got our wires crossed.

What I meant was that those like you who post links to the old threads are helping new cachers out. The RTFF comment was meant to be a _contrast_ to what you are doing, not a _comparison_. I personally like it when someone puts in the "extra effort" to keep threads crosslinked.

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:

Now, where IS that rabid hamster?

===

quote:
Which was followed by Choberiba's comment:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Markwell has been channelling the heart and soul of my hydophobic mesocricetus auratus.

When I first began reading Markwell's post, I could almost hear Mopar or Choberiba speaking this aloud (which is pretty good since I've never heard either of their voices... more's the pity), so it is no surprise that I find this here.

My .02's worth:

Historically, this will continue to be an issue as long as the Rabid Hamsters, er, I mean, new users (which we were ALL ones at some point, no matter our age) are invited to swell the ranks of the existing geocachers.

Not to drop doo-doo in your coffee cup, Markwell, but there really is no fix for this without some type of "forum ettiquette" spelled out that must be read before one clicks on the "Let me into this forum" button. But even then, when one is only looking for the button to get in, human nature dictates that the "ettiquette" requirements will be breezed over to get to that button.

We all just have burning questions that no one else could ever have had cross their minds, even though we are hoping that those same people HAVE experienced it enough to inform us in our need and haste.

From a metamorphosed RH...

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

http://www.geogadgets.com

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

[This message has been edited by RedwoodRed (edited 08 February 2002).]

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I got tired of the some "computer-experts" asking OLD questions... I used to be happy to help people, but not too much now. READ THE BOOK!

I don't like 'helpful' people tell a newbie that they need a new software to run a GPS. Get a grip... nice that you are so advanced, but some aren't. Just a basic understanding of the unit and how it works to Datum/display is needed.

I use a system that is hard. Charting RADAR/GPS/sounder and others. I have 2 or 3 people's lives at my decision.

I like geocaching because it strips off to the hard-core. Find a place and go home. Figure out the basics then go deeper into navigation.

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:

... However, when the topic has been answered less than 10 days ago and the default display for this forum is topics in the last 10 days, I find that mildly frustrating.

In no way does that mean that only people with 100+ posts should Geocache. That was never my intention.

I'm not trying to sound elitist or flipant in my minor irritation. I don't even mind answering a question that's been asked before - and I'll usually make a reference to the original thread in the process, which takes extra effort on my part.

Take it for what it's worth. I've vented and I'm done. I think this thread can close.

Ha ha ha! What a great sense of humor! "In no way does that mean that only people with 100+ posts should Geocache." Ha ha ha!

Have ya ever noticed that the most prolific forum posters seem to rarely "get out there and get dirty?" They really should. The endorphins released will put them in a less cranky mood.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Have ya ever noticed that the most prolific forum posters seem to rarely "get out there and get dirty?" They really should. The endorphins released will put them in a less cranky mood.

Speaking of getting dirty, I hear a certain cache calling your name, Mark! Trust me, its a real kick in the rear endorphins!

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 08 February 2002).]

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:

Speaking of getting dirty, I hear a certain cache calling your name, Mark! Trust me, its a real kick in the rear endorphins!

Yes, I noticed your log earlier today, Chris. I really wish I had been there with a videocam to capture your "creature from the black lagoon" impersonation as you walked back to your car, caked in muck. A priceless moment, for sure!

Guess I'll have to get to that one, just so I can read the "uncut and uncensored" version of your log.

[This message has been edited by BassoonPilot (edited 09 February 2002).]

Guest Chris Juricich

I imagine.

But it's the nature of web pages to go through cycles. Fortunately, most of the people who post here are interested and aren't going to be full of attitude. Unlike other hobbies I've been involved in (comics collecting) wherein the major web pages of messageboards have become full of sophomoric banter. If one suspects that to read comics one has to have a minimum attention span of perhaps 15 minutes, then one shouldn't be surprised at how the posts can be measured from the moronic to the pathetic. At least with geocaching, you've got to keep your attention on a task for anywhere from about thirty minutes to a couple of hours. That's a testament to staying power.

