Best GPS Unit

KMB7760

I'm buying my wife a GPS this Christmas so we can get into Geocaching. I've been researching and asking lots of stupid questions. I am leaning toward the Meridian Sportrak Color, but I've been hearing that the Garmin models are more intuitive and easier to use. Is this true? The features I think I want are, color, to tell roads from rivers, and the abilitiy to upload 3rd party maps. I understand the maps and software provided by both Garmin and Meridian aren't great.

I would appriciate any input. Thanks :D

I'll bet you are (or have already gotten) a few responses like "We get this question 10 times a week", but when you are out there looking for a 1st GPS, it can be hard.

I got my first, and still current, Garmin GPS III+ from ebay about 2.5 years ago and it has worked fine for me ever since.

The definitive place to check (if you haven't already):

Gpsinformation.net - GPS Information

Also, IMHO, I think the Mapsource maps, a Garmin product, are certainly excellent for navigating a city or park roads, but they do fall apart off-road.

You might also want to look at OziExplorer, which allows you to work with digital maps.

Personal Opinion:

If you are looking for a unit primarily for Geocaching, you might want to consider the new Garmin 60C or the 60CS, both of which should ship in Q1 2004. (Currently I have been told January 26th).

That might be a biased opinion, as I sent in my pre-order a few weeks ago, but it certainly looks pretty good.

I use a Meridian Gold and have no problem telling roads from rivers with the greyscale display. The Meridian color is the same basic unit except for the display and the Platinum adds a compass and barometer that the Gold does not have (the display is still greyscale on the Platinum). Other than Palm or pocket pc units I do not believe you can upload any 3rd party maps to a dedicated GPS unit. I do not have any experience with Garmin units but the Vista is comparable to the Platinum and the Legend is comparable to the Gold. The biggest difference is that the Meridians use a SD card that you can upload maps to. Therefor you can upload as much detailed area as your card can hold (currently up to 512MB I think) while the Garmins are limited to whatever internal memory it has (not sure but about 8-16MB). So if you like more maps the Meridians might be the way to go. Hope some of this helps.

I am leaning toward the Meridian Sportrak Color, but I've been hearing that the Garmin models are more intuitive and easier to use. Is this true? The features I think I want are, color, to tell roads from rivers, and the abilitiy to upload 3rd party maps. I understand the maps and software provided by both Garmin and Meridian aren't great.

I started with an eTrex Venture and moved over to a Meridian Platinum. My impression is that the Garmin interface was a little easier to work with, but the Magellan offering is not so much more difficult as to be a dealbreaker. It just takes a little longer to learn.

For color at $400 or so, I think you are limited to the Garmin GPSMap60c, the Magellan SporTrack Color, or Magellan Meridian Color. Roads vs. rivers should not be an issue on any of those, and you will be limited to manufacturer maps for both Garmin and Magellan (I've thought the new Magellan DirectRoute maps to be very good quality). I think there may be some ways to scan maps and upload them to your GPSr, but it seems cumbersome to do so.

In addition to the GPSr, you will probably need to buy map software for detailed map information. It looks like you know this, but I just want to be sure you know you will have to budget for this, too.

Here's an idea:

GPSMAP76S= $310

MapSource Topo software= $90

Numbers are rounded, but I don't think you could spend $400 better. The MAP76S may drop significantly in price when the new '60's are released. You could hold out for the 60, but then you'd be over budget by the time you bought software.

Happy shopping,

Bob

Personal Opinion:

If you are looking for a unit primarily for Geocaching, you might want to consider the new Garmin 60C or the 60CS, both of which should ship in Q1 2004.  (Currently I have been told January 26th).

That might be a biased opinion, as I sent in my pre-order a few weeks ago, but it certainly looks pretty good.

Who is saying Jan 26th and how long ago did they say it?

Thanks for all your input.

I bought the Garmin Etrex Vista. It has everything I wanted except the color and I got it for under $300.

I agree the new 60c and 60cs seem like the best of all options, but who knows when they will actually be available.

