AA Batteries

bigredmed

Search the Consumer Reports article on batteries and you'll find that Ray-O-Vac are the best, longest lasting batteries for the price. I quit using Durakills when I was a paramedic. Ruined 3 flashlights with them. They leaked and corroded the insides of them within about 3 months of the time I put them in. I use the Ray-O-Vacs in all of my electronics, from remote controls to digital cameras, and can attest to their longevity and low price! :D

EDITED: Magazine name

Edited by Sparky-Watts
BTW the guy at best buy said they were about the same as Energizers.

The guy at Best Buy is a junior in high school...

Actually, he appeared to have been old enough to vote and to have perhaps been that old for atleast one of the previous presidential elections. So unlike the usual Best Buy guys who pretend to give me advice when they aren't old enough to own a razor, I would atleast give the guy passing credence.

:D

Search the Consumer Reports article on batteries and you'll find that Ray-O-Vac are the best, longest lasting batteries for the price. I quit using Durakills when I was a paramedic. Ruined 3 flashlights with them. They leaked and corroded the insides of them within about 3 months of the time I put them in. I use the Ray-O-Vacs in all of my electronics, from remote controls to digital cameras, and can attest to their longevity and low price! :D

Link to article??

This may be off topic but here goes.

I know there are some serious Battery afficienadoes out there and I was wondering the advantage of a unit that takes AA vs AAA. The garmin Geckos take AAA and I was wondering if battery life would be as good.

I started with a Geko 101 and it ate batteries like there was no tomorrow!

Search the Consumer Reports article on batteries and you'll find that Ray-O-Vac are the best, longest lasting batteries for the price.  I quit using Durakills when I was a paramedic.  Ruined 3 flashlights with them.  They leaked and corroded the insides of them within about 3 months of the time I put them in.  I use the Ray-O-Vacs in all of my electronics, from remote controls to digital cameras, and can attest to their longevity and low price! :D

Link to article??

Sorry, Doc, too lazy. :) Do a google search for Consumer Reports, then on their webpage do the search for battery tests and comparisons. I'd help ya out, but I figure smurf-boy will be back soon, and I need to hit the century mark before he gets back.

Not to rain on a the good deal parade, but why not just buy a set of 4 AA rechargeables and the charger for $30? One Ni-MH rechargeable is able to recharged at least 300 times (per the CR article) - a huge savings over the life of the rechargeables.

I use two Ni-MH rechargeable AA's for my Magellan Sportrak Topo and have the other 2 charged and ready for backup on a trip.

Much easier than driving to the store each time!

In a previous life, I sold cell pagers (back in 1991 - 1995). We found through some pretty rigorous testing that:

1) Rechargeables seemed to work fine in terms of longevitiy/performance

2) No one KNOWN brand outperformed another

3) Cheap batteries (store brand, etc.) seemed to drain at an uneven rate and cause reception problems in the pagers. I would expect the same thing from a GPSr.

As long as you stick with Duracell, Panasonic, EverReady, Energizer, etc. I would expect you to be fine.

That being said, don't send me your GPSr if a battery above leaks!

In a previous life, I sold cell pagers (back in 1991 - 1995). We found through some pretty rigorous testing that:

1) Rechargeables seemed to work fine in terms of longevitiy/performance

2) No one KNOWN brand outperformed another

3) Cheap batteries (store brand, etc.) seemed to drain at an uneven rate and cause reception problems in the pagers. I would expect the same thing from a GPSr.

As long as you stick with Duracell, Panasonic, EverReady, Energizer, etc. I would expect you to be fine.

That being said, don't send me your GPSr if a battery above leaks!

Love the holiday avatar Kealia!

I use the kirkland as well and have no problems thus far.

I also typically buy the cheap brick of batteries at Costco or Bass Pro Shops. I haven't been displeased. Of course, my GPSr spends most of its life in the Jeep on external power. Most of the caches in my area seem to be placed within a few feet of parking.

I don't use rechargeables because I keep three different AA flashlights in the Jeep (two in my pack, one not). Also, on a roadtrip, I would need several spares. Did I mention that my 3+ takes three batteries? I'd much rather just fill the landfill with hazardous waste.

I buy the cheapest AA Ray-O-Vacs for my FSRs (16 for $3.68) and can get 12 to 15 hours out of them. However my Vista will eat those in less than an hour. I seem to do pretty good with the energizers.

AAA batteries should be illegal.

