One For All You Stats Buffs

I haven't had chance to look but did Seasider manage to beat Sparticus's "most caches in one day" tally on his recent "Softie Southerner Tour"??

Alex. (flu-ridden)

That's Alex's description of my first Southern tour - not mine!! :unsure:

I managed 25 around Watford on Tue 16th December starting in the gloom of dawn and ending in the gloom of dusk!

Cheers!

Seasider

I haven't had chance to look but did Seasider manage to beat Sparticus's "most caches in one day" tally on his recent "Softie Southerner Tour"??

Alex.  (flu-ridden)

I was expecting seasider to do it. I can't actually remember how many it was that I did. What I do remember is that I'm never doing that many in a day again. I was nearly dead by the end and didn't appreciate my last few, which was a shame because I enjoy caching but didn't pay the due attention which I felt cheated the placer of the cache. I also had the added advantage of longer days. I will still do mega caching at times, but I will try and keep it less than ten a day now.

Keep it up John. Good luck. :unsure:

I managed 25 around Watford on Tue 16th December starting in the gloom of dawn and ending in the gloom of dusk!

And he was in and out before I twigged he was close by. Shame or I could have bought him a pint or two and hopefully slowed him down a bit :unsure:

25 caches in one day in the middle of winter is quite some going. Well done John.

I recently found 27 in one day (with 10 DNFs) while in St Louis. I put about 350 kms on the rental car as I criss-crossed the area from 7:00am until 11:30pm.

I realize that the original poster was probably looking for UK responses but as I am crossing the pond in early February and will have a day to do nothing but cache I will be looking to break my personal record. I will try to keep my virtual cache count to a minimum. Nothing against virtuals but they tend to be easier than the traditional cache.

I look forward to going international!

Cheers!

OzGuff

Excellent! ;)

It is difficult to compare caches across different countries so the thread was about our crowded island only.

Good luck - beware the London traffic and remember one thing:-

We use miles over here not those foreign kilothingies!

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider
... I will be looking to break my personal record. I will try to keep my virtual cache count to a minimum.  Nothing against virtuals but they tend to be easier than the traditional cache.

IF YOU HATE STATS THEN LOOK AWAY NOW!! :wacko:

Having just examined Chris & Maria's excellent tube map ( :D:D ) I have a suggestion which will get round the virtual/traditional mix issue.

Since London caching is so different to the rest of the UK why don't we keep two records? One for most caches found in London in regions 1-6 in a day and one for elsewhere?

OzGuff - If you have two days free during your visit then this gives you a chance to have a crack at both (unless you do them all at night after work!!). :D

Just for the record - who claims to have done the most in London in a day?!

It is purely coincidental that I'll be heading down to London shortly by the way!! <_<

I TOLD YOU TO LOOK AWAY - SO DON'T COMPLAIN!! :lol:

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider
We would be interested in knowing which caches you did in on that day and which order. Jusr so that we can have a go at a mega cache-bash.

Certainly, Mr & Mrs H! <_<

Seasider's Cache Finds

All my logs for each day of my southern cache tour are numbered so if you glance through my logs for the 16th Dec then all will become apparent. I started with Chestnut View and finished with Jersey Farm (which sadly has since gone).

If you look at the next 3 days of the tour then you will see details of the 21 I did in the Epping Forest area, 18 around the Aylesbury area and 18 sort of between Aylesbury and Milton Keynes - so you have a few routes to choose from!!

Have fun - and good luck trying to beat the 25! :wacko:

Cheers!

Seasider

I struggle to do 25 in a month <_<:wacko: . think I did 19 in Nov and 10 in Dec. But I tend to park miles away from the cache and hike in. If its a nice area like the peaks, I would try to park 4 or 5 miles away to do a nice 10 or 11 mile around trip. But will try to hit a few more this year so watch this space

Brian

36 in one day, but none before or since.  I wonder why?  Did they burn out?  :unsure:

Did anyone find out who they were? They turned up at the HCC meet didn't they?

Does the wink mean that Bill was one of them?!! :D

For our overseas friends:-

UK team record for a day - 36 by the 2C's (who were a couple of experienced cachers who registered that name purely to set a record prior to a big meet - thus no caches before or after)

UK single cacher record for a day - 25 by Seasider

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider
Seasider wrote:

Does the wink mean that Bill was one of them?!!

Like Mr and Mrs H, I did wonder if they were a one-off group of experienced cachers, hence the wink! :D I wasn't one of them though, but I was at the HCC event. Whoever they were, they're probably reading this thread and saying nowt! :unsure:

Edited for coherence - it's late!

Edited by Bill D (wwh)
36 in one day, but none before or since.  I wonder why?  Did they burn out?  :unsure:

Does the wink mean that Bill was one of them?!! :D

There are pictures of them in their gallery. Nobody reconise them???

There are pictures of them in their gallery. Nobody reconise them???

Well, one kinda looks like Merman doesn't he?!!

Was it an early Grockles day out?! :D:unsure:B)

Seasider

No they aint early Grockles - unless they are our forefathers - but neither of 'em look like my Dad!

I can confirm they certainly signed the log books of the caches they visited (well the ones I own and some I've since visited).

We have never understood why you all would want to "do" so many caches in a single day! We take exactly the opposite tack and usually do caches one at a time.

Sue & I use the caches as destinations for summer cycle rides (or now and again, for walks out with visitors) and, at 40 miles for the round cycle trip, it is usually a day trip. For example, last year we cycled to "dizzy@Felbridge Hall" and deliberately did not go for the nearby "Keyring Cache". We will do that one this summer.

