Micro Cache Question

bergie_69

I recently hide a micro cache(Decon container) in a city park. It has become quite popular and is visited almost daily. I have check on it several times because of the popularity and it is only about two miles from my house. About half the time the lid is not on tightly due to large trades, too many trades, or people were just in a hurry. I have it listed as a micro and have asked people to bring small trades. My question is, has anyone else experienced this problem this often? If so, have you been able to alleviate it. I have thought about making it a log only, but I don’t want to deter people from visiting the cache since there won't be any trades.

Edited by bergie_69
I recently hide a micro cache(Decon container) in a city park. It has become quite popular and is visited almost daily. I have check on it several times because of the popularity and it is only about two miles from my house. About half the time the lid is not on tightly due to large trades, too many trades, or people were just in a hurry. I have it listed as a micro and have asked people to bring small trades. My question is, has anyone else experienced this problem this often? If so, have you been able to alleviate it. I have thought about making it a log only, but I don’t want to deter people from visiting the cache since there won't be any trades.

There's not much you can do about it. It's one of the consequences of using small containers. You might try placing a sticker on the inside of the lid that says "PLEASE CLOSE TIGHTLY".

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I have thought about making it a log only, but I don’t want to deter people from visiting the cache since there won't be any trades.

I've found that Log Only micros still get stuff in them. Shoot, I have place "Take A Penny; Leave a Penny" micros that will only fit a penny and people leave quarters and someone always tries to create a log and then leaves it open. Micros are difficult to maintain sometimes. That's pretty much all there is to it. Maybe people just see micro and don't read the cache page.

My experience has been, micros don't deter anyone because of trading. But some people just don't like micros (maybe because they tend to require a little more effort to find).

Personally, I enjoy micros, especially the really clever ones.

As far as maintaining your micro; well, you'll just have to check on it regularly. I've seen a number of regular caches that have the same (overstuffed/sloppy, unclosed syndrome) problem. :D

I have thought about making it a log only, but I don’t want to deter people from visiting the cache since there won't be any trades.

I've found that Log Only micros still get stuff in them. Shoot, I have place "Take A Penny; Leave a Penny" micros that will only fit a penny and people leave quarters and someone always tries to create a log and then leaves it open. Micros are difficult to maintain sometimes. That's pretty much all there is to it. Maybe people just see micro and don't read the cache page.

I always find it interesting to put small foreign coins (usually between $0.25 and $0.50 American) in "log only" caches. I'm not the only one, since I've found the same in many of these too.

Another item sometimes found around here in the micros are charms (similar to the ones that used to hang off of girls' bracelets in the 80's).

Yeah, I had a decon box that was listed as a micro. I too reminded people to only bring small trade items. I put the log book and items inside a Ziploc, before placing them in the decon box (they aren't totally waterproof). It wasn't long before the decon box was inside the Ziploc, along with excess, oversized trade items. Sheesh!

Most of my other decon box caches haven't has a similar problem though.

Joe, I love you MAN, but there is no "P" in Hamster. Of course if you squish him first there wouldn't be anyway

LOL... boy, do YOU take the fun out of replies. Most people would have fallen for that!

Hey, as a junior member of the hamster hiding gang I have to have it spelled right. Its like how Jeremy hates it when people capitalize the C in Geocaching.

Happens all the time. I don't know why people can't just put things back the way they left them. Maybe they let their kids retrieve/replace the cache, and they didn't know any better. I had one of my caches left laying right out in the open, when I went backwards on the logs, the father had let his little girl "put it back". Apparently, he was too busy on his cellphone to care how well she did it. The trick is to "idiot-proof" the cache, so that it can only be replaced or rehidden the same way they found it, which can be tricky to do....

Some folks tie fishing line or other string to anchor their microcache container to the physical object intended to conceal it (hollow in tree, pipe, etc.) This may assist with making a cache "idiot-proof" or at least keep it from drifting to a different set of coordinates. But probably some idiot would leave a log saying "cache was tangled up in some annoying string, so I cut the string off."

Some folks tie fishing line or other string to anchor their microcache container to the physical object intended to conceal it (hollow in tree, pipe, etc.) This may assist with making a cache "idiot-proof" or at least keep it from drifting to a different set of coordinates. But probably some idiot would leave a log saying "cache was tangled up in some annoying string, so I cut the string off."

Kind of like the posts you see where "signed log, took pencil."

Hmmm... and what does the next cacher use?

Oh, my....here we go again! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

On (or off, I'm not sure which) topic:

I found a cache log that said something stupid like, "Left state quarter, took tupperware"

Yeah...all I found there was a soggy log......

Though I've been tempted to put this entry into a log, "Took a leak, left a puddle", I just don't operate that way.

Ha! This reminds me of the cache on the FL panhandle where the cache owner asked the first finder to bring some fishing line to tie down the cache, lest it float away with the tide! Of course, being tied down didn't keep a young muggle from finding it and keeping it to put crickets in - the dad emailed an apology to the owner later when they realized what they'd taken. Sigh...

Some folks tie fishing line or other string to anchor their microcache container to the physical object intended to conceal it (hollow in tree, pipe, etc.)  This may assist with making a cache "idiot-proof" or at least keep it from drifting to a different set of coordinates.  But probably some idiot would leave a log saying "cache was tangled up in some annoying string, so I cut the string off."

This sounded like a possibility to me also, until I read somewhere here that small animals can become ensnared in such tethers, so it's best not to use them. :P