Winter Attenuation

rooboy

I am curious to know how many people, from places blessed with 6+ inches of snow fall, intend to keep geocaching throughout the upcoming winter? I am looking forward to my first geocaching winter here in Eastern Iowa.

I would guess that a 50-75% decline in geocaching activity (here in Eastern Iowa) would be expected.

Ciao

RooBoy

I don't think there were too many weeks last year that I wasn't able to go out and grab at least one cache in the snow. So, I plan on getting out again.

Besides, the frostbite really takes the sting off all the mosquito bits and poison ivy rashes I have left over from the summer. :ph34r:

Bret

Several cachers ~ cache-u-nuts, dhobby1, UtahJean, and ScoutMaster ~ took me up into the mountains for some snowshoe caching while I was visiting Utah last month. Craig of cache-u-nuts carries a metal detector for locating metal cache containers under snow. :ph34r:

Needless to say, the snow doesn't stop the caching in the Beehive State.

Winter in north Texas?! Pleeeaase! If we get an inch of snow in Dallas the city comes to a standstill. :lol:

In Canada the question might be "Does SUMMER affect your geocaching activity?".

Winter is GREAT! Good footing, less tree cover, great views, etc.

Go out and "challenge the season"!

Where are my snowshoes!!!

Dave

:ph34r:

ps: This weekend we got 20cm of snow and I am actually looking forward to getting out there. (Minus that digging-out-the-car stuff).

Edited by davwil

Snow is a mixed blessing. Depending on the placement of the cache, it can make some nearly impossible to find, while others are barely effected. Snow can even make some caches easier to find. All you have to do is follow the footprints of others (though a conscientious geocacher will make tracks around the area to throw off other hunters and muggles).

There are other benefits to winter geocaching. Those 4 star terrain swamp caches are knocked down a couple of stars when the ground freezes. Hydro caches on islands become available to people without boats and best of all, no 'skeeters and ticks.

In past winters I've seen geocaching activity in my area remain pretty level throughout the winter.

Edited by briansnat

For us winter caching is as much fun as summer caching, though we do fewer.

A cacher in our area tied a tiny blue ribbon on a twig above the cache and mentioned it on the cache page. You have to be right on top of it to see it, but it sure beats digging in the wrong areas. I thought it was a great idea.

If anything my activity picks up - especially on the really snowy days :ph34r: I enjoy the parks more int he winter because so few peopel are around them. I usually can let my dogs run free because I don't run into anyone in the more remote areas of the park, and in the snow they don't run too far as it makes them work harder.

I've found that I have about the same success rate in the winter as the summer, but enjoy the nature aspect more when the weather turns cold.

Snow? Oh-yeah, that whit stuff. Saw it when I was stationed in Germany, left about 1984. Haven't seen any since. But yes, my hiking and caching DOES pick up this time of year. The days rarely exceed 70 deg F, so hiking is a pleasure. Especially for my black Texas Chihuahua.

El Paso, where we have two seasons... Summer and Christmas.

The days rarely exceed 70 deg F, so hiking is a pleasure.  Especially for my black Texas Chihuahua.

Thats great for you... my 'crap factory' (dog) decided it was too cold to do his bidnez outside this morning. So, instead of turning around and coming back inside the house, the little schitzu (it's really a Yorkie) jumped into a snow drift and just kept right on going. It look my an hour to find that dam dog in blizzard like conditions this morning. EEEERRRRR ;)

I've already noticed a big drop-off in activity around here, though I don't know if it's the weather or just the holidays. A lot of the caches around here haven't been found in weeks.

Where are you?

It'd be really helpful if we could see (or manually add) our locations.

:lol::o

I am quite enjoying your signature line, by the way.

Where are you?

It'd be really helpful if we could see (or manually add) our locations.

:lol::o

check out his profile he tells you where he is from. Use your geocaching skills and calculate where he's from. For instance I know about what part of Pennslyvania you are from. And I have no reason to check anything more than that.

Hi ironman,

I know full well how to look it up. ;) Thanks, though.

By my last post, I was gently suggesting that he place it somewhere (say, in his post? or on his signature line?) .... the software for these Boards do not currently show it, but if they could automatically show it for those who opt-in, that would be even swell-er.

Now, back on topic ... :huh: