Usa English Language Use

Prof. Y. Lupardi

As a foreigner using some kind of Internet English I - for the first time - stumbled upon some built-in limitation for the use of the English language in this forum.

And yes, I know of psycho-analytical theories about anal frustrations in USA-culture and I also know the curse-like use of the word 's.h.i.t.' in the USA but this word can be used purely descriptive.

I still wonder: americans seems to need a bathroom for voiding their stuff; in what room do they do their bathing? :unsure:

Fecal matter in my language has at least 10 different words mostly differentiating the consistency and form/color or animal producer. But your language seems only to have some latin-like words or roundabout descriptions left over for use.

There are dung-beetles and s***-flies.

Lately I see many emotional american talkshows where a beep-sound drowns out certain words. And I do not know what words! I am not allowed the hear them, it seems. Am I being protected?

Can anybody tell me which words I should not use in this forum? I found this one out by accident and luckily the filter activates in time to protect me and everybody else in the world. I really do not want make a faux-pass because of culpable innocence, a failing (legally obliged?) word-filter and too less cultural insight.

Making a list would be impossible. Some combinations of words I would never expect to hear from a Tourette Syndrome victim I found in the first Moomintrolls book I picked up. Some cultural differences extend beyond words into phrases and concepts that seem innocent in one culture and would get you punched in the face in another.

1n some parts of the world, you can't say sh1t. P1ss 1s another good example. 1n Austral1a, the word "p1ssed" 1s commonly used, and 1t m1ght mean any or all of three d1fferent th1ngs:

*ur1nated

*mad

*drunk

And p1ss 1s generally understood to mean beer.

1n the US, 1 th1nk 1t just depends on your aud1ence.

What are you wearing in your avatar picture?

BTW, they've banned men from wearing dresses in parts of Australia after 5 PM. ;):blink:

I have lived in the UK for a very short while and also been there MANY times, and one word I heard all the time was FUC*. They say it about everything...

Like:

"My FUC*ING mailbox didn't FUC*ING work today so the FUC*ING mailman couldn't FUC*ING deliver any FUC*ING mail today..."

Did you know that the word SEX means in Sweden the number "Six"?

Btw, Honda releases a new car model named FITTA. I think they forgot to check what that meant in Sweden and it's neighbour countries... How shall we say this gentile? The had to change the name in these countries on the car model. But still there was a lot of jokes about "If I borrow your FITTA tonight, shall I fill it up?", "Shall I wash for FITTA afterwards?", "Ooh, I really like FITTA" and so on...

Now perhaps you start wondering what the word means?

A search on google, for the word on only swedish pages, gives us more than 9700 hits. And they are all about sex, and now I don't mean the swedish word for the number six. ;) Clue? Cut the word Octopussy in half, and throw away one piece of it :blink:

People in Sweden didn't get upset about naming a car after an obscene word of a part of the female body, they just laught about it.. The newspaper had something to write about for a couple of days....

Happy New Year!

I have lived in the UK for a very short while and also been there MANY times, and one word I heard all the time was FUC*. They say it about everything...

Like:

"My FUC*ING mailbox didn't FUC*ING work today so the FUC*ING mailman couldn't FUC*ING deliver any FUC*ING mail today..."

Did you know that the word SEX means in Sweden the number "Six"?

Btw, Honda releases a new car model named FITTA. I think they forgot to check what that meant in Sweden and it's neighbour countries... How shall we say this gentile? The had to change the name in these countries on the car model. But still there was a lot of jokes about "If I borrow your FITTA tonight, shall I fill it up?", "Shall I wash for FITTA afterwards?", "Ooh, I really like FITTA" and so on...

Now perhaps you start wondering what the word means?

A search on google, for the word on only swedish pages, gives us more than 9700 hits. And they are all about sex, and now I don't mean the swedish word for the number six. ;) Clue? Cut the word Octopussy in half, and throw away one piece of it :blink:

People in Sweden didn't get upset about naming a car after an obscene word of a part of the female body, they just laught about it.. The newspaper had something to write about for a couple of days....

Happy New Year!

That's a great story!! LOL!

It reminds me of when Chevrolet tried to sell the Nova to spanish speaking countries... Nova in spanish means don't go (or doesn't go). Not a good name for a car!! :mad:

That's a great story!! LOL!

It reminds me of when Chevrolet tried to sell the Nova to spanish speaking countries... Nova in spanish means don't go (or doesn't go). Not a good name for a car!! :blink:

That reminds me of when I lived in South Africa. Volkswagon brought out a car, which is still there (www.vw.co.za), but not here in North America. It is called the Polo. Not a bad english name for a car. But in Venda, a Southern African language, Polo (pronounced in Venda as paw-law) means, ummmm, well let's just say something that is large that... Oh, you know what I'm talking about! ;)

Soon will we only able to write text like this:

"Today was I looking for a you-know-what, and guess if I was you-know-what when I found the you-know-what and discovered you-know-what inside the you-know-what and that is a you-know-what!"

In the most parts of the world does A mean A, B means B... But here and at other places seems like A means "you-know-what" and B means "the letter after A" just to not offend anýone...

Are people really get upset so easily?

Are people really get upset so easily?

Yes.

And if this is like other moderator jobs, they complain to the admin constantly, including the ever popular "someone else might get upset" cry of fear.

Unfortunately, it's often easier to punish the person who spoke freely than the person who constantly complains, although doing so promotes the realization that complaining is the only thing that shows results and usually results in a lot of unpleasantness for everyone.

Take a look at the posts involving "my cache didn't get approved" or "my travel bug stopped moving" and imagine what the e-mails to the moderators must be like and how many they probably get. At least on the forums people appear to offer some restraint. In e-mail all bets seem to be off.

Edited by bons

Can't we get a really scary guy, like the ones standing at the entrance door to some night clubs? A lot of muscles and no brain? Just standing here at the forum and looking really scary... If you don't obey him - he will drag you along the forum by your feet and kick you out thru the backdoor into the small alley behind this forum!? ;)

Seriously, I can't understand the people that are complaining all the time. We have now 43 caches. A few time has the approvers asked me for more information, and every time has they approved it after given them the info the asked for. Sometimes are the approvers not sure if they can't approve it or not - and then I look thru the forums and geocaching.com to find out if there are any similar cache that has been approved. I mail the approver those waypoints and let the approver look at those caches, perhaps talk to the other approvers and you get it approved.

I understand that they can't have an easy task, I assume that sometimes they get to much info and sometimes no info at all about the caches. But they do a great work... There is guidelines to follow and if the cache is not exactly as the guidelines wants it to be, I think that it can get approved anyway - as long as you are polite and can say to the approvers WHY the cache should be approved. Instead of yelling at them...

You will be treated as you treat everybody else - hopefully :)

Soon will we only able to write text like this:

"Today was I looking for a you-know-what, and guess if I was you-know-what when I found the you-know-what and discovered you-know-what inside the you-know-what and that is a you-know-what!"

I believe you are looking at the origins of the language of the Smurfs....

WebSmurfer