What's your state's (or country's) "style" ?

I just GOTTA know!

The joke here in Florida is that every cache is hidden under a palmetto branch. When I was caching in the Triangle (Go TAG!) in North Carolina, it seemed that most of the caches were hidden in the root ball of a fallen tree.

With that little tidbit of information bouncing around in my cranium I hid 2 caches in Florida in the root balls of fallen trees and named them "North Carolina Style" (GCG6GX) and "North Carolina Style North" (GCGHT7).

OK OK OK Here's the thing I GOTTA KNOW.

What is the "style" of your state? What is the cliche hiding spot? C'mon now - don't get uppity on me. I KNOW there's some hide method that is done MUCH more than any other in your area. I just want to know what it is. I will probably honor your state's "style" with a new cache somewhere in my stomping grounds if possible. Maybe I'll even make it into a king sized series!

hmmmm..... except maybe for Alaska's..... not too many piles of snow here in Florida. (flame on AK dudes - I can take it!)

Thanks!

Jim

P.S. If I don't reply - I'm out gathering palmetto branches.

Get yo' mama to push the car!

It used to be the lame ammo box in a hollow tree, where you already figured out from 100 feet away. Also the tupperware against the base of a tree piled high with a pyramid of sticks to resemble a campfire.

Lately I think a lot of progress has been made with the new popularity of micro caches. They are usually hidden very well and require a good search. Micros could be hidden anywhere, so I don't think they can fall into any style catagory.

I did notice caching in NC recently that a number of folks liked those fake rocks (the ones with the secret compartment).

As for here in MS, it depends. I'm sure some of my state brethren will chime in as well, but we've been evolving over the past year...various hide techniques and containers have become trendy from time to time (ask anyone who's gone after any of my micros lately!).

One constant we do have, though, is that the law of averages says if you do enough caches in MS, eventually your feet are gonna get wet, so wear those boots! And if you cache mid-state, you're gonna end up in an area where plenty of bushwhacking, and poor signal due to canopy, will be involved ("...but it was fine when I placed the cache in December!" is the common refrain from those hiders! icon_biggrin.gif )

-Dave R. in Biloxi

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

Arizona-style: Rock-pile.

Just about any cache hidden in a rural desert area is covered by rocks in one form or another. Others are rocks themselves, at least they appear to be.

Brian

Team A.I.

Good one! Exactly what I'm looking for. Look out Florida - Arizona Style cache is coming soon. It might take me a while to gather the rocks.... heck I might have to BUY them! LOL!

Jim

Here in Central Illinois it's definitely the stickpile/hole in tree/root ball fo a fallen tree. Even my 11 year old daughter has gotten to the point where she says, "Oh yeah...fallen tree...it's over there."

While I love finding a nice big ammo box in the woods, Cachew is right, the micros have potential to really make you think.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

This is all generalizations, but in Mississippi, it depends on the region.

Gulf Coast: It's a micro

Southwest: It's in a plastic container wrapped in a plastic bag.

Central: It's in a briar patch

Northwest: It's in a very public spot

Northeast: It's on the side of the parking lot.

East Central: It's gonna take you all day for just one.

Delta: It's a long way to the next one.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

This is all generalizations, but in Mississippi, it depends on the region.

Gulf Coast: It's a micro

Southwest: It's in a plastic container wrapped in a plastic bag.

Central: It's in a briar patch

Northwest: It's in a very public spot

Northeast: It's on the side of the parking lot.

East Central: It's gonna take you all day for just one.

Delta: It's a long way to the next one.

Yeah, Pater, like you would know about the Coast, Mr. "I get a nosebleed if I venture south of Meridian!" icon_biggrin.gif

-Dave R. in Biloxi, aka Mr. "I don't cache in East Central anymore since that coyote/dog incident!"

Without a doubt the best camo job I've ever seen used on a cache was the one I had the most trouble with, yet it was right in front of my eyes, taunting me the entire time.

