Becareful Hiding In Trees...

Gargoyle

My cousin and I were doing some yardwork at a house that I own but I don't live in. We were discussing GPS's and looking for caches (he is a muggle) when I was looking at one of the trees in front of the house... a very large american sycamore... It had a space in the back, about eye level. I was commenting how I would love to put a cache in the tree and wondered if my wife would be mad at having people looking around the tree for a cache (she is a muggle also).

Well my cousin and I were both investigating the space and I pulling some leaves out of it and testing to see how sturdy the bottom of it was when suddenly a squirrel dropped into the space from somewhere inside the tree and started scolding us... Well neither of us were expecting that and I freaked out because the animal dropped on my arm (glad I was where long sleaves). Then he scampered back up inside the tree and after we got done laughing I said that maybe that is not a good place to put a cache.

The last time I was out hunting cache I spyed what must be the hiding spot. A knot hole in a tree just about eye level. I was just about to plunge my hand in the hole when I figured it might be a good idea to look in the hole first. I'm glad I did cause there was one pissed off looking possium staring back at me. Now I've never had an angry possium bite me hand before and I don't really want to change that fact.

I'm allergic to bee stings and yellow jacket stings, and that is by far my biggest concern when hiking or geocaching. I carry an Epipen with me, but so far haven't had to use it. Last time I did, was when I still worked for EMS and got stung at the station. It sucks having your own co-workers haul you in to the hospital!

I'm always VERY leery of sticking my hand into strange holes.

(Ok, rather than edit that line, I'm just going to trust that no one wants their warn meter to spike and will not comment accordingly) :lol:

(Ok, rather than edit that line, I'm just going to trust that no one wants their warn meter to spike and will not comment accordingly) :lol:

Ok, I won't 'not comment accordingly' then!

If you ever see a strange hole burning out of a nuclear reactor, I don't think you should stick your hand in there either!

You know, that line flew right under my radar until you went and pointed it out. Now I have a case of the giggles. OK, so I've got a dirty mind :o

One of my caches is hidden in a tree that even I wouldn't stick my hand in. I was waiting for some complaints but everyone seems to think it is a good hide. When I first was hiding the cache I was trying to decide between two very close spots... When I was checking out the present spot I accidently dropped the container into the tree. I almost just left it and it took a lot for me to reach in that tree not knowing if I was gonna get bit or not... I am still nervous when I do maintenance but the cache definately won't float away during a flood.

One of my caches is hidden in a tree that even I wouldn't stick my hand in. I was waiting for some complaints but everyone seems to think it is a good hide. When I first was hiding the cache I was trying to decide between two very close spots... When I was checking out the present spot I accidently dropped the container into the tree. I almost just left it and it took a lot for me to reach in that tree not knowing if I was gonna get bit or not... I am still nervous when I do maintenance but the cache definately won't float away during a flood.

Kinda gives me an idea......think I'll stache a cache in between some saplings, then wait a couple of years for them to grow around it before I get it approved! :huh:

I just recently hid a cache in a large tree with what appeared to be a vacated squirrel nest. I made sure it was "clean" before depositing the container. I have yet to see any squirrels or birds try to plunder the cache. The opening is large enough to get a good look before reaching in, but it still makes me a little nervous when checking on it. No complaints, yet.

Kinda gives me an idea......think I'll stache a cache in between some saplings, then wait a couple of years for them to grow around it before I get it approved! :D

I found a cache like that on my last trip to California. Fortunately, there was only one muggle around, so I let the kids play frisbee while I recovered it.