You think AAA are bad, you should try and find a set of AAAA for that cool little LED penlight........(hint, haven't seen 'em at Wal-Mart yet, bought last set from Snap-On dealer...at $1 each)

My first Markwell.

He is a thread where we have discussed the Pros and Cons of recharchables.

Rechargable batteries

I can save you the time of reading through all of this thread. IF you are interested in using rechargables. Look here PowerEx the 2200mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries are the best on the market, but you must use their recharger too as it conditions the batteries before recharging, this extends the lifespan considerably. We use these in our Garmin eTREX Lengend and Garmin eTrex Summit and typically get about 12 to 14 hrs of use between recharges. If you want to read the reviews for this product, since it's not a big consumer namebrand check here The Great Battery Shootout

Dan

I know there are some serious Battery afficienadoes out there and I was wondering the advantage of a unit that takes AA vs AAA. The garmin Geckos take AAA and I was wondering if battery life would be as good.

The advantage of the AAA is a smaller lighter unit, but not one that runs as long. It's reflected in the unit's specs.

Also, the price difference between the geko 101 and the other garmins at the moment is enough to let you buy a charger and a bunch of rechargeable AAAs. Target has had the Geko in the $70-$80 range lately and I think Walwart has as well.

Besides, it's all about the fact that it fits in your pants pocket.

Assuming of course that you're wearing pants.

Also, the price difference between the geko 101 and the other garmins at the moment is enough to let you buy a charger and a bunch of rechargeable AAAs. Target has had the Geko in the $70-$80 range lately and I think Walwart has as well.

Besides, it's all about the fact that it fits in your pants pocket.

Assuming of course that you're wearing pants.

But my Legend fits better in my pants pocket with two spare batteries than my Geko 101 did with a dozen spare batteries...... ;)

The problem with carrying my Geko 201 in my pocket is that the power button always seems to get pressed and my batteries go dead. I really like my Geko but it definately goes through AAA batteries fast. The batteries are supposed to last longer with WAAS turned off but I never turn it off. I buy bricks of AAAs at Costco.

Rayovac just introduced "15 minute" rechargable batteries...they rock! You can even charge them in the car! And the charge lasts a long time. They are supposed to be able to be charged over a THOUSAND times without discernable loss of performance. You can get both AA and AAA.

Yeah, I saw these last night at Radio Shack. I haven't used rechargables in years. Just never liked the performance. I'm sure they've made great improvements since then, but I just can't bring myself to buy some.

AA VSAAA

The deal with batteries comes down to capacity, usually listed as milli amp hours.

This is a measurement of how much power the battery can supply over a given period of time. As you go up in battery size (AAA to AA) you gain milli amp hours.

When it comes to NiMH, buy the biggest mah rating you can find. 2200 seems to be the highest I have seen.

As for Alkaline, most makers don't list it....

http://www.techlib.com/reference/batteries.html

Jomarac5 was telling me about batteries that are imported and are been sold as / labelled as Duracell's in Dollar Stores but they are not Duracell's. Apparently they leak or explode and are not worth the price at all. I'd be very careful of cheap batteries.

BigLots! has those batteries. Duracell Ultra in a non-Duracell package. The negative side is actually stamped Duracell, and I haven't had any problems with them at all. I buy AAA packs for use in my IIIxe.

I almost always use Energizer rechargeable NiMH. The same batteries power both my GPSr (eTrex Yellow) and DigiCam (Kodak DX6340). Of course each charge does not last quite as long as a pair of lithiums or alkalines, but they can be recharged up to 1000 times.

In the eTrex they last most of the day, then I swap out for a second set I keep handy. With the camera I can take around 125-150 shots (3.2mp) on average before I have to swap, and I always keep the LCD turned on for framing purposes.

So I carry four sets of batteries (8 batteries total) and then just pop them in the recharger when I get home. They're usually ready for more action in 30 minutes. If I'm planning on being out for more than a day or two I'll carry the recharger along; it came with a 12-volt adapter.

I think I paid about $20 for the batteries and another $30 for the 1-hour recharger, so I'd guess I've saved a couple hundred bucks already. And with a thousand recharges possible, well, you do the math...

[edited for spelling]

Edited by Chance Encounter
The problem with carrying my Geko 201 in my pocket is that the power button always seems to get pressed and my batteries go dead.  I really like my Geko but it definately goes through AAA batteries fast.  The batteries are supposed to last longer with WAAS turned off but I never turn it off.  I buy bricks of AAAs at Costco.