We'll use the Vista for now, learn as much as possible and can always get the 60cs when it hits the market and hopefully the price drops a bit.

KB

Here's an idea:

GPSMAP76S= $310

Numbers are rounded, but I don't think you could spend $400 better. The MAP76S may drop significantly in price when the new '60's are released. You could hold out for the 60, but then you'd be over budget by the time you bought software.

Happy shopping,

Bob

Perhaps only one way: (Until the 60C hits the streets, but the price will be higher)..

Garmin GPS-V deluxe.

Retail $400 including City Select CD with all regions Unlocked.

It can be had for less online, but be carefull. Garmin disclaims warrentys on Auction items, and some of the online units I've seen are refurbished or do not include the City Select CD.

If you need Topo instead of Maps, you can also add the MapSource topo.

Hi Wacko and KMB, just a couple of notes.

That sounds like a good deal for the V Deluxe - too bad ~I~ don't need a new unit!

The eTrex Vista is a nice unit. It has many of the same features of the GPSMAP76S but is much smaller. Some things that make me prefer the 76S: larger screen, alarms, better buttons, and a plug for an external antenna. The Quad-Helix antenna is supposed to be better, but seeing the two operate side-by-side, I doubt there is much difference.

Lots of folks at work use the various eTrex models with absolutely no problems.

I got it for under $300.

I hope so. The current Vista price at GPSNow is $245. Hope you didn't pay too much. The MAP76S is only $309.

Congradulations on making the decision and taking the plunge - I shopped for weeks before deciding...

Best Wishes,

Bob

It can be had for less online, but be carefull. Garmin disclaims warrentys on Auction items,

Since I corrected this in another thread, I guess I should do it here too:

Garmin only will not warranty items bought from private individuals on eBay (and other auction sites), but they WILL warranty their items bought on eBay (or other auction sites) from a licensed Garmin Dealer. This is what they explained to me when I contacted them prior to buying my Legend on eBay.

It can be had for less online, but be carefull.  Garmin disclaims warrentys on Auction items,

Since I corrected this in another thread, I guess I should do it here too:

Garmin only will not warranty items bought from private individuals on eBay (and other auction sites), but they WILL warranty their items bought on eBay (or other auction sites) from a licensed Garmin Dealer. This is what they explained to me when I contacted them prior to buying my Legend on eBay.

They seem to have modified their statement on auction purchases. The original statement didn't make a lot of sence, the current one does:

"Products sold through online auctions are not eligible for rebates or other special offers from Garmin. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction."

Somewhat off topic, since the thread is about the best GPS for $400 or less. There really is no "correct" answer to the original question. It depends on what one wants and needs.

I wanted the autorouting, it's the best thing since sliced bread and I wouldn't trade my GPS-V for anything (except maybe a 60CS ;) ). Originally I didn't think auto-routing was that big of a deal until I went caching with someone that had a GPS-V and I was hooked!

If you want to push the $400 envelope, you can get 2 Garmin Rino 120s with built in 2-way radio function. I got mine on Ebay for about $415 for the pair. They are great for those times when we want to split up but stay in touch and transmit our current coordinates to our partner who has the other unit.

Just remember to invest in 1-hour recharge time Rayovac AA batteries and a charger because they love to EAT batteries.

They also have street maps, sea charts and such in the base unit before any software upgrades.

:D NWGANINJAS ;)

Who is saying Jan 26th and how long ago did they say it?

GPSCity Canada has said it... they actually revised their timeline to January 23rd.

Your link didn't work, but I see where GPSCity is claiming Jan 23rd for the 60CS. Everything else I have seen has been saying 60C in January and 60CS in March. I bet that GPSCity made a mistake, but I'll jump on it if they really do get them in January.

I bet that GPSCity made a mistake, but I'll jump on it if they really do get them in January.

I'm not so sure they made a mistake. They aren't the only ones advertising January delivery.

The place I ordered from (GPSCentral.ca) has also said late January on my order confirmation.

