Taking A Bug You've Had Before

Sloopy

Is it considered acceptable to take a travel bug you've had before and move it to another cache? As far as I can tell there aren't any rules against it, but I wasn't sure if it was something people do. There is a TB I've moved before that is now sitting in a cache I was planning on finding in the near future. Thanks! :)

I took the same TB two times when someone of my team took it in a event cache I couldn't go because he didn't know it was in my hands, and now I can't left it in any caches because each day i haven't go to work rains.

Some Travel Bugs are predestined to travel with the same geocachers for long time :)

I've done this without planning on doing it. We first found Sexy Santa on December 24, 2002, on the way up to Mom & Dad's and dropped him off after our travels on January 1, 2003, in Arlington, TX. On Jan 26, 2003, we found Sexy Santa again about 50 miles from home, so we moved him further on that day.

He has been my favorite travel bug to find, and I keep track of him still.

I see no problem with this... I think it would be pretty cool to meet up with a TB I've seen before!

30296_400.gif30296_1700.gif

I agree. Some of the bugs I've found have been very well traveled and I think it would be very cool to see them again at some cache.

I say, go ahead and pick it up again.

Now that we've determined it's alright to pick up a TB you've picked up before ...

I dropped off a TB about two weeks ago and no one has visited the cache since. At what point should I go retrieve the TB and move it to another cache? Or should I not worry about it and just leave it where it is?

I'm in Western Massachusetts. Late this summer, I picked up Lightning Bob at a cache out here. I dropped him in Rhode Island on a weekend trip down there.

A few weeks later, he turned up back out here, in a cache I had driven past on the way to the one I picked him up at the first time. So I picked him up again, and this time I took him to Maine. I'm responsible for about a third of the little guy's mileage to date.

Now he's back within twenty or thirty miles of me, in Springfield. I'm tempted to pick him up and try to find out where he can go that he won't come back to Western MA. Bermuda?

I'm in Western Massachusetts. Late this summer, I picked up Lightning Bob at a cache out here. I dropped him in Rhode Island on a weekend trip down there.

A few weeks later, he turned up back out here, in a cache I had driven past on the way to the one I picked him up at the first time. So I picked him up again, and this time I took him to Maine. I'm responsible for about a third of the little guy's mileage to date.

Now he's back within twenty or thirty miles of me, in Springfield. I'm tempted to pick him up and try to find out where he can go that he won't come back to Western MA. Bermuda?

Maybe you should grab him again, but drop him west of you instead of east? ;)

I don't see what the problem would be. People revisit TB hotels to drop off/pick up all the time. People revisit old caches to do maintainence (even when it's not their cache). I'm tempted to start a cache called "TB reading room" which would provide easy access for TBs, storage for bookcrossing, and act as a letterbox for those without a GPS. Sure, it would just be a 1/1 but it would be a nice fast way to move a TB east or west and swap books in the process.

Just need to find the right location...

I'm tempted to start a cache called "TB reading room" which would provide easy access for TBs, storage for bookcrossing, and act as a letterbox for those without a GPS. Sure, it would just be a 1/1 but it would be a nice fast way to move a TB east or west and swap books in the process.

Just need to find the right location...

Oh that's a great idea. That would be a neat thing to have at several different locations around the country.

Let us not forget that this is mostly a game... I also call it a sport... but lets face the facts... if a travelbug ends up outside of a goal (or guildline) the world will not end. I have eight bugs... a few of them have specific goals and some of them don't. If one of them ends up in Florida when I want it to end up in Maine... I will not lose sleep. Who knows if that detour is not part of it's natural movement.

Here is what I think is UNacceptable:

Grabbing a TB and not logging it.

Planting a TB and not loggin it.

Scooping up a TB and holding onto it for an excessive period of time.

I think it is better to leave a TB in a cache then it is to grab a TB and hold onto it longer then a month.

Edited by Gargoyle!
I think it is better to leave a TB in a cache then it is to grab a TB and hold onto it longer then a month.

And that's why I plan on leaving all the local TBs buried under the snow this winter. People would rather they didn't travel in a cache than not travel in my hands. I'm tired of feeling guilty because I haven't visited an appropriate cache to drop the travel bug off in within the past week and a half.

Well its hard to decide on what to do in the winter. Sometimes I guess it is really hard to get out in the wintertime... I was not doing caches last winter, however I was out exploring last year. My statement also only my opinion which may change as I am currently holding four bugs. I am hoping to hide a large ammo box in the next two weeks and I want to stick a bunch of TBs in it.

Don't mind me - I am a grumpy old cacher who likes to post before he thinks.

Sometimes we can't control the amount of time we spend not caching. I know that usually I can oply get out once a month and I am usually feeling guilty for holding onto a bug so long.

So I am sorry if I offended. ;)

Disregard my statement about holding on to it for a month... it was stupid for me to say that. I am just glad there are so many people that love doing this. It is... as I said... just a game. And it is a great game... and sport.

Edited by Gargoyle!

OK. He got even closer - within a mile of my apartment. So I picked him up.

I've been planning a vacation to a warm island in January. I emailed the owners to ask if they were OK with me hanging on to the bug and taking him there, if I could find an appropriate cache. Only problem: they're marked "unverified" and haven't logged in since, uh, March '02.

Is this a bug free-for-all? :blink:

OK. He got even closer - within a mile of my apartment. So I picked him up.

I've been planning a vacation to a warm island in January. I emailed the owners to ask if they were OK with me hanging on to the bug and taking him there, if I could find an appropriate cache. Only problem: they're marked "unverified" and haven't logged in since, uh, March '02.

Is this a bug free-for-all? :blink:

I'd say go for it. If they haven't responded, then it appears as if you can do with it what you want.