Need Solution For Bug Logging

Tiwica

I've noticed many problems with getting people to log Travel Bugs when they retrieve them from a cache. I think there should be a "REQUIRED" check box that asks; "Did you take this Travel Bug"? Yes or No..... It would be required in order to log the cache. Sure someone could still lie about it. But what's the point unless you're out kidnapping TB's for your collection. That at least would eliminate those that forget to log them or don't have them with them when they log (i.e. I left TB in the car and I logged the cache from work). Does this sound reasonable?

Edited by Tiwica

A checkbox or popup whenever there's a bug in the cache I'm trying to log, asking me if I took it? Sorry, no thanks. There are many times when I pass up a bug in order to leave it for someone else, or because I can't help its goal. Or, it may be on the cache page but already swiped. Why ask me, too, a month later?

At the last event cache I went to, there were about 20 bugs on the cache page when I logged my find for attending. Does that mean 20 checkmark boxes?

I share your frustration but I don't think this is the solution for it.

Makes sense. It would be something of a reminder for when you log the cache and your TB is sitting in the bottom of your pack and forgotton about already. Maybe something like that would prompt someone to grab that TB and log it at the same time. At least they couldn't get credit for the cache unless they check yes or no.

The problem would still be them just saying no to log the cache and blowing off the TB until later

I kinda like the idea... if yes is selected it could simply bring you to a log a TB page that has all the travel bugs in a drop down. Actually check boxes would be better for that. Check your box... create your log and drive on. Maybe make it look something like this...

If no is selected, the log is just submitted normally.

May want seperate logs for each tb... I don't know. I think the idea has merrit though.

There are at least 2 problems with bug logging: It's an awkward 2 screen process, and some newbies fail to recognize they have a pick-up bug activity to complete. When a process has flaws, they should be addressed. The current bug icon up in the corner looks like a flag, not a button.

I suggest having a pull-down on the cache page to pick up any cache-listed bug, just like the pull-down to drop a bug. Symmetry: They are a paired activities, and should have a similar interface. After bug selection and following hitting the log button, the bug's page should open to complete the logging job.

:) Me, I've got to stop collecting the things. That's the easiest solution.

I'd be willing to bet that a large portion of the problem comes from people who pick up a travelbug and move it without ever recording the TB number. Without the number, there is no way to log it. I don't have any "idiot-proof" solutions to this problem...anyone care to suggest a way to prevent it?

I think the best solution would be a yes or no question. If yes is selected then a pop up window asks you to complete the TB log activity. The pop up could even have a hyperlinked list of available TB's. Clicking on a TB link would move to the TB log activity and return you to your cache log after completeing.

This would make TB's and cache logs a one stop process.

One difficulty may be logging multiple TB's.

Any Thoughts?

When I brought this up, I knew it had flaws and those of you with more logs than this tadpole could reasonably come up with a solution. Thanks for hearing me out. Everyone has listed some very good points, but I still believe it could be streamlined to not be a pain to do. I like 4Agers & UMC suggestions. Just my thoughts.

Still a Tadpole :rolleyes:

I like that yes/no check box asking if you took a bug. Yes bringing the drop-down menu to select which bug you took. The first (and only)bug I found, I forgot about for a couple of days. This would be a good reminder, especially for someone who had been on a long hunt that involved several found caches and bugs.