With a few sarnies and some cans of drink in the carriers and with umpteen pubs to choose from, it makes for a fine outing - with the caches providing the variety for our trips.

Are we the only ones who enjoy caching in this manner? or is everyone fixated on getting high "scores"?

Are we the only ones who enjoy caching in this manner? or is everyone fixated on getting high "scores"?

Definitely not. I'm sure most aren't.

Everyone enjoys sport in different ways. Your first passion is obviously cycling (40 miles in a day is impressive B) ) and you cache as you cycle along - a great way of doing it. :D

However, I don't like cycling and there's no way I would enjoy your type of day out - if I had to cycle to every cache ( B) ) then I would have zero finds! :unsure:

Also, I like variety and just going to one or two caches on a day out would leave me unfulfilled.

Everyone is different but everyone's method of caching is equal - if you ain't a stats person then this thread ain't aimed at you!

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider

OK--so getting back to the records--was there ever a number thrown out for the most caches found in the Greater London area? I plan to cache until I drop next weekend but will be staying mainly in Regions 1 and 2 (with the occasional brisk hike into Region 3). Can someone give me a goal?

Seasider's non-London record of 25 is impressive and is probably safe, at least from an attempt by me. I will be back in London at the end of March but the lack of both transportation and knowledge of local areas will likely inhibit any attempt I might make. (For instance, where would a good area be that has 30 caches in a reasonably close proximity?) Of course I could just try to follow Seasider's cache path and add a few more at the end of the day.

It sounds like the numbers are important to me, which isn't strictly true. I just like finding caches--and the more the merrier! I also like riding a bike. If I borrow a bike from Sue and Bernie I should be able to find more caches faster...

I'm looking forward to becoming an International geocacher! And if anyone bumps into me this weekend, be careful, as I will be moving fast! :blink:

OzGuff

No-one replied to that one so looks like you will be the first official holder of that record! :D

When did you say you were in London - I'll be down Tue/Wed of next week - are you still around then, if so we could meet up and do some caches together? ;)

An invaluable piece of navigation software is called Tom Tom which navigates me from cache to cache - I live 250 road miles north of Waford so had (and still have)no knowledge of roads around London when I did the 25 the other week. Without Tom Tom the total would have been a lot lower. :P

Britain has very congested roads around urban areas and narrow, twisty roads in country areas. A cache which as the crow flies is just 5 miles away can take you 20-25 mins to get to if the road network is against you. Hampshire (on the south coast) has the most caches and is the best bet for a large total - I am saving the county for the long daylight hours of summer so I can have a really good session! :D

Cheers!

Seasider

We are of a similar ilk to you and tend to cache while walking or cycling ie the caching is usually ancillary to another activity. Having said that, we did have a day out last December when we set out with the sole objective of finding 5 local caches and we really enjoyed ourselves, so perhaps another day dedicated to caching will be considered in the not too distant future. Our favourite cache to date has to be Disgwylfa, but it's not one for the 'Cache 'n Dash enthusiasts - it's in extremely remote country and thus far, only 5 people have actually logged a visit. Anybody out there know of any other really remote caches or should we start another discussion with this question ?

Bottom line for us is that whether you do 1 in a day or 50, it's having a good time that counts and we all seem to be doing that, whatever our motives and incentives !

<SNIP>

When did you say you were in London - I'll be down Tue/Wed of next week - are you still around then, if so we could meet up and do some caches together?  :P

<SNIP>

I arrive the 31st and leave the 7th. Unfortunately, except for the weekend, I will have little time to cache. The meetings I will be attending start at 8am and end at 7pm, so unless you are up for some night-caching..... (Of course, by the time you arrive I plan to have already found every cache in the Greater London area! ;) ) If you are up for night-caching, and just want another body along for the ride, give me a call. I will e-mail my hotel number.

As far as navigating, I am pretty low-tech and plan on using public transport (where available) and a brisk walking pace. Using the A-Z and a tube map I have put together a route that is probably not the most efficient but should be fun! (It also lets me wander through some touristy areas. I mean, it is London after all!)

Cheers!

OzGuff

If you are up for night-caching, and just want another body along for the ride, give me a call. I will e-mail my hotel number.

As far as navigating, I am pretty low-tech and plan on using public transport (where available) and a brisk walking pace. Using the A-Z and a tube map I have put together a route that is probably not the most efficient but should be fun! (It also lets me wander through some touristy areas. I mean, it is London after all!)

Cheers!

OzGuff

I'll be staying Mon/Tue/Wed nights in London and caching during Tue & Wed day so we could certainly meet up after you've had your meetings.

It's impossible to drive in London so your method of attack is exactly the same as mine. :o

I've replied to your e-mail and I'm sure there will be some caches we can do together.

Cheers!

Seasider

OzGuff,

You would be welcome to borrow a bike from our collection (racer, grand tourer or utility workhorse complete with trailer tow hitch).

However, we do not think it would be a good idea for a visitor to attempt riding a bike through London on "our" side of the road - you would not survive! Even we wouldn't attempt it and we were London born and bred. We are Norfolk yokels now.

We like the international bit too - we did a couple in Las Vegas last year, some in Canada (Alberta) and next month Bernie is off to the Oman and will attempt some there - there are only 4 at the moment. It depends of the environment though, in Canada there were some natural hazards that we didn't allow for - bears! We did not visit as many Canadian woodland caches as we planned!

I note that there are some volunteers to join you for your London blitz. That would be a good idea really, bumbling round the Smoke or any other big city, on your own in the dark is not a really good idea. Take a fellow GeoGeek with you.