I've considered buying a Geko for trail use. I'd just as soon leave my 3+ in its mount in the car and use the tiny Geko during the foot pursuit.

I thought that I read that the power button problem was corrected through an update. This would require a longer press of the power button to turn the unit on, much like the other Garmins currently require.

Edited by sbell111

Somewhat on topic:

I've been using these containers for my rechargable batteries. My digital camera and GPS both take 4 AA's. They are slightly larger than a film can, and make good micros too. I put a little foam in the bottom and the top to keep them from rattling around. Fresh batteries get stored positive side up and spent batteries negative side up to easily identify the good ones in the daypack.

14843_2100.jpg

I just recently found these online and may be ordering some. I like the fact that these are flat and would be easier to carry in a pocket.

holder-4aa-sm.jpg

Hey Navdog, where did you find the flat containers they look pretty slick?

I have 20 rechargable NiMH AA batteries that are almost always charged up. I keep a charger in the Jeep running all the time so we are never without batteries. I only carry two with me in the field because I figure the batteries from the digital camera are always available in an emergency.

I use rechargeables (home and car adapters both came with this charger) and carry spares. The rechargeable batteries came with a plastic carrying case. Never had a problem with power drop in the colder temperatures.

Northern Trekker

PS - I use a Map 76S that only takes 2 AA's at a time. My older GPS (Garmin 12XL) used 4 AA's at a time. I use Energizer Rechargeables.

...you must use their recharger too as it conditions the batteries before recharging, this extends the lifespan considerably.

Hope I got the quote right.

Question: I have 12 Sunpak 2000mh Ni MH AAs, and am wondering what would happen if I purchased the Powerex batteries with charger/converter, if I could mix the battery brands in appliances and in the charger?

I suspect the industry marketing logic is to be proprietary and discourage compatibility, but want to know for sure.

Thanks,

I was looking thru a NWA bored-passenger-shopoholic-catalog on a flight to Seattle a couple months ago and saw a beee-yooo-tiful solar powered battery charger... Santa didn't bring me one, but then I have no idea how well they actually work in the real world.

But they were kinda sexy. Mmmm, free electricity.

BEST BUY:

Thanks to SandRaven for your post on where you get your batteries. You just saved me a lot of time and money. I did do my do diligence on this one though. Thomas Distributing http://thomasdistributing.com does have the best selection and prices. I just bought the MAHA brand C401FS charger with car adapter and 8 Powerex 2200 mAH batteries http://thomasdistributing.com/mhc401fs_buy.htm. It looked like the best deal for my needs. I added an additional 8 batteries because I use AA's for my headlamp, digicam, GPS.

BEST BATTERY:

Which battery brand last the longest? This test shows that the Maha brand Powerex 2200 outlasted all other tested products. It lasted over three times longer than the best alkaline battery. http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

ECO:

I get batteries at "no cost". My wife has a fixed budget and whenever I need some more AA's she picks up a pack or 48 at Costco for around $10. It's not about the money. I go through between 4-8 batteries a week. Every time I threw batteries into the trash I got a knot in my stomach. As I researched the rechargeable NiMH batteries I found that they are "completely" recyclable, unlike the very bad non-rechargeable alkaline.

COST:

According to the above referenced test the Maha 2200mAH batteries lasted about 10 hours on one charge. You can charge them at least 500 times (up to 1000 times). That equals 5,000 hours of use. I paid about $4 per battery. So for $4 I get 5,000 hours of use, having to only throw one battery away when it’s dead. The Costco Alkaline batteries cost about 5 cents each. The best rated alkaline battery in the test lasted about 3 hours. In order to get 5,000 hours of use from an alkaline I would need buy 1,666 batteries at a cost of around $83. I also would have thrown away 1,666 batteries into landfill, and I am only one person!

I paid $100 for sixteen 2200 mAH rechargeable batteries, which included a charger with DC cord. (I also got a free gift!) The equivalent in alkaline would have cost me $1,328 and I would have had to buy 26,656 batteries. The cheapest alkaline (Costco brand) costs ten times more than the highest rated (MAHA Powerex 2200) rechargeable NiMH battery. Even if there was no savings and it cost me a few bucks more I would buy the rechargables.

Rechargeables: Better for the environment, last longer, more convenient (don't have to change them as often), cost ten times less, and I won't have to worry about buying another battery for at least four years (up to eight years). IMHO rechargeable are the ONLY way to go for me.