Winter Hiding Frustration

carleenp

So, I learned a lesson today. I went out to hide a large cache (a big plastic file container, big is necessary for the purpose of the cache). Well, in summer, it would have been easy, but now with no vegetation and in an area lacking thick groves of evergreen trees (Nebraska), it was impossible to find a safe place! I looked for 4-5 hours. At least I got some good hikes in. Now this could be a good thing because if I had hid it summer, it could be really exposed right now. Regardless, I ended up going home, cutting a bunch of branches off my evergreen bush and taping them all over the container with brown duct tape. I also filled a big bag with cuttings for more cover and will go back out tomorrow. Who knows whether the place I put it will be full of nettles and poison ivy in the summer?

Any similar frustrations/solutions?

Just the same observations you made. Now when hiding a cache in the summer I pay attention to what it will look like in the winter.

One cache I did this summer was hidden in the winter. What was a nice field grew into stinging nettle, thistles, and thorn bushes, with more stinging and biting ants than I've ever seen in my life. The nettle jungle made it a hard find which gave more time for the ants to crawl up your legs...

You've given me a great idea! Why not make a natural looking geocache container? You know, like an artificial "tree" or "stump" or "bush" or "boulder?" Construct it so it looks like it really belongs, kind of "natural" but not. That way you can just place it someplace where it will "blend in" with the natural surroundings. It make take some work, but oh what a fine hide it would make! Imagine someone actually sitting on your geocache while scratching their heads in utter frustration because their GPS reads 1 foot and they cannot find the cache. Hmmmmmmm.........!

Imagine someone actually sitting on your geocache while scratching their heads in utter frustration because their GPS reads 1 foot and they cannot find the cache. Hmmmmmmm.........!

There are several like that around here, and they are great caches! My problem is that the cache I am placing is so large that it is harder to do those things to. But I'm hoping the branches taped to it will work for now! :D

There are several like that around here, and they are great caches! My problem is that the cache I am placing is so large that it is harder to do those things to. But I'm hoping the branches taped to it will work for now!

Go to a crafts store (Rag Shop, JC Moore, Michaels or whatever they have by you) and check out the plastic plant branches they sell. You can get fake ferns, evergreen branches, grass, etc.... They'll last a lot longer than real branches. You can use something like Goop household glue, or an epoxy to attach them to the box.

Edited by briansnat

I've found one in not so a desirable place.

1915272_300.jpg

Now it will be covered with the white stuff for about 6 months. But when the snow melts it will still be covered and well hidden.

4450_200.JPG

And I may go see how deep the stuff is in January when I have some time off.

Yesterday I even found one that was comprimised and messed up right here in town and think the owners have gone to Mexico for the winter. So that one has been put in a very safe place also waiting for the return of the owners.

Merry Christmas Carleen

One problem you may not have thought of, Tahosa, is that if you have any winter searchers for your cache, they're going to leave a trail and handprints around your cache hide location, which will actually make it EASIER for others until the next snowfall covers up those tracks! (Been there, done this, while caching in the snow in NYC last week!).

-Dave R. in snow-free Biloxi, MS

I often wondered the same thing...and the Terrain/Difficulty ratings could also be impacted. True, the terrain may not change with the seasons, but the cache that is hidden in "bare winter" may be much more difficult to find with thick underbrush and/or heavy tree canopy during the spring, summer season. Should the difficulty rating then be changed...or at least mention made in the cache description to differentiate the difficulty rating between the different seasons?

Concerning "tracks" to the cache when snow is on the ground. Whew, I always do some very creative meandering in an attempt to throw off any muggles that may follow the tracks -- I'd rather fill a whole woodlot with snow footprints than put the cache in jeopardy.

Regards,

Bill

Go to a crafts store (Rag Shop, JC Moore, Michaels or whatever they have by you) and check out the plastic plant branches they sell. You can get fake ferns, evergreen branches, grass, etc.... They'll last a lot longer than real branches. You can use something like Goop household glue, or an epoxy to attach them to the box.

That's a good idea. I was in a hurry to get the cache placed before Christmas (it is a Christmas theme, but permanent cache) so I did the "quick fix" but was worried about it. I think I'll go get some of that stuff and doctor up the cache a little more soon! I did place the darn thing today, but the best spot was .11 from another cache, so if my note to the approver doesn't fly, I'll be hauling it 10 miles down the road to my second choice spot and will stop at the craft store on the way. :D

You've given me a great idea! Why not make a natural looking geocache container? You know, like an artificial "tree" or "stump" or "bush" or "boulder?" Construct it so it looks like it really belongs, kind of "natural" but not. That way you can just place it someplace where it will "blend in" with the natural surroundings. It make take some work, but oh what a fine hide it would make! Imagine someone actually sitting on your geocache while scratching their heads in utter frustration because their GPS reads 1 foot and they cannot find the cache. Hmmmmmmm.........!

Now, that does sound interesting. I think I will work on something like that.

Thanks Clown knife, Jeff24

One problem you may not have thought of, Tahosa, is that if you have any winter searchers for your cache, they're going to leave a trail and handprints around your cache hide location,

That was easily taken into consideration, the Cache is in the Rocky Mountains at around 10,000 ft. And when it snows up there it stays for 6 months or more and nothing is found. Unless you have a snow shovel and a metal detector.

One problem you may not have thought of, Tahosa, is that if you have any winter searchers for your cache, they're going to leave a trail and handprints around your cache hide location,

That was easily taken into consideration, the Cache is in the Rocky Mountains at around 10,000 ft. And when it snows up there it stays for 6 months or more and nothing is found. Unless you have a snow shovel and a metal detector.

I like hunting caches in the snow, since I don't get the chance to do much of that down here.

Found one today in the snow. I was surprised that I walked right up to it, stuck my hand in the snow where I thought it should be, and, volla. There it was. I won't get that lucky again in the snow.

I planted one yesterday ... hopefully the location will shield it from some of the deeper snow, but time will tell.

Let me see, rocks in the winter, okay got it. Now lets try rocks in the summer, okay got that. Huummmmm. <Scratching head.> What are you guys talking about seasonal changes . :D

I paint my ammo boxes either basalt black and red, sandstone biege, or granite gray. Carry one of each and I'm always ready to plant a cache.

they sell rocks with a hollow under it for micros on geocaching .com. someone with better skills can provide the link maybe.

You can get basically the same thing at most department stores or greenhouses in the garden center. They're called Keystones and are made for hiding house keys. Much cheaper than gspeak ones. I got half a dozen for $5 last year.

they sell rocks with a hollow under it for micros on geocaching .com. someone with better skills can provide the link maybe.

You can get basically the same thing at most department stores or greenhouses in the garden center. They're called Keystones and are made for hiding house keys. Much cheaper than gspeak ones. I got half a dozen for $5 last year.

Send some my way!

Send some my way!

Ok, I just emailed a couple to ya! :D