A match-painted Altoids tin, hidden amongst small rocks (small volcanic or granite .5" or less), with pieces of that rock hot-glued to the top of the container. It was then placed with the glued rocks level with the rest of the rocks on the ground. Unless you looked just right, or recognized the tell-tale rock scraping metal, you never saw it. One took me 3 trips and a VERY good clue, the other took 3 trips and my own cache log e-mailed to me about the first cache before I found it. If anyone wants a picture, I'll upload one when I get home. Nothing like spending 6 hours to find 2 caches over a period of 6 trips. Sad thing is, I can find a 1/4"x3/8" super micro easier than I can find these.

Brian

Team A.I.

taunt

Of the 60-some caches I found in central Indiana, most are ammo boxes behind a fallen tree and *bark-o-flauged* or covered with sticks.

Most caches here also require some bushwhacking through stinging nettles or briars, and involve a fair number of mosquitos.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by Tahosa:

In Colorado we have some mountains that have some nice rock piles.

Beautiful view! You don't see that down here. What you see in Florida is more like....

1778921_500.jpg

and a beautiful passion flower growing wild:

1778921_200.JPG

but also banana spiders such as this 5-6" specimen. You don't want to run into one of their webs because sometimes they don't break. Very scary!

1778921_400.JPG

I hope that worked.

Jim

[This message was edited by paintfiction on August 24, 2003 at 10:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by paintfiction on August 24, 2003 at 10:35 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Hmm where could it be? I know it's in the _stump_.

http://www_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, Leatherman is right about the stumps in the Pacific Northwest (we joke about all the clues that say "stumped again?"). The other typical hide is the Parallel Sticks Rule -- look for piles of parallel sticks beneath the ferns or next to fallen trees. Sticks just don't fall naturally into parallel stacks.

Cin

[This message was edited by CachinCin on August 24, 2003 at 11:48 PM.]

California is non-conformist. We're a pretty eclectic bunch. If you want to do a California style rural cache it would have to be a long multi with parts in high grass, (pun intended,) a waypoint in a Redwood grove, one under a sandy dune bush, part in the rocks, a leg in a hollow tree, another waypoint in the sticks or debris of an oak log, and the final cache in poison oak.

You don't even want to think about the urban micros... WAY too many variations.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

We seem to have a bit of everything. Stumps, bark-o-flage and a lot of caches in rock crevices and at the base of fallen trees.

What we don't have thankfully, are caches wrapped in plastic garbage bags. This practice seems to be popular in other areas.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 25, 2003 at 03:15 AM.]

Stumps are pretty popular here in Ohio. I'd say the most popular hide is next to or in a hollow in a fallen tree (or, if available, in the fork of a fallen tree) covered up with a pile of sticks. The most popular containers are of the tupperware/rubbermaid variety. Some are ammo boxes, but I have found more tupperware than anything.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

If there's a regional type, I guess it's fallen logs or stick piles. People here have been getting a lot more creative lately, though. It has slowed the appearance of new caches, but they're more interesting when they do show up.

Yes, I'm as guilty as anyone of having a cache with the "You must be stumped" clue.

All nice pictures, though I especailly like Paintfiction's. That spider pic is fantastic!

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

Yep. Stick piles and stumps seems to be it here. My favorite clues are:

"Under a fallen tree" (I wonder how many people have taken a second to see just how many fallen trees there are in the woods)

"Don't be stumped" (Heck... I even think I used this on one of mine.)

Brush piles, stick piles, and hollow stumps.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

In the Houston area the rule of thumb is camo. Academy can't keep camo tape on the shelves and a few days out caching will tell you why. Ain't that right Robertlipe? icon_wink.gif The evilness of some cachers in Houston is apparent in many of the hides that I have been to. The overall feeling is: that's the hardest 1/1 I ever found. icon_razz.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

Along the West Michigan lakeshore the caches tend to be on top of a large sand dune. Once way from the beaches, they are in tree stumps heavily guarded by skeeters, or under boardwalks in parks near the rivers.