Guest Chris Juricich

It's true that there's a measure of repetition as new fans of the activity/hobby make their way. A FAQ somewhere has already probably been suggested, I imagine.

But it's the nature of web pages to go through cycles. Fortunately, most of the people who post here are interested and aren't going to be full of attitude. Unlike other hobbies I've been involved in (comics collecting) wherein the major web pages of messageboards have become full of sophomoric banter. If one suspects that to read comics one has to have a minimum attention span of perhaps 15 minutes, then one shouldn't be surprised at how the posts can be measured from the moronic to the pathetic. At least with geocaching, you've got to keep your attention on a task for anywhere from about thirty minutes to a couple of hours. That's a testament to staying power.

I've answered some questions and then skipped answering when the same question was asked again because I get bored. That's OK. Let others answer the same question. There's a need in everyone to be a mentor. We love sharing our knowledge and experience (some ego there, but that serves the function). We love being parents and training others and influencing the decisions they make. (I'm trying to do that now - with you!) So what if it's asked again. It'll be another newbie but it will also give another aspiring "mentor" the chance to teach serving that apparant need in all of us and actually helping others along the way.

If I couldn't "teach" from time to time, and had to just read others "instructions" in some sort of a master FAQ file, as somehow they're the "right" answer or the "only" answer, I probably will stop coming to this forum.

So would you!

Alan

Guest LindaLu

I came across the expression "sour as a grue" on another topic....I didn't even know what a grue was before that...hmmm.....

I think we need to get outside more, treat people (even the dreaded newbies) with more respect and common courtesy, and just ignore the posts we don't want to deal with....

Just my opinion...Happy Hunting!!!

Guest Markwell

As I said many times before in this thread: it was a minor annoyance. Please don't try to make me into the bad guy here. If it was a major annoyance, I wouldn't have over 1K posts, and I wouldn't be visiting here all the time.

For those of you that missed it before, I do have an FAQ in addition to Jeremy's, and above he asked if he could incorporate it into his page. I agreed.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

markwell, I think it's just that writing is different than the spoken word, and you are very direct, so sometimes what you write seems harsh when we read it and hear it in our heads. That's why so many folks use smilies and lots of punctuation ... give us time, we'll get used to your candor icon_smile.gif

markwell, I think it's just that writing is different than the spoken word, and you are very direct, so sometimes what you write seems harsh when we read it and hear it in our heads. That's why so many folks use smilies and lots of punctuation ... give us time, we'll get used to your candor icon_smile.gif

Guest Vagabond

Well we were all newbies at one time or another, some asked questions, some didn't.

just look and see how many posts a person has posted and when they signed up. Makes one wonder why some people have so much free time on there hands, or are they that rabid about the game??????

Myself, I don't mind answering questions over, unless it's by the same person icon_biggrin.gif:

Guest Vagabond

Well we were all newbies at one time or another, some asked questions, some didn't.

just look and see how many posts a person has posted and when they signed up. Makes one wonder why some people have so much free time on there hands, or are they that rabid about the game??????

Myself, I don't mind answering questions over, unless it's by the same person icon_biggrin.gif:

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Markwell:

I bow before you.

I grovel at your feet.

I just read your FAQ's page and I am humbled.

Your boosting of my ego is nice but unnecessary. As I said on my FAQ page...

?I was trained as a teacher (music) at ISU, and I love helping people understand stuff. I still kinda feel like I'm teaching when I post information to a needed question.?

But I do think the best part of this forum and of the geocaching public is that we bounce ideas off of each other and aren't terribly offended if someone takes an idea and improves on it. (See Blackjak's Idea for The Photographer's Cache here).

I was just about ready to go ahead and delete this entire thread - as people seemed to have taken my venting a little too harshly and personally. I won't zap it out of existence, but I think it can be closed (hint: Jeremy).

============================

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

My laptop crashed. Can you help me?

Did you try holding it over your head and shaking it?

And now - in French.

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 09 February 2002).]