Other places:

http://www.gps4fun.com/gar_gpsmap60cs.php

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/...&category_id=17

http://www.tigergps.com/tigergps/gagp60chaheg.html

I bet that GPSCity made a mistake, but I'll jump on it if they really do get them in January.

I'm not so sure they made a mistake. They aren't the only ones advertising January delivery.

The place I ordered from (GPSCentral.ca) has also said late January on my order confirmation.

Other places:

http://www.gps4fun.com/gar_gpsmap60cs.php

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/...&category_id=17

http://www.tigergps.com/tigergps/gagp60chaheg.html

I'm on the preorder list at TigerGPS for a 60CS--I know that they are saying March for the 60CS. Which do you have on preorder? The 60C is supposed to start shipping in January. Again, I'd be happy to eat my words and be able to get a 60CS in January, but I bet there is just some confusion out there.

Here's an idea:

GPSMAP76S= $310

Happy shopping,

Bob

IS THIS A JOKE? HOW ABOUT

SOFTWARE= 0$ FROM P2P PROGRAM

DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE FOR FREE FOR GODS SAKE.

IM NOT SURE IF YOU GUYS ARE SERIOUS ABOUT BUYING SOFTWARE, BUT IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE.

IS THIS A JOKE?  HOW ABOUT

IM NOT SURE IF YOU GUYS ARE SERIOUS ABOUT BUYING SOFTWARE, BUT IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE.

Hey, why stop there? Why not just steal the gps from the store too? Then your total cost would be $0! Thanks txlegaldealer you've changed my life!

IS THIS A JOKE?  HOW ABOUT

Please - if you are doing this, stop. Would you walk into a store and steal something off the shelf? If you can explain how downloading "free" software is any different than outright thievery, aside from the anonymity afforded by the Internet, go ahead. If the software is too expensive for you, get a better job.

Edited by ZingerHead

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you ordered from GPS Central? Their price is over $400 US for the unit, and I've seen them below $380 elsewhere.

As for the date of January 23rd, don't hold your breath. A lot of these companies need to have an actual date to enter a product into their system, so they pick what sounds like a "logical" release date. Garmin said in a press release back in November "The GPSMAP 60C is expected to be available in January 2004 at an MSRP of $482.13, with the GPSMAP 60CS following in March 2004 at an MSRP of $535.70."

Edited by Indiana Cojones

;)

IS THIS A JOKE? HOW ABOUT

I guess the little kiddies have found this site now. On most other websites this crap would have been immediately deleted. Go away kid. And why are you yelling? How rude...

If you want to push the $400 envelope, you can get 2 Garmin Rino 120s with built in 2-way radio function. I got mine on Ebay for about $415 for the pair. They are great for those times when we want to split up but stay in touch and transmit our current coordinates to our partner who has the other unit.

At GPSdiscount.com a pair of Rino 120 are $400, $407 with shipping. Who's going to pay more for eBay items than they cost at a regular store? I assume your eBay Rinos are brand new with factory warrantee. Did you have to pay extra for shipping?

Just curious.

Best Wishes,

Bob

"Products sold through online auctions are not eligible for rebates or other special offers from Garmin. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction."

I should have watched the dates before reading, because now that I've read that, I feel the need to reply to something kinda old.

While not stated, I'll bet Garmin would honor the warranty of any unit that is returned within an year of manufacturer even if you don't have the dealer's receipt. The receipt would only be required if you are seeking warranty service after one year from the date of manufacturer but within one year of first sale. At least that's the way I've seen other companies do it. Any one have different experience?

Actually I see it frequently on eBay - items being bid up until the price is actually higher than going to the store and buying a new one. Perhaps it's the 'thrill' of the auction. And other times an eBay item seems like a good deal, until you figure in some outrageous shipping and handling fee.

I do occationally bid at eBay auctions, but you do have to be careful.

Personally, I bought my unit at GPSnow, but they don't seem to carry the Rino line.

Best Wishes,

Bob