(We capitalize West to make it seem like we are a different state from the other side of Michigan where Detroit is. Its nice over here.)

"They don't serve breakfast in hell" - newsboys

Hey paintfiction -

If you need rocks, ask The Federation; he's been using them a lot in G'ville!

During a trip to NC/TN, we found it was usually an abnormal looking pile of sticks, sometimes next to the fallen tree. Yeah, right. And I love the hints that say "behind a fallen tree" in a forest with hundreds of fallen trees! Oh well, if you need the hints, you shouldn't be caching, right icon_wink.gif

Nebraska is all about bark-o-flage! I have to admit that one of mine meets that. It often is the only good way to hide something here. We don't have many rock piles and such. Just open parks with some trees.

quote:
<exagerated generalization> In CA you don't need a gps to find micros. Theres one hidden under every single lamp post. </exagerated generalization>

That's funny because here there aren't any of those. I don't know of a single one in my city. So, I just made one! I figured it would be a new thing to many people here.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
In South Dakota Central and East, it seems to be under a cedar/juniper tree.

Yeah a lot of that in Nebraska too. Oh Geeze, my other regular cache meets that one. I have to get more creative! Of course, I did put my two full size ones in neat locations, so the hide was secondary and a matter of circumstances. The juniper tree was my only decent choice at that one. Either that or just set it in the tall grass, so I chose the tree!

pokeanim3.gif

Since Arizona has already claimed rock piles, I'll nominate old car parts as a popular method here in southern Nevada. Sometimes, the desert doesn't even have rocks but there are lots of abandoned cars and miscellaneous parts lying about.

But my favorite hide (so far) is the 5-gallon bucket buried in the pet cemetary.

Just don't let Kirk show you what he affectionately calls the 'Captain's Log'

icon_rolleyes.gif

Well lets see, here in So Ca I can honestly say all of the above, plus cactus patches, and seaweed, most are in either tupperware or rubbermaid containers, or the old standby ammo box I just look for the oddest looking thing in the area, rock piles sticks piled up a pile of leaves

All who look are not lost

quote:
Originally posted by VistaCrewzers:

Here in the Four Corners there doesn't seem to be a certain style. The terrain varies so much that you can expect anything from micro caches hanging in trees and ammo boxes covered with rocks to tupperware under hoodoos.

OK.... you got me. What's a hoodoo? (I have a feeling I'm going to feel dumb after this one)

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by paintfiction:

OK.... you got me. What's a hoodoo?

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition:

1. Hoo"doo, n. [Perh. a var. of voodoo.]

One who causes bad luck. [Colloq.]

2. Hoo"doo, v. t.

To be a hoodoo to; to bring bad luck to by occult influence; to bewitch. [Colloq., U. S.]

3.Hoo"doo, n.

A natural rock pile or pinnacle of fantastic shape. [Western U. S.]

I guess in this case it's #3.icon_smile.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

In New England, there are miles and miles of old stone walls in the middle of the woods and forests. It is my understanding that the walls were made by farmers from the 1700's and 1800's. It is common for geocachers in the area to hide the caches in the walls between the stones.

FISUR

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur

I'd like to see that - neat!

Lately most caches are micros, which as a novelty are interesting to find, but now there are so many it just gets annoying. The SC style for micros is a film canister attached to some discrete object (such as a brick or rock). The SC regular cache style is at the base of a tree (not necessarily fallen) covered in debris. Haven't seen a rockpile here yet, but I did this summer out west. Rockpiles must be a western thing.

I concurr with Snoogans' post about all Houston caches being in plastic drink containers with camo duct tape on them. Why is that?

Caches in south Dallas always seem to be in black plastic garbage bags. Ick! icon_rolleyes.gif

Caches in the Mid Cities area west of Dallas can often be found under discarded nursey plant containers. Really, anything that looks like trash just might be a cache